Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Joining 2 DVDs

DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring, editing, copying and transcoding.

Joining 2 DVDs

Postby WillyWonka on Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:13 pm

Hi,

Can anyone give me an idea how I might do the following:

I have 2 complete DVD's (one in ISO format the other in VIDEO_TS format), and each of them is only about 2GB. In theory, therefore, I should be able to fit them on to a single DVD-R.

Can I join them both together, leaving each of them completely intact i.e. somehow put a menu at the front so that when I insert it in to my DVD player I get a menu that asks me which "DVD" I want to access, and then it navigates to that DVD and plays it as if it was the only "DVD" on the disk?

I've tried to read some of the help files on the net, and for the authoring programs I've seen, it looks like you have to take the raw video/audio or VOBS, and make your own menus for them. I have menus for the 2 DVDs, and there are a lot of text and pictures in them, so I don't want to lose them - I just want to add my own on the front.

I'm not really sure where to start with this. :-?

Can someone give me some pointers please?

Thanks,
WillyWonka
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:01 pm

I think you will have to convert the ISO file to VOB first.
Go to www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org for guides.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby WillyWonka on Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:14 pm

burninfool wrote:I think you will have to convert the ISO file to VOB first.
Go to www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org for guides.

Thanks for the reply - extracting the VOBs from the ISO is not a problem, I can do that using Daemon Tools, or ISOBuster or Alcohol120% or ....

My problem is that having read a lot of the guides, they all give me the impression that if I use an authoring program, like Tmpgenc DVD Author for example, I will have to write all my own menus to select particular video clips. I want to keep the menus I have already and just put my own extra one at the front.

Maybe what I'm asking is, does anyone know if there is such a program that will do this for me or am I wasting my time trying to find one?

Without downloading all the authoring programs and trying them all I don't know if I can even do what I want. :(
WillyWonka
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Authoring