Home News Reviews Forums Shop

conjunctions

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Postby MediumRare on Sun May 23, 2004 6:14 am

JamieW wrote:Too bad we can't rate post quality. That would make a more interesting graph.

I can't graph it, but one high quality post that really sticks in my memory is this one.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby MediumRare on Sun May 23, 2004 6:19 am

dodecahedron wrote:it was right after the forum was spammed by those gaming idiots.

I missed that (just got the aftermath). It must have been a "fun" situation.
dodecahedron wrote:well, i've already put my newfound mod powers to good use a few times.
i edited those llllllllllllllooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg URLs.
they really piss me off, forcing me to scroll horizontally.
so i replace them by something like:
[url=http://www.cdrlabs.com]annoyingly long URL @ meritline - edited by dodecahedron.
please don't do that again. use BBCode[/url]

LOL :D That's exactly what I'd do in a case like that. [-X

G
(first use of one of the new emoticons)
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Sun May 23, 2004 8:18 am

LOL that's good, yeah i should add Mr. [-X to this "annoying URL" text :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CowboySlim on Sun May 23, 2004 8:32 pm

VI can't graph it, but one high quality post that really sticks in my memory is this one.

Hey, that was one of mine. That was when I was much newer and Hox didn't realize that I am not one to be trifled with.

Slim =D>
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Sun May 23, 2004 10:17 pm

Oh my but that was a good one. It is good to know I am not the only source of wayward topics. I love the way hox was bowing out even in that one. What an f*$&ing tool he is.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun May 23, 2004 11:55 pm

you know, if people keep arguing with Hoxland, he's going to start posting more, and I'm going to have a harder time surpassing him in number of posts made....

I'm on a deadline here people, common! [-X (j/k)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon May 24, 2004 12:02 am

D_rex,

Remember, it's the quality factor that matters. Unfortunately, it's only total posts, including the trash, that it is possible to statisticize.

Slim :(
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 am

CowboySlim wrote:D_rex,

Remember, it's the quality factor that matters. Unfortunately, it's only total posts, including the trash, that it is possible to statisticize.

Slim :(

Of course my good man :) I'm simply trying to lighten the atmosphere and return this topic to somewhere near the vicinity of where it started.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon May 24, 2004 12:24 am

Now that I look at it, I've almost caught up with eliminator :lol:
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby MediumRare on Mon May 24, 2004 5:14 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Out of curiosity, have you noticed any similar types of posting trends in me?

I did find something special about your postings- Have a look at this list of the top 5 post counts on a single day:
    39 cfitz (6 Mar 2003)
    36 dodecahedron (16 Nov 2003)
    30 CDRecorder (30 Sep 2003)
    29 dolphinius_rex (21 May 2004)
    29 Kennyshin (20 May 2004)
(A day starts/ends anywhere between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m Central European Time for this purpose.)

Your personal high was on Friday, just after my conjunction prognosis, and your second highest day (22 posts) was yesterday. But I guess you are taking the advice in this post and this post seriously. :wink:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 24, 2004 7:47 pm

hehe, well I won't try to deny the increase in post numbers :wink:

But I think in general you will not find too many superfulous posts by me. I am trying to keep up quality even though I'm posting a lot more. Actually, to be honest, I could be saying a lot more then I am on a lot of things, but I've been glorifying too many rumours as it is! My info is always strongest when it has to do with the corporate end of this industry, since that where most of my first hand info is.

On that note, expect a major price drop on media in one week.... well, ok, no one will see it until distributors actually purchase the media at the new low prices... but there will be a big drop in media prices coming around June 1st at the manufacturer level. It should make a lot of Taiwanese media competitive to Chinese and Hongkong made media! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 28, 2004 1:08 pm

I think you need a new graph now MediumRare :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri May 28, 2004 5:00 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I think you need a new graph now MediumRare :wink:

Yeah, I saw that you made the top 10 about 8 hours and 15 posts ago. :D

You've no doubt heard of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The standard formulation is that the product of uncertainties in postion and momentum (or 2 other canonically conjugate variables) is a constant (Planck's constant).

Applied to Forum posts it might read "The product of uncertainty in post counts and posting rates in a constant". In physics, this means that the very act of observing a state will disturb it. Transfer this to the forum, and you'll see that some people are affected by observations of post counts, especially if a "goal" is at hand.

My projections were based on mean posting rates for ca. 1 month, so short term effects are discounted. Using a shorter base line is more susceptible to short term trends (e.g. heavy school work should dampen post rates as it apparently did for Awiz, a new toy demands sharing the joy with others).

I won't say any more and I won't update the graphs (for a while).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Fri May 28, 2004 5:51 pm

MediumRare wrote:You've no doubt heard of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The standard formulation is that the product of uncertainties in postion and momentum (or 2 other canonically conjugate variables) is a constant (Planck's constant).

isn't it greater or equal to Plank's constant?
delta x times delta p >= hbar ?
Last edited by dodecahedron on Sat May 29, 2004 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 28, 2004 6:48 pm

No worries, I didn't really expect a new graph, I was just being boastful :P

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sat May 29, 2004 4:54 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Now that I look at it, I've almost caught up with eliminator :lol:
It happened sometime today...

dodecahedron wrote:
MediumRare wrote:You've no doubt heard of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The standard formulation is that the product of uncertainties in postion and momentum (or 2 other canonically conjugate variables) is a constant (Planck's constant).

isn't it greater or equal to Plank's constant?
delta x times delta p >= hbar ?

You're right, of course.:oops: Uncertainties are usually lower limits- but it was late in the evening after a long week. I think my main point came across, though (I didn't want to get into commutators or other technical details).

Incidentally, that the constant h-bar (h/2*pi) crops up throughout quantum mechanics (more so than h) is a historic fluke- namely that Planck used frequency and not angular velocity in his revolutionary formula: Image is equivalent to Image).

G
(who used a too large font for the formulas :roll:)
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Re: conjunctions

Postby MediumRare on Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:55 am

MediumRare wrote:There are several conjuctions due shortly (other than "and", "or", "but" etc 8)).

First and foremost is the coming superior conjunction of Venus with the sun, also known as a "transit of Venus" (no, this has nothing to do with bus rides for beauty queens :wink:).

This rare event occurs when the Sun, Venus and Earth lie directly in line and (usually) comes in pairs 8 years apart. It's due this year on 8 June- the last one was 121.5 years ago, and after 2012, you have to wait 105.5 years for the next one- so go out and see it!!!

The full course of the transit is visible in Euope and most of Asia and Africa (and of course in the land of the midnight sun). Korea, Japan and Australia see the first part prior to sunset. The final stages can be seen after sunrise in North America east of the Rockies. There's a good article in the May 2004 issue of Scientific American or vist http://www.transitofvenus.org.

If there's an observatory or Astronomy society near you, check with them- I'm sure they'll have some activities going.

G

This starts in about 25 min. If you can see the sun, grab your eclipse glasses or head to your local observatory!!!

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Transit of Venus is history

Postby MediumRare on Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:49 am

Well it's over. Did anyone else see it? We had fantastic weather here (for a change)- sunny, clear skies, no wind and warm. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby MediumRare on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:27 pm

OK, I'll post a couple of pictures to show what this was all about. I realize that it's a bit different than most topics here (although Spaz did post something about the sun a while ago, with a wonderfully rambling contribution by Tolyngee), but it's something that interests me. I like to share enthusiasm.

This is my telescope, which I used to watch the transit of Venus. It's a small refractor (80 mm), but ideal for solar projection. I rigged up the screen the evening before the big event (main component: a tomtao paste can epoxied to an aluminum plate). You can see the image of the sun on the screen. We set up at a busy intersection in Frankfurt at 7 a.m. and followed the first phase there (ca. 1.5 hours). Interesting to watch all the people hurry by. Some did ask "can you see anything yet?" and had a look. Interestingly, just about all drivers waiting at the lights stared our way, and most pedestrians just looked through us. :roll:

Later I visited a friend who was also watching and set up the 'scope again in his yard. He took the picture and a few more of the projected image of the sun.

This picture is taken about a minute before 3rd contact at 13:02 MEST. The "black hole" is Venus, just before it starts to leave the line of sight of the sun. If you look carefully, you can see a couple of sun spots to the right of Venus, about 1/3 of the way across. They're not very big- during active solar phases, some sun spots (or clusters) show as large as Venus here!

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:33 pm

yep, i did see it, pics posted in a website of some company selling scientific equipment. the pics were updated every minute or so.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Hey MediumRare, any chance we can get some new posting graphs on conjunctions again? I'm curious where things are stacking up now, roughly 10 months later :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:34 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Hey MediumRare, any chance we can get some new posting graphs on conjunctions again? I'm curious where things are stacking up now, roughly 10 months later :D

I'll see what I can do- may take a couple of days. Problems:
- It's too late for the traditional "Ides of March" post (even in the Julian calendar).
- It's Tuesday.
- My DSL line finally came through :D :D after over 5 months of waiting :roll: and I have to set up the hardware tonight.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:35 am

MediumRare wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Hey MediumRare, any chance we can get some new posting graphs on conjunctions again? I'm curious where things are stacking up now, roughly 10 months later :D

I'll see what I can do- may take a couple of days. Problems:
- It's too late for the traditional "Ides of March" post (even in the Julian calendar).
- It's Tuesday.
- My DSL line finally came through :D :D after over 5 months of waiting :roll: and I have to set up the hardware tonight.

G

No worries, and no rush :)

I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts in adding a little extra "grooviness" to the forum! :D :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:17 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Be warned cfitz... in 15 years, I'll be catching up!! :lol:

I've been watching for this one for the last couple of years and have been gathering various bits of information for a trend. Now it's imminent (and a fair bit sooner than D_R figured). You don't need rocket science (or thermodynamics :wink:) to see that this will happen today or tomorrow (delta of 9 posts as of this writing).

And all the lovely graphs I've been planning will be too late and superfluous. :cry: The Ides of March are too late and the "Ides of January" are already gone and I don't have the time to an appropriate discourse. Maybe I'll get arounf to a "post mortem" this weekend.

The earth shakes and continues to revolve around the sun.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Hey MediumRare!

I'd be lying if I claimed I hadn't been paying attention to that myself :wink:

A lot has changed between then and now... for instance, I spend MUCH more time on CDRlabs while at work! :lol:

I also have more interesting things to post about on a more regular basis... and I've started eyeing Dodecahedron as my next target too :P

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to The Beer Garden