Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R - Where to buy?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R - Where to buy?

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:22 pm

I know this question has been asked numerous times and I haven't seen a good answer yet.

I'm looking for a (reliable) place to buy Taiyo 8x DVD+R discs. The few places that sell them want you to buy in bulk (100-200 discs). Personally, I'm not looking to buy that many, especially from a place I've never dealt with before. And no, I don't want to buy Plextor's overpriced 8x DVD+R discs.

Anyone?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gen-An on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:31 pm

I've been trying to find such a vendor myself, but have been unsuccessful. I'll stick with the -R, that's easier to get. I'd keep checking http://www.rima.com; it took them a while to get 8x TY -R in but now they have the best price on them I've seen. They will probably get in 8x TY +R soon enough.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Update: I just found this:
http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html

Price seems a bit low for Taiyo Yuden media, but I haven't heard of any non-TY +R media using TY media codes, only -R, so it might be worth a shot.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby nerflchamp on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:38 pm

They aren't 8x per se but the Samsung 4X +R 50pack at Newegg for $37.99 are TY and burn perfectly at 8x, I received my spindle a few days ago and have been burning like a madman, all at 8X.

Moe
nerflchamp
Buffer Underrun

Postby code65536 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:55 pm

Actually, Rima already has a page for the TY 8x +R. rdgrimes sent me a link to it. ;) But it's not linked to from their website because they won't start offering it until next week.

I, too, have been looking for these discs, and I checked Supermediastore, and didn't find any yesterday. So my guess is that TY is just starting to supply these discs, and that's why SMS and Rima are just starting to offer them at around the same time.

Still, a 50-pack is too much. Anyone willing to split some with me? ;)
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:45 am

It was ACCA that told me they will be in stock next week, but it's the same as RIMA.

Expect the same price as the G02, $60/50
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:01 am

I'm going to get some 8x TY DVD+R soon, perhaps up to 50 or 100. Usual price seems to be about US$0.5, but it's from a closed source, limited quantity. Shipping always free, too. :D

I have only a few TY 8x DVD|R so far though I've had quite a lot 8x DVD+R ricohjpnr02. The only reason I could get the latter more easily was that LiteOn preferred Ricoh 01/02 to TY for a year or so.

300 pack for $297 seems reasonable. I wish there were TY for automobiles and apartments, too!
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:23 pm

Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:30 pm

rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:02 pm

Thanks guys!
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Kennyshin on Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:00 am

They are all TY bulk packs with silver coating. Why is it that no US online retailer has TY That's media? In South Korea, and also in Japan and Taiwan, That's media are easy to find at every offline and online store. Perhaps the name "That's" doesn't sound so cool across the ocean.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:36 am

Kennyshin wrote:They are all TY bulk packs with silver coating. Why is it that no US online retailer has TY That's media? In South Korea, and also in Japan and Taiwan, That's media are easy to find at every offline and online store. Perhaps the name "That's" doesn't sound so cool across the ocean.

I wish I knew, but what you said is probably right. "That's" likely wouldn't fly here. Also consumers like to buy either from a known brand name (like Memorex, Fujifilm, etc) or they want to buy the cheapest, and TY/That's is neither.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:41 am

Gen-An wrote:
Kennyshin wrote:They are all TY bulk packs with silver coating. Why is it that no US online retailer has TY That's media? In South Korea, and also in Japan and Taiwan, That's media are easy to find at every offline and online store. Perhaps the name "That's" doesn't sound so cool across the ocean.

I wish I knew, but what you said is probably right. "That's" likely wouldn't fly here. Also consumers like to buy either from a known brand name (like Memorex, Fujifilm, etc) or they want to buy the cheapest, and TY/That's is neither.

Really strange. That's is the most expensive brand name in CD/DVD media in Asia.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:16 pm

Kennyshin wrote:
Gen-An wrote:

Really strange. That's is the most expensive brand name in CD/DVD media in Asia.

You've sorta made my point. TY media isn't cheap. If TY decided to sell its media under the "That's" label in the US all of a sudden, I don't think it would sell because it would be an expensive brand no one has heard of. They're better off letting other well known brand names sell their media; Sony, Panasonic and Fujifilm sell TY discs (only in boxes of 5-10 discs with jewel cases though).
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:31 pm

Joe Sixpack usually doesn't care about the quality of the media they use. They buy the fastest media they can get at the lowest price. I think Verbatim is finally realizing this. People don't want to pay $3+ a disc. For these people, they've introduced their "Made in Taiwan" media.

Is Fuji still selling TY media? I thought they dumped them long ago so they could make more profit, selling cheaper Taiwan media.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gen-An on Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:47 pm

Ian wrote:Joe Sixpack usually doesn't care about the quality of the media they use. They buy the fastest media they can get at the lowest price. I think Verbatim is finally realizing this. People don't want to pay $3+ a disc. For these people, they've introduced their "Made in Taiwan" media.

Is Fuji still selling TY media? I thought they dumped them long ago so they could make more profit, selling cheaper Taiwan media.

Nah meign, Fuji still sells TY media. At least, all the local Best Buys I've been too still have the Fuji-branded TY 10 packs.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:45 am

One thing puzzles me however...In Europe Verbatim sells TY media under its brand name, but it does not do so in the US. Non MCC Verbatim media in the States is either Ricoh or CMC in my experience :evil:
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:14 am

We never get the good media like overseas does. I guess the companies don't think we will notice the different. I guess they think we'll buy anything as long as it's cheap.

Personally I would pay more for high quality media, but that's not the majority.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:00 am

Gen-An wrote:
Kennyshin wrote:
Gen-An wrote:

You've sorta made my point. TY media isn't cheap. If TY decided to sell its media under the "That's" label in the US all of a sudden, I don't think it would sell because it would be an expensive brand no one has heard of. They're better off letting other well known brand names sell their media; Sony, Panasonic and Fujifilm sell TY discs (only in boxes of 5-10 discs with jewel cases though).

TY can sell their media also at competitive prices though not like some Taiwanese manufacturers.

What's different between Taiyo Yuden That's and OEM-branded Taiyo Yuden to make the former expensive and unpopular? What I meant by "expensive brand name" is that TY's very popular, not that it's expensive, the same way Coco-Cola and Sony are expensive brands.

It's true there are suppliers that can sell under TY prices but considering the quality and consistency plus price, no one is able to beat TY. For people who like to flash firmware and match firmware versions to media identification codes, it might work to try to find the cheapest among the reasonably good-quality media but none of the Taiwanese and South Korean manufacturers produces good-quality media all the time. So TY That's is the brand name I recommend to every user except enthusiast group that daily reads reviews and modifies one's own hardware, like dual power supply units and dual Athlon XP.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:01 am

hydrogen wrote:We never get the good media like overseas does. I guess the companies don't think we will notice the different. I guess they think we'll buy anything as long as it's cheap.

Personally I would pay more for high quality media, but that's not the majority.

Are you living in Sahara or Sibera?
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:06 am

Kennyshin wrote:
hydrogen wrote:We never get the good media like overseas does. I guess the companies don't think we will notice the different. I guess they think we'll buy anything as long as it's cheap.

He's got a point there,Kenny. I live in India, and the best media we can get here is MCC/Verbatim. No TY :(
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:57 am

bhairavp wrote:
Kennyshin wrote:

He's got a point there,Kenny. I live in India, and the best media we can get here is MCC/Verbatim. No TY :(

The TY guy I met last year actually told me about an Indian manufacturer that offered better price than anyone in Taiwan. He doesn't work for TY itself but once sold Kodak media and got rich. With the profits, he started importing TY next and got even richer. The optical media market is relatively small because even CD writing is not completely easy for many beginners. The fates of small and niche markets usually are decided by a few number of indivduals and small distributors with up to a few million dollars of capital, most with less than 0.1 million. Such small businesses don't even find enough asset to travel to Taiwan and Japan in search of better deals, inspection and negotiation.

TY still seems to have a lot of potential. So many unexplored markets.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Re: Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R - Where to buy?

Postby thegdog on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Ian wrote:I'm looking for a (reliable) place to buy Taiyo 8x DVD+R discs. The few places that sell them want you to buy in bulk (100-200 discs). Personally, I'm not looking to buy that many, especially from a place I've never dealt with before.

SuperMediaStore.com has them on sale right now.

50 pack for $49.00 if you use coupon "d5doff"

http://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html

I haven't ordered this media from them, but I have ordered other things from them and haven't had a problem.
Last edited by thegdog on Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:26 pm

Kennyshin wrote:

I live in the Unites States. I'm talking about at retail. If you buy at retail you won't get Ty in 25 spindles, 50 spindles, or 100 spindles. Maxell is the only ones that sells Japan dvd-r. I haven't seen any Japan dvd+r at retail. Look at Fuji, Imation, Tdk, Verbatim, and Memorex. They all sell Taiwan media. I would like to get Ty media.

Tdk had been selling 2x dvd-r for so long here, while overseas they were selling 4x media.

Look at Philips media. You can only buy 2.4x dvd+r media here. Overseas you can buy 4x and 8x.

I'm sure Maxell sells 8x media overseas, but they don't here.
Tdk may also.

Talk to people who live in Australia, Japan, and other countries. They get Ty media.

It seems you live in South Korea, so you don't know how it is in the United States. You said you can get That's media which is Ty. We can't. So, I don't know why you said what you did.

You guys overseas get good media. I thought you would be agreeing with me.

You said this

hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby ClayBuster on Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:43 pm

Rima has an awesome deal on them right now. If you own a 712A or 712SA these things are simply the best things you can feed the drive. (but you already know that)

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... e=1733-100
Rick
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to DVD Writers