Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Maxell CDR Audio is cmc but marked as Japan

Burn baby burn!

Maxell CDR Audio is cmc but marked as Japan

Postby Vort3xxX on Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:04 pm

I was stumbling through wal mart and bought some maxell cdr audio discs in a 30 pack spindle. They were labeled as "Made in Japan" and I thought that since their cdr-pro line made in japan was yaiyo yuden i'd have good luck here. Ends up the atip data on the cd is cmc magnetics (a taiwan manufacturer). They were either mislabeled with the wrong country of origin or cmc magnetics has found a way to make it pretty opaque as to how not to buy their garbage.

They were the ones in the red and white packaging with the yellow 30 pk in the corner, usp 6 25215 18859 6. I took a photo of them, but i had no webspace to host it :(

Oh yeah... these are the 32x ones.
Vort3xxX
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:29 pm

weird....and scary!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:09 pm

Maxell often uses stickers to cover the bar codes and country of origen, maybe the sticker fell off. But I've never heard of CMC-made Maxell in any case, that is troubling. Ritek is certainly common, can you post the ATIP from this media? The 32x would be a year or more old.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Vort3xxX on Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:27 am

I didn't save the atip information (didin't realize i could). I used the Nero Infotool that came with nero 5.5 win. I taped them back up and returned them to wal mart. They had a whole shelf of the buggers marked as "made in japan", so I doubt the sticker fell off.
Vort3xxX
Buffer Underrun

Postby unclebud on Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:54 pm

toys r us has these on clr for $8 i think
almost bought some, thanks for the info!
unclebud
CD-RW Thug

Postby Centrilium on Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:05 pm

I dunno about you all but have you guys heard of Onkyo which is a world famous for it's A/V receivers/amp?Well their audio cdrs which are sold in Japan are made by CMC as well.For big companies like CMC and RiTEK,they can always made high quality cdrs if they wanted to since almost all of the cdrs in today's market are made by them today.You can't judge a cdr quality by it's name anymore since it's a mature product today and now the other premier companies like TY are shifting their focus on DVD-R instaed.
Centrilium
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:10 am

I saw a 10pak of these at London Drugs today... if they didn't cost like $25 or so I would have bought them... maybe later.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby ratskrad on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:14 pm

I went through this a couple of weeks ago at my local walmart. I have been using the Maxell Music cd-r's for the past year or so. At first they were the 30 packs yellow/gold in color and they were the Taiyo Yuden Made in Japan and had the "Made in Japan" on the disc. Those got scarce and I tried the Maxell cd-r 50 pack multi colored disc. These were also Taiyo Yuden made in Japan but it is not on the disc, but it does say it on the packaging. So a couple of weeks ago I was getting low and ran out for some disc's and saw the 30 packs again and bought a pack and took it home. They did not say Made in Japan but neither do the multi colored ones. So I threw one into the burner to try out and after a few minutes it became a coaster. Mind you I have been using the Taiyo Yudens for more then a year and not a single coaster out of like 600 cd's burned. I am dead to the core and collect Grateful Dead and Dead related shows. So I looked closer at these discs and used Nero Info Tool and it returned a CMC Magnetics as medium info. I was rather surprised. In hindsight I went and pulled the plastic wrapper out of the trash and it said "Made in Taiwan". Well out of the 16 discs I burned 6 are coasters and 2 others play but the lead-in/lead-out did not complete. I know I have an older and picky burner but it never failed me when using the Taiyo Yuden cd-r's. So next day I went back to walmart and they had the 50 packs back in stock which was a much smaller stock when I left. I bought up what they had. Too bad it is all about the bottom line and the heck with a quality product.
Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.
ratskrad
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives