Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Need advice for IDE/ multiple device settings

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Need advice for IDE/ multiple device settings

Postby TylerDurden on Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:53 pm

I currently have 2 HD's, a TDK VeloCD CDRW5200B(firmware 67U4), a Plextor PX 708A DVDR± (firmware 1.06), and a either a Pioneer 106s or a Toshiba 1712 DVD-ROM (haven't decided which I am going to use, but it will only be one DVD-ROM). My mobo is an Asus A7v333 with two IDE channels, plus I added a Promise Ultra ATA 133 TX2 PCI IDE controller (latest driver, not sure about the BIOS though).

I originally had my two HD's as master and slave on the Primary IDE of the Promise Controller. I had my VeloCD and DVD-ROM as master and slave on the Primary IDE of my MOBO with the Plextor as the master on the Second IDE of the MOBO.

However, I noticed some bottle-necking, especially running audio or video along with another app, that did not happen when I had my HD on as the master on the MOBO's Primary IDE controller.

So, I switched my two HD's to master and slave on the Primary IDE of the MOBO. I placed my VeloCD and DVD-ROM as the master and slave of the Secondary IDE on the MOBO. And I put the Plex as the master on the Promise Controller's Primary IDE.

However when I tried to burn a CD-R (Sony High Speed CDR) using the Plextor with Nero 6.3.0.2 , I experienced dramatic fluxuations in the buffer size- from 98 to 90 down to 40 a couple times. By swapping the Plextor back to the master on the Secodary IDE on the MOBO, I was able to remedy the buffer problem.

My question is can the Promise IDE controller be used for anything useful, since it was wonky with both my primary HD and DVDR±? And does anyone have any recommendations for optimally configuring those devices?

(Would like to possibly do DVD-ROM to DVD-R copies on the fly. DVD-ROM will be used primarily for ripping.)

Thanks!
TylerDurden
Buffer Underrun

Postby wicked1 on Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:19 pm

I have a promise 133 tx2 also that I used to use. They are useless for optical drives but generally work ok for hard drives. I used a Silicon Image 680 and it was definately better than promise for opticals but still not the greatest. I would stick all the opticals on the mainboard and the hard drives on a controller. Look on ebay for one of the Silicon Images maybe as I have bought them as low as $5.I dont think you are going to pull off a dvdrom to dvdr at 8X on the fly.

I switched my writers over to firewire with the internal converters. http://www.caloptic.com They work great. I use the Silicon Image for 4 hard drives and the onboard for a dvdrom and future hard drives.730 gb is overflowing 8)
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby minchin on Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:00 am

You might want to check if your Promise is sharing IRQ with something or not. If so, you might want to move it to another PCI slot to see if that would help.
Those controller cards are definitely more gear towards HD than optical drives....

Min
minchin
CD-RW Thug

Postby TylerDurden on Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Thanks for the replies! Before comitting to Sil controller card, I may try checking the IRQ and swapping PCI slots. I am quickly starting to see that the optimal use for an IDE controller is with the HD's. If I can clear up the slight bottle-necking, I think the config will be pretty good.

Thanks again.
TylerDurden
Buffer Underrun

Postby colt45 on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 am

Sorry for butting in, but how do you check the IRQ? sounds like something I need to look at myself,

Thanks for that :)
Steven
colt45
Buffer Underrun

Re: Need advice for IDE/ multiple device settings

Postby Shakari on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:32 am

TylerDurden wrote:I currently have 2 HD's, a TDK VeloCD CDRW5200B(firmware 67U4), a Plextor PX 708A DVDR± (firmware 1.06), and a either a Pioneer 106s or a Toshiba 1712 DVD-ROM (haven't decided which I am going to use, but it will only be one DVD-ROM). My mobo is an Asus A7v333 with two IDE channels, plus I added a Promise Ultra ATA 133 TX2 PCI IDE controller (latest driver, not sure about the BIOS though).

I originally had my two HD's as master and slave on the Primary IDE of the Promise Controller. I had my VeloCD and DVD-ROM as master and slave on the Primary IDE of my MOBO with the Plextor as the master on the Second IDE of the MOBO.

However, I noticed some bottle-necking, especially running audio or video along with another app, that did not happen when I had my HD on as the master on the MOBO's Primary IDE controller.

So, I switched my two HD's to master and slave on the Primary IDE of the MOBO. I placed my VeloCD and DVD-ROM as the master and slave of the Secondary IDE on the MOBO. And I put the Plex as the master on the Promise Controller's Primary IDE.

However when I tried to burn a CD-R (Sony High Speed CDR) using the Plextor with Nero 6.3.0.2 , I experienced dramatic fluxuations in the buffer size- from 98 to 90 down to 40 a couple times. By swapping the Plextor back to the master on the Secodary IDE on the MOBO, I was able to remedy the buffer problem.

My question is can the Promise IDE controller be used for anything useful, since it was wonky with both my primary HD and DVDR±? And does anyone have any recommendations for optimally configuring those devices?

(Would like to possibly do DVD-ROM to DVD-R copies on the fly. DVD-ROM will be used primarily for ripping.)

Thanks!

a couple of things I do know:

1: promise chip sets have issuse with IRQ's and slot sharing :)

2: although you can use Optical drives on promise chips its not the most reliable way to use them keep them for HD's :)
Shakari
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion