Home News Reviews Forums Shop

WTF! Can my teacher do this?

What was that?

WTF! Can my teacher do this?

Postby aviationwiz on Wed May 26, 2004 8:44 pm

Today I was sick, and absent from school, it was an excused absence, as my mom called in.

My Science teacher called my Dad about a paper that I didn't turn in today which was due (because I wasn't there!) and said that by turning it in tomorrow, which is when I expect to be back in school, I loose 20 pts. on the paper. Can my Science teacher do that, even if it is absent excused (which it is

EDIT: That's 20%, not 20 pts. It's worth 500 pts. so it's 100 pts. off, mark my words, I *WILL* fight for those pts.
Last edited by aviationwiz on Wed May 26, 2004 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Wed May 26, 2004 8:47 pm

I'm sure he can, but it seems a little extreme for high school. It's not like you were there and didn't do it.

Is this the reason why you were "sick" today?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Wed May 26, 2004 8:56 pm

Nope, I was actually sick.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Thu May 27, 2004 1:31 am

Wait until you get to college: no late essays, no excuses, and most importantly, no mommy or daddy. :wink: Your teacher's side of the argument would be to ask you why you could not send the paper in anyway? It sounds like a major paper, therefore it should not be taken lightly. I'm sure your professor assigned this paper a while ago, thus you should have done most of the work in advance, gradually leading up to the due date. I'm sure your teacher has heard your "excuse" plenty of times before. Regardless of whether you called in sick because you finished the paper or not, a due date is a due date and it should be followed.

That's the teacher's perspective. Do I agree with it, per se? That depends, I understand both sides (the student's and the teacher's) to the issue. All I have to say is, prepare yourself to meet deadlines regardless of illness, not counting an illness which hospitalizes you for a week or more.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Thu May 27, 2004 4:24 am

Bad luck,aviationwiz. Maybe you can get a doctor to testify to the fact that you really were unwell?
TheWizard is right... just you wait until you enter college! No piece of cake,that.

Wizard, what degree are you pursuing?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu May 27, 2004 3:14 pm

In College, professors don't give a shit. You better find a way to turn it in, or else it'll be points off even if its a few mins late. That is why I've never been absent when something big is due.

Even if you were ill, your mommy could have atleast turned in the paper into the teacher for you. This is high school and you need to make arrangements for yourself, that is how life is. You have to be responsible for your own actions and deadlines. Atleast your teacher is strict and those are the ones we hate now, but will be thankful for down the line. I know my message sounds harsh, but it's reality.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri May 28, 2004 8:20 am

bhairavp wrote:Wizard, what degree are you pursuing?

I already received a degree in Geography. So, I'm all done with school...unless I go to graduate school down the road. :P
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 28, 2004 10:40 am

TheWizard wrote:
bhairavp wrote:Wizard, what degree are you pursuing?

I already received a degree in Geography. So, I'm all done with school...unless I go to graduate school down the road. :P

I don't have a degree in anything, and probably never will :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Sat May 29, 2004 12:35 am

While I can appreciate that live has many curves, reality sucks. But, one has to be responsible for their deadlines. There were many times when I just didn't go to class to avoid a test, paper, project, etc. And yes, I paid the price and learned an important lesson.

Now, aviationwiz, I'm not saying that you were not sick, I'm just saying that teachers have heard all the excuses and will lump all in the same group. I'm sure that if you are a good student, the teacher will make every effort to excuse your absence.

BTW, I have a degree, but do not use it. My job has nothing to do with what I studied.

Good Luck aviationwiz!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun May 30, 2004 10:56 pm

ruderacer wrote:BTW, I have a degree, but do not use it. My job has nothing to do with what I studied.

Rarely do people get a job in the field they received a degree in.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 31, 2004 12:03 am

TheWizard wrote:
ruderacer wrote:BTW, I have a degree, but do not use it. My job has nothing to do with what I studied.

Rarely do people get a job in the field they received a degree in.

Which is one of the reasons I don't have a degree :wink: I'd probably have to go to Europe to get a degree in anything similar to my interests :(

Oh well, such is the life of a media enthusiast! I'm 100% self taught, and still can't find another Canadian in my area to get together with to talk about Optical media related theories/issues.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Mon May 31, 2004 2:21 pm

aviationwiz that is fair if you ask me. They did it to me in High School. You need to make arrangements with the teacher to get it turned in on time or give it to a friend if you have any you trust like that to turn it in for you. There was a student in my high school that had pneumonia and missed 3 days of school during final exams and they failed him that semester. The parents fought the school board and had a huge ordeel with the papers and everything. The decision was you need to learn to be responsible in high school as thats the way life is.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 31, 2004 2:55 pm

damn straight! Poeple need to be responsible enough to not get pnemonia during important testing periods [-X

When *WILL* kids learn?

(j/k)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:14 pm

Just make sure that the teacher believes that you were really sick.If he does,then okay,else you loose 100 points.Bad luck if that's the case.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:31 pm

I think it is a little extreme.

Even in Uni, I totally messed up not once, but TWICE. Once I turned up for an exam 2 hours late; they allowed me to take it and didn't knock any points off.

Then I got the dates wrong for handing in my main 3rd year dissertation. The Uni rules dictate 5% off for every day late; I eventually handed the work in 4 days late, yet didn't get any points deducted.

These were very serious lapses on my part, yet they showed me mercy. I don't think it's the case that colleges don't give a rat's ass really.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:52 am

jase wrote:I think it is a little extreme.

Even in Uni, I totally messed up not once, but TWICE. Once I turned up for an exam 2 hours late; they allowed me to take it and didn't knock any points off.

Then I got the dates wrong for handing in my main 3rd year dissertation. The Uni rules dictate 5% off for every day late; I eventually handed the work in 4 days late, yet didn't get any points deducted.

These were very serious lapses on my part, yet they showed me mercy. I don't think it's the case that colleges don't give a rat's ass really.

You are lucky jase.I had a classmate who turned up late for orals and the professor failed him in the same.I have never been late for any exams,not yet.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Re: WTF! Can my teacher do this?

Postby XXXXX on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:48 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Today I was sick, and absent from school, it was an excused absence, as my mom called in.

My Science teacher called my Dad about a paper that I didn't turn in today which was due (because I wasn't there!) and said that by turning it in tomorrow, which is when I expect to be back in school, I loose 20 pts. on the paper. Can my Science teacher do that, even if it is absent excused (which it is

EDIT: That's 20%, not 20 pts. It's worth 500 pts. so it's 100 pts. off, mark my words, I *WILL* fight for those pts.

It's amazing to see that they start breeding ignorance into liberals at the age of 15 these days. LMFAO! (Obvious spelling, improper capitalization, failure to close parantheses, and confusion over large numbers like 500 vs. 100 are highlighted in bold, red above for the audience's attention.)
Kerry is the most liberal US Senator in Washington, who has more of a sourpuss disposition than Lieberman.

He sucks the way he flips and then flops...which is why he will be defeated!

Where do they get these guys?
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:51 pm

XXXXX, you're obviously trying to start a fight here. Please stop. This is your first and only warning.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:55 pm

An update for anyone that actually cares. I got my grade back a bit ago but never posted it on this thread. There weren't any points taken off for being late. :)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Re: WTF! Can my teacher do this?

Postby jase on Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:56 pm

XXXXX wrote:
aviationwiz wrote:Today I was sick, and absent from school, it was an excused absence, as my mom called in.

It's amazing to see that they start breeding ignorance into liberals at the age of 15 these days. LMFAO! (Obvious spelling, improper capitalization, failure to close parantheses, and confusion over large numbers like 500 vs. 100 are highlighted in bold, red above for the audience's attention.)

lmao.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:27 pm

What is even more amazing is how they start breeding contempt into Republicans their entire lives. Those same Republicans will bash the public school systems then divert money from public school system funding. Is inconsistency your trademark? Correcting someone else's grammar and then having your own incorrect spelling was a nice touch. Way to be a douche.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby bill on Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:15 pm

aviationwiz wrote:An update for anyone that actually cares. I got my grade back a bit ago but never posted it on this thread. There weren't any points taken off for being late. :)

Congratulations! :D

Bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Return to Rants n' Raves