Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Two Firewire or USB adapter cards

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Two Firewire or USB adapter cards

Postby georgeg on Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:44 am

Would there be any problems with installing two Firewire adapter cards (or for that matter, two USB adapter cards) in my computer? I've got a combination media card reader with USB and Firewire ports on it installed and the USB port and the card reader each require there own USB connector. I also need to buy a Firewire adapter that comes with video capture software & drivers to capture video from my Sony DCR-HC20 digital camcorder. My mobo only has the back of case USB connections. I have installed a combination USB/Firewire adapter card that has one USB and one Firewire connection internally. I need a second internal USB connector for the card adapter and since the camcorder doesn't come with any drivers for Firewire (Sony tells you to use the drivers that come with the software accompanying your Firewire adapter) and my combo adapter card didn't come with software, I guess I'm going to have to buy another adapter card to get the software & drivers that I need. So, can I have two cards? Any probems there? Somehow, I don't think this is a great idea!
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:06 pm

Why not get a USB hub?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby georgeg on Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:53 pm

Ian wrote:Why not get a USB hub?

I have a USB hub but that only works for external devices. The card reader with USB & Firewire ports is one that mounts in a 3.5" external drive bay so it needs a header connection inside the case. To get the firewire access I'm looking for, it looks like I'll have to buy a new card that comes with software and drivers. If I'm doing that, I might just buy another card that has both firewire and USB on it so I can hook up both of the USB devices on the card reader, assuming two adapter cards wouldn't interfere with each other. This is what I'm trying to find out. It would be a whole lot simpler if I could afford to upgrade my rather old PC but I can't right now so I'm trying to skate by with adapter cards.
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:06 pm

Having two cards shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have IRQ conflicts and stuff.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby georgeg on Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:21 pm

I think what I'll do is replace my combo firwire/USB card with a dedicated card for each. I've found a USB card with two internal pin headers which should (in theory, at least) allow me to use both the external USB port and the memory card reader I've installed in my pc. Maybe I should have gone this route in the first place!
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby digitaldoc on Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:20 pm

I would recommend a dedicated usb and a separate dedicated firewire card. If you have enough pci slots this would probably be the most cost effective solution.
BTC 1008
BTC 316c 16x dvd-rom
LiteOn 52327S
LiteOn 52246S
Plextor 12x10x32
Benq 4816P
HP 7200e (retired)
digitaldoc
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion