Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What's Alameda like?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

What's Alameda like?

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:34 pm

I have a friend who is considering a transfer to a position in Alameda, California, and he wants to know what it is like. I found a couple of on-line resources (e.g. here and here), but was wondering if there are any Bay-Area residents here who could give me their personal impressions of Alameda. For example, "It's too close to the Oakland airport so it is noisy all the time" or "It's a really beautiful place, right on the Bay" or "I've lived there and it's nice, but getting there is tough because you have to go through bad sections of Oakland", etc. (I don't know if any of the above are true, but you get the picture of what I am looking for.)

Thanks in advance,

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:37 pm

Being close to an airport rocks! The two parallel runways to MSP, I'm right in the approach line-up, so I get to see all the planes coming in from my house! Sending this out to Monte now who lives in the Bay Area.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby MonteLDS on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:43 pm

I live so close to Alameda. My sister works there. The lovely Alameda man made beach! Alameda is a fine place to live. the Airport is not that close to any residental area. You would most likely hear more nose if you lived in San Leandro then in Alameda. Depends on where you live. I suggest that if you can not live in Alameda then good for you. The city of Hayward my home town is nice. And only 25 mins to Alameda from my house.

My sister said this
"by the bussiness area closes to the tunel and the beach, it is pretty nice, a little better then living right here in hayward. their are condo's and apt there."
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:48 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Being close to an airport rocks!

:lol: Well, yes, for someone who goes by "aviationwiz", but not everyone has the same enthusiasm for airplanes that you do. :wink:

I personally live far enough away from the nearest airport that I don't generally get much traffic directly overhead, but depending on the wind and the weather, incoming flights are sometimes vectored over my house and they sometimes come in quite low. I don't mind (except when trying to watch television - my set turns into a bistatic radar receiver) but others dislike it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Thanks Jonathan.

MonteLDS wrote:I suggest that if you can not live in Alameda then good for you.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand this sentence. Are you saying that you recommend commuting to Alameda rather than living in Alameda, even if the job is in Alameda?

MonteLDS wrote:My sister said this
"by the bussiness area closes to the tunel and the beach, it is pretty nice, a little better then living right here in hayward. their are condo's and apt there."

Please tell her thanks also.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:56 pm

On my other forum, everyone LOVES being right under the flight path. Well, that may be explained by the fact that the forum is on Airliners.net :lol:

Being right under the flight path, you get to see all the action! In addition, my synagouge is also under the same flight path where right at about the place of my synagouge, that's when they bring down the landing gear (my house is pre-landing gear)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby burninfool on Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:20 pm

Driving in the bay area is a nightmare(I commute sometimes) so if your friend can live closer to work the better.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:16 pm

burninfool wrote:Driving in the bay area is a nightmare(I commute sometimes) so if your friend can live closer to work the better.

No public transportation?
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:04 am

cfitz wrote:I don't mind (except when trying to watch television - my set turns into a bistatic radar receiver)

damn!
what an original new use for an old 14" TV.
knew there had to be something to these old things yet.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 am

cfitz wrote:Thanks Jonathan.

MonteLDS wrote:I suggest that if you can not live in Alameda then good for you.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand this sentence. Are you saying that you recommend commuting to Alameda rather than living in Alameda, even if the job is in Alameda?

MonteLDS wrote:My sister said this

Please tell her thanks also.

cfitz

Ya i wouldn't live in Alameda. Just because it's Alameda. Their are some close nicer cities, like Castro Valley, the Hayward Hills, or pleasanton if u want to go very nice. it just can feel blah in Alameda unless u are near the beach downtown area. I guess it depends on what your friends status is. If he has a family i am not sure I would raise my family there. But cost of living there is better then say Danville or Alamo.
Alameda does not have a "BART" station ( www.bart.gov ) so their is not any fast transit. You can take AC (alameda county) transit. but that is all you. They got new buses here a few months back.
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:08 am

Alameda is a fairly cool place. I've lived in the city, south bay and east bay. Had several friends that lived there.

Noise isn't too bad. There is public transportation.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:35 pm

One needs to be aware of the nature of public transportation in California as opposed to that in other parts of the country.

In California, public transportation is just another taxpayer supported welfare program for the illegal alien.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:02 pm

CowboySlim wrote:

One needs to be aware of the nature of public transportation in California as opposed to that in other parts of the country.

In California, public transportation is just another taxpayer supported welfare program for the illegal alien.

Slim

what, no "legal non-aliens" who are poor in the Golden land of California, who don't own a Ferrari and a Jet and have to make do with a bus ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby JamieW on Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:06 pm

You've clearly never been to California. Its like going to Mexico complete with American tourists but ran by hippies and an Austrian.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby burninfool on Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:38 pm

JamieW wrote:You've clearly never been to California. Its like going to Mexico complete with American tourists but ran by hippies and an Austrian.

:D :) :P Too funny!
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:45 pm

This is a bit off topic, but the name "Alameda" rang a bell with me- the Alameda Corridor is a recently opened new billion dollar rail corridor to the port at Los Angeles, joint development by UP and BNSF. But it's named for Alameda Street, at the centre of which it runs, not a nearby town. Otherwise I sure wouldn't mind living near it, for reasons similar to Aviationwiz', but most everybody else would want to avoid it. :wink:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:21 pm

MediumRare wrote:Total lunar eclipse on 4 May. Visible in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia. Start 18:48 UTC, total 19:52-21:08 UTC

thanks for the tip.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:42 pm

what, no "legal non-aliens" who are poor in the Golden land of California, who don't own a Ferrari and a Jet and have to make do with a bus ?

Yes, the few "legal non-aliens" that are economically too poor to afford cars amount to less than 1% of the ridership.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:39 am

what, so that film "Speed" was a hoax ??? :o :x
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby burninfool on Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:06 pm

dodecahedron wrote:what, so that film "Speed" was a hoax ??? :o :x

Yes,Keanu Reeves is too stupid to become a cop and a bus cannot jump a 50ft gap in the freeway. :wink:
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden