Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NEWS ALERT: President Reagan Has Died

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

NEWS ALERT: President Reagan Has Died

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:56 pm

Former US President Ronald Reagan has died, reports are saying, as of 4 minutes ago, at 4:51 PM EST. Details will be coming soon.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby ClayBuster on Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:03 pm

Rick
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:11 pm

R.I.P.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:33 pm

Poor guy. Probably the best president we've ever had. I guess if you think about it, living to 93 is pretty damn good though...
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:01 pm

Boba_Fett wrote:Poor guy. Probably the best president we've ever had.

You're kidding right? Personally I don't understand why Republicans worship this guy like a god.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby burninfool on Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:17 pm

Ian wrote:You're kidding right? Personally I don't understand why Republicans worship this guy like a god.

I think Reagan was the greatest president in our generation,he was like Americas' grandfather.

RIP Gipper. :(
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:19 pm

Yeah, maybe the grandfather of our country's huge deficite. Trickle down economy? Oh yes.. that worked so well.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Boba_Fett on Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:51 pm

Ian wrote:
Boba_Fett wrote:Poor guy. Probably the best president we've ever had.

You're kidding right? Personally I don't understand why Republicans worship this guy like a god.

Never said he was god :wink: While perfection is impossible in humans, I think Reagan was second only to Lincoln. And Reaganomics kicked ass :P
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:54 pm

Please enlighten me to why he was so great.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby tazdevl on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:22 pm

Ian wrote:Yeah, maybe the grandfather of our country's huge deficite. Trickle down economy? Oh yes.. that worked so well.

Not to snipe, but let's talk about Democrat fiscal policies and the .com blowout.

Shall we also remember the deficit was around before Reagan and rather large as well. Not to mention that spending helped us win the Cold War, the Soviet Union couldn't keep up.

I'm thinking that helping to end the Cold War probably qualifies as a significant contribution, don't you?

I'm independent BTW.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:30 pm

How did he end it? By spending the USSR to death? Anyone remember the waste of money called the Star Wars project? And no, I'm not talking about the movies.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ClayBuster on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:42 pm

I thought he was a great man and I hope he can now Rest in Peace. He only pissed me off once and that was when he said no more new Machineguns in 1986.

God bless Ronald Reagan, an American President, who made a difference in the World through his humor, candor, honesty and resolve.

He wasn't perfect but he was a man that didn't leave any doubt on where he stood.
Rick
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:07 am

Ian is a true Democrat! Only recall the bad stuff that Republicans do :lol:
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:16 am

MonteLDS wrote:Ian is a true Democrat! Only recall the bad stuff that Republicans do :lol:

I honestly can't think of anything outstanding that Reagan did. Definitely nothing that put him in the same ranks as Lincoln.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ClayBuster on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:20 am

Honestly Ian WTF did Lincoln do?
Rick
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:29 am

Invented Lincoln logs? :wink:

No seriously, I will admit that Lincoln is overrated. Yeah, he played a big part in the Civil War and freed the slaves, but his assasination was an even bigger part of history. Personally, I don't think Kennedy would be as remembered as much either.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby XXXXX on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:52 am

I'll tell you why not only Republicans, but huge percentages of Democrats think highly of Reagan. To quote this website:

...But Reagan's admirers are not limited to the far-right faithful. The former president fares extremely well among the American public, achieving a 78 percent overall approval rating in a recent Gallup poll. Perhaps more significantly, Reagan is also steadily gaining respect among academics and historians, the same classes who scoffed at his economic and Cold War policies in the 1980s.

Last year two lists ranking the presidents, one compiled by C-SPAN, the other by The Wall Street Journal, placed Reagan near the top of the presidential heap, at 11th and 8th respectively. This puts Reagan in the "near great" category on the Journal's list.

Both of these rankings mark a major shift from Arthur Schlesinger Jr.'s widely known 1996 ranking of the presidents, which placed Reagan in 25th place.

In contrast, Bill Clinton fell right in the middle on both of the lists, ranked at 21 by C-SPAN's historians, and at 24 by the Journal's panel, which placed Clinton in the "average" category. He has the lowest ranking of any two-term president aside from Ulysses Grant.

What accounts for this disparity? Both are two-term presidents of the modern era, but why does one find Thomas Jefferson and Theodore Roosevelt as his peers, while the other takes his place with Martin Van Buren and Chester Arthur?

Here, just read this one page at this web site which lists 11 points concisely.

Also, you can just watch the news and find out. I only watch Fox News anymore, because the CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC are totally liberal biased. Even by their own admission, all key personnel and announcers admit to being 68-70% liberal & Democratic.

• 1) It is true that he had huge spending deficits, and the Iran-Contra debacle, so I will concede those up front. There has never been any leader without problems/mistakes.
  • 2) If you look at the last 25 years, it is pretty obvious that USA had a strong ability to withstand his deficits, and it was really over-rated. What avid critics of defecit spending do not understand is it can be very effective at pulling an economy out of a recession, which it did in this case.
  • 3) Reagan dropped the crippling 90% income tax brackets, and reduced corporate and capital gains taxes which allows companies and people to start spending more of their own money building and expanding business and other development. He presided over the greatest economic resurgence in history. "His policies created 17 million new jobs. One-fourth of the new jobs were created in 68 consecutive months. Black unemployment was cut in half."
  • 4) Reagan understood that like the Islamic terrorists and other Arab/Persian cultures, the Soviet Union only responded to force, or a show of force. I like to compare these groups to the Klingon's, and both Reagan and Bush understand that reality. In any case, there is no question that Reagan's huge military spending and tough stance made the Soviets realize it was futile to try matching our arms race.
  • 5) Star Wars may have been controversial at the time, but with ongoing investment, it is no longer speculative...and it seems pretty logical to have a space based weapon that can shoot down missiles, rather than massive numbers of additional nuclear missiles as the deterrent. At the very least, you should be able that destroying the radioactive nuclear stockpiles will benefit all of humanity.
  • 6) Reagan's optimism brought America out of a crippling recession, double digit inflation, interest rates over 20%, and the national stigma of Nixon's Watergate, and the Vietnam War.
  • 7) He was a religious, moral, and man of principles. He had a good sense of humor, and was able to inspire and uplift our nation unlike any President in the last 30-40 years. Kennedy was also able to do this.
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:53 am

you guys know he was oldest living american president
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:57 am

Reagan suffered for 10 years, and it was his time, as hox pointed out, he was the longest living president. I may not have agreed with him on most, if not all issues, but the man was a true patriot, he fought for what he believed in, and served his country well.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby VEFF on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:43 pm

burninfool wrote:
Ian wrote:You're kidding right? Personally I don't understand why Republicans worship this guy like a god.

I think Reagan was the greatest president in our generation,he was like Americas' grandfather.

RIP Gipper. :(

He was a very nice person, and my condolences to the Reagan family.

However, I get a feeling it was Nancy and, possibly, Ronald's advisors who ran the show while he was in office.
I remember the time the press asked Reagan a question and Nancy whispered a suitable reply to Ronald, so he could answer the question appropriately.
This might have been an exception, and I could be wrong, but I still remember this incident to this day...
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:37 pm

Yesterday, one of America’s greatest President past away. President Reagan came to us at time when the morale of this country was rock bottom. In my opinion, President Reagan gave back America the respect she so deserved. He always put America first and gave Americans optimism!

My condolences to his family and GOD BLESS THE GIPPER.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:58 pm

Who is Nancy?

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:59 pm

pranav81 wrote:Who is Nancy?

::Pranav::

His wife.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:46 pm

Thats too bad, but I also agree with Ian. He was suffering and so was his family, my condolences to them.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby XXXXX on Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:04 pm

I forgot also until watching the coverage today that Reagan was re-elected by every US state, except Minnesota. I don't think that has ever happened in US history.

Even if his only accomplishment was ending the Cold War, and reversing the nuclear arms race, that alone would make his contribution one of the greatest of any US President. If you watch the news, it becomes obvious even to the most hardened critic how Reagan was the greatest president since FDR, and one of the 5-10 best US Presidents we have ever had.

His loss is being felt throughout the world...even by Gorbachev. That is yet another measure of his accomplishments.
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to The Beer Garden