Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Fuji/TY longevity - 35mm film lasted only 30 years.

Burn baby burn!

Fuji/TY longevity - 35mm film lasted only 30 years.

Postby Coyote on Sat May 29, 2004 5:26 pm

I'm very worried about how long these Fuji CD-R's will last me, and if Fuji now REALLY makes quality products. Recently, I've been scanning in some old 35mm slides from my dad. They are probably at least 30 years old. The Fuji 35mm slides all lost their color, or changed to one color (pink). So I'm going to have to make the scans black&white. The Kodak 35mm slides all retained their original color and look great. Luckily he didn't use too many rolls of Fuji film.

So as you can see, I'm having second thoughts on Fuji's longevity and quality control.
Coyote
CD-RW Thug

Postby Justin42 on Sat May 29, 2004 5:45 pm

Well, you definitely have legitimate concerns, but keep in mind that film isn't the same as optical media. Fuji doesn't even make their own discs but repackages. Not sure if the film industry works the same way.

I guess my point is Fuji is considered one of the best media makers now and those of us who have tried a lot of brands find many of Fuji's products among the best on the market. But since blank CDs/DVDs haven't been around for 30 years, no one knows what will REALLY happen.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby PadG on Sun May 30, 2004 8:08 am

When one talks about longevity of films, it very important to keep in mind also that there are other variables. In particular, the processing of that film. I would venture to guess that the reason that the slides faded, or changed color is due to improper processing - the chemicals had NOT been thoroughly washed off the slides when they were processed.
What is this life, if full of cares...
PadG
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun May 30, 2004 4:50 pm

Justin42 wrote:Well, you definitely have legitimate concerns, but keep in mind that film isn't the same as optical media. Fuji doesn't even make their own discs but repackages. Not sure if the film industry works the same way.

I guess my point is Fuji is considered one of the best media makers now and those of us who have tried a lot of brands find many of Fuji's products among the best on the market. But since blank CDs/DVDs haven't been around for 30 years, no one knows what will REALLY happen.

Actually, Fuji *DOES* make their own optical media, but I believe they only have one plant, and their production is very limited. Consequently it only really appears in Europe, and not in North America... well at least NORMALLY, some real Fuji media has been known to surface here from time to time.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun May 30, 2004 11:05 pm

If my CD-R's last 30 years, I'd be quite satisfied! Of course, I would hope they'd last longer, but even still, 30 years is a long time!
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby sgegreen on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:42 pm

I'd be slightly worried, too, because slide films are mostly processed by the manufacturer. If all the Fuji slides are bleached to a pink colour that suggests a problem with how they have been stored. The dyes in Kodachrome film are supposed to be among the longest-lasting ever created.
sgegreen
Buffer Underrun

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:16 pm

We are talking 30 years ago as well. The Japanese products were considered a bit cheap and cheerful back then, which is not the case any more.

I don't think you can extrapolate anything meaningful from the film longevity really.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:05 pm

Thanks for the notice about the fading slides. I'll have to check my parents collection, we stored our in metal file folders and I hope they havent deteriorated much.

My parents started using Fujifilm in the early 70's because it was less expensive than Kodak. We also used K-Mart's bargan brand "Focus Film". My parents used those cheap Kodak Instamatics with the drop in film cartridges but they took good enough snapshots.

Im starting to back up my CD-R's now onto FujiFilm DVDs. I wonder how long they will last?
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives