Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Does BestBuy do pricematching?

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

Does BestBuy do pricematching?

Postby pchilson on Wed May 26, 2004 3:22 pm

Can't find this information on their website.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby vsekh on Wed May 26, 2004 3:26 pm

I believe they only do in-store pricematching from other retail store ads that come in the weekly newspaper ads(not from online stores).
vsekh
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Wed May 26, 2004 3:57 pm

dang, Sam's club is carrying the Pioneer DVR-A07XLB4PK for $126.33 and BestBuy wants $179 for it. No chance of them pricematching this is there?

Sams only takes Discover and cash/check
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Wed May 26, 2004 4:59 pm

yes - they WILL match the price if:

1) it's a local Sam's &

2) Sam's got it in stock :wink:
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Thu May 27, 2004 6:51 am

... or just go to Fry's & get it for $109.99 (w.mir) ! :wink:
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Thu May 27, 2004 7:31 am

eliminator wrote:or just go to Fry's & get it for $109.99 (w.mir) !
Good price but unfortunatley the cost of the plane ticket would kill the deal... #-o
We have all the box stores here except Fry's and Staples...
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Thu May 27, 2004 9:00 am

sorry :)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu May 27, 2004 3:15 pm

vsekh wrote:I believe they only do in-store pricematching from other retail store ads that come in the weekly newspaper ads(not from online stores).

That is correct and the item must be in-stock at the other store you're pricematching with.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Thu May 27, 2004 7:10 pm

BB will pricematch as long as you can provide an ad or flyer that shows the lower price. Item must be in stock at the competitor too. They are adamant about not pricematching Internet pricing.

I actually went to BB 2 years ago and asked them to pricematch something from Sears. The slaesman asked to see a flyer and as soon as I showed him the printout of the webpage, he said "We don't do Internet pricematching". THis even though the Sears deal was a buy online pick up at the store deal. He told me "Go buy it at Sears".
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Fri May 28, 2004 1:00 pm

I will repeat what was emphasized earlier: it must be a local store if you want to pricematch. Example: I live near Memphis, TN, and a Staples add will get you nowhere with Best Buy or Circuit City because there is no local Staples.
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby socheat on Fri May 28, 2004 1:14 pm

Best Buy doesn't typically pricematch Warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's. The reason being is that you have to pay a yearly fee to those places to get their "membership" prices. On top of that, Costco and Sams (at least the couple near me) don't do over the phone price quoting, and they don't let you take a photocopy of the price tag, with the price, out of the store.

How do I know this? Because last year, I saw a 36" Toshiba HDTV at Costco for $1500, and at Best Buy for $1900. We wanted to get a price match, so we asked what would happen if we had Best Buy call to confirm their price. They said that they aren't allowed to do that, "corporate policy". So, we then asked them to photocopy the price tag for us. They said they could do it, but would have to block out the price. Again, "corporate policy". So, we took it and hand wrote the price on there. We went over to Best Buy and showed them the tag. They said that they aren't supposed to pricematch Sam's Club and Costco, but since we were also going to get the 4 year service plan, they'd make an exception. Also, they only matched the exact price, instead of +10% the difference, since they were "making an exception". :roll: So we got the TV, and two days later cancelled the service plan. :D We also later found out the reason why Costco was so much cheaper was because the TV was a slightly different model. \:D/
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:26 pm

Socheat wrote:How do I know this? Because last year, I saw a 36" Toshiba HDTV at Costco for $1500, and at Best Buy for $1900. We wanted to get a price match, so we asked what would happen if we had Best Buy call to confirm their price. They said that they aren't allowed to do that, "corporate policy". So, we then asked them to photocopy the price tag for us. They said they could do it, but would have to block out the price. Again, "corporate policy". So, we took it and hand wrote the price on there. We went over to Best Buy and showed them the tag. They said that they aren't supposed to pricematch Sam's Club and Costco, but since we were also going to get the 4 year service plan, they'd make an exception. Also, they only matched the exact price, instead of +10% the difference, since they were "making an exception". :roll: So we got the TV, and two days later cancelled the service plan. :D We also later found out the reason why Costco was so much cheaper was because the TV was a slightly different model. \:D/

The reason they did the pricematch was indeed because you bought the service plan. They press their employees hard to sell them and they have huge profit margins. A $100 TV service plan costs employees $15 after a 5% markup. The other thing is the TV has a decent amount of margin too. They likely still had margin on the sale.
Jim
CD-RW Player

Return to Hot Deals