Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Mini DVDRWs... Now on their way ;-)

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Mini DVDRWs... Now on their way ;-)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:07 pm

I'm thinking about abusing my contacts at Optodisc and bringing in about 200 (1 box) of these mini DVDRWs to sell off on various forums and stuff. How do people feel about this format?

Originally I was completely uninterested in it myself, but after I received a sample of the Mini 2x DVD-RWs they have, I fell in love with its' convenience of size and decent storage capacity (compared to say a floppy disc or 8cm CD-R... or even a 12cm CD-R!).

I could get 2x DVD-RWs, but I might be able to get 4x DVD+RWs too. The 2x DVD-RWs burn at 4x on the Pioneer DVR-107 with hacked firmware pretty nicely so far though, and Optodisc seems to have quality issues with their DVD+R media so I'm not keen on trying their DVD+RWs.

So what do people suggest? I'd be selling the Mini 2x DVD-RWs at (prices removed so as to not tick off other resellers... Please PM me for pricing, special pricing is given for CDRlabs.com members)

So, comments? Suggestions?
Last edited by dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:35 pm

Might be fun to have one just to play with. ;) Esp. the 2x -RW, since I've never played with -RW, much less tried overspeeding one.
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:46 pm

Woohoo! 100% positive response so far :D

You gotta love skewed statistics :lol: :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TheCDBurner on Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:02 pm

I'd be interested in the +RW discs; I have not/will not use -RW. A like the mini discs alot, I've used several of the CD-R & RW discs before, mostly for keeping the apps I use the most on for quick reinstalls. With a mini DVD, I could slap the Windows installer on the disc too. Handy :)

Especially for when I have to fix someone elses computer...
TheCDBurner
CD-RW Player

Postby XXXXX on Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:22 pm

Dolphin, to be honest while they look cute, I don't think they would be as practical as were the small CD's for distributing a single program or song.

Once I went to DVD for storing media and data, I largely wanted that format for the increased storage capacity. It's not that much more difficult to have a standard size DVD as far as portability. At 2-5 times the expense of a standard DVD, with the reduced capacity...I don't see it as anything other than a novelty.
Kerry is the most liberal US Senator in Washington, who has more of a sourpuss disposition than Lieberman.

He sucks the way he flips and then flops...which is why he will be defeated!

Where do they get these guys?
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:36 pm

I don't know... they still hold 1.36GB or so... that's not bad.

Personally, I really liked the mini CD-Rs for a while, but eventually found them to small capacity wise to be of much use. I think that 1.36GB is not too bad though... I mean it's no 12cm disc, but it's still more then a regular 700MB CD-R!

I think that they are worth having one in the house of... other then that, I don't know. Of course, everyone's needs will differ. I have 5-6 computers running in my household at any given time, and only 2 of them are mine... so my needs are likely a little different then the average user :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby XXXXX on Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:23 pm

Yeah, like I say....I might get 1 or 2 as a novelty....but the standard size DVD or CD is not a big deal for portability.
Kerry is the most liberal US Senator in Washington, who has more of a sourpuss disposition than Lieberman.

XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:11 pm

XXXXX wrote:Yeah, like I say....I might get 1 or 2 as a novelty....but the standard size DVD or CD is not a big deal for portability.

Mini CD-Rs and DVDRs will fit in your shirt breastpocket though :roll:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby XXXXX on Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:24 pm

No argument there. They have their benefits. BTW, my understanding is the recordable surface of a DVD is not as sturdy as a CD. Do these cute little donuts come with cases?

Just saw them at IO Products

XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:19 pm

Might be interested - be nice to distribute home video in cards.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:59 pm

Yes, they come in cases :D they are exactly the same as shown on the site you linked to... only cheaper :D :D :D

I'll try to get some in the next month for sale then... maybe I'll try to get the 4x DVD-RWs :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:21 pm

hey I would be interested in this! mini dvd's are cool. 4x of course would be better. but not like 2x would take that long either.
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:26 am

MonteLDS wrote:hey I would be interested in this! mini dvd's are cool. 4x of course would be better. but not like 2x would take that long either.

Yeah, I don't actually expect to get 4x DVD-RWs from Optodisc just yet... well, it'll take a month to ship anyways!! so we'll see what I can do :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:08 am

Okay, I have more info now:

4x DVD-RWs are a long ways off....

2.4x and 4x DVD+RWs (the mini ones) are not yet being made, and they aren't going to start just to fill an order of 200pcs just for me :roll:

So it's gonna be the Mini 2x DVD-RWs.

So, here's the question, how many should I order in? I'm thinking between 100 and 200 pieces. I could even order 1pc if I wanted to though, but a full box is 200pcs.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:40 pm

Alright, I've ordered 200pcs from Optodisc... they'll be here in probably 30-40 days.... it'll be a while before 4x DVD-RWs are here, so we'll have to make due with these.

I'll be having both Canadian and United States'ian distribution, so no international shipping across borders for anyone :wink:

Pricing will be very good, and deffinatly better then ANY online company offers. If it *really* comes down to it, I'll price match, but I HIGHLY doubt anyone will be able to compare with my pricing :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:39 pm

United States'ian? Just say American. :lol:
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:58 pm

aviationwiz wrote:United States'ian? Just say American. :lol:

But American refers to any dweller within either North or South America [-X

I can't help it if United States'ians think they ARE North *and* South America all on their own #-o

FYI: The Mini DVD-RWs are scheduled to leave on the next plane or boat heading to Optodisc America from Optodisc Taiwan... so anywhere from 5-40 days from now I should have them :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:35 pm

Wow, nice variety of time. Hopefully it's not FedEx, otherwise it'll be 10-80 days, OY!

:lol:

When people refer to something as American, they mean the United States of America, not anywhere on either American continent.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby ClayBuster on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:11 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Wow, nice variety of time. Hopefully it's not FedEx, otherwise it'll be 10-80 days, OY!

When people refer to something as American, they mean the United States of America, not anywhere on either American continent.

Here in Detroit we call Canada Fake America :lol:

I'd also Like a couple of the Mini-DVD's
Rick
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:55 pm

Don't worry it'll be UPS :wink:

And just because things *ARE* one way, that doesn't mean it's the right way :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:51 pm

Mini recordable DVD discs are great for camcorders. Sometimes they can be used like USB memory sticks. Usually, mini CD's and mini DVD's made out of the regular 12cm discs. That's one reason why they cost more.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:28 pm

So are these going be in "packs"
eg. 5-pack or are they single DVDs? Do they come with mini Cases or are they in a stand?
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:33 pm

They will come in cases, and I believe dolphin is going to be selling them by the disc, but I'm not 100% sure.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:24 pm

They come in Jewel cases, and are sold per unit.

Still not 100% when they will arrive.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:33 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Wow, nice variety of time. Hopefully it's not FedEx, otherwise it'll be 10-80 days, OY!

:roll:

One bad experience doesn't make an entire company bad.

Shipped something overnight yesterday with FedEx, and it's already on my doorstep at home waiting for me. I'll let y'all know how my experiment with running an Athlon XP-M in my home system goes. :D
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to The Beer Garden