Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD RAM format FAT 32 corrupt

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD RAM format FAT 32 corrupt

Postby faithfoo on Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:44 pm

I use my DVD Ram & editing some 1000 files within the RAM

WOuld using FAT 32 to format cause more data corrption eventually as we write/edit files as compared to UDF 1.5/udf 2.0 ?

I think my Win 2000 professional only supports FAT 32 and not UDF 1.5/2.0

2 ) if I am not wrong, in this case FAT 32 would still be a better bet than using NERO in CD ( in terms of chances of producing less data corruption )
faithfoo
CD-RW Thug

Postby Kennyshin on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:05 pm

I haven't used DVD-RAM many times. Just several times maybe. While trying to format a 5x DVD-RAM disk, the disk reacted strangely so I guessed it was a defective disk. With the one DVD-RAM disk bundled with GSA-4082B, all went well.

If DVD-RAM in FAT3 get data corruption so often, more often than even DVD+RW and CD-RW media used with InCD, they should lower their advertising number from 100,000 to 10.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby faithfoo on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:14 pm

I am just comparing which formatting methods might eventually cause more data corruption as we write /edit many files often

1) FAT 32 to format as compared to UDF 1.5/udf 2.0 ?

2 )FAT 32 to format vs format the RAM using NERO in CD
faithfoo
CD-RW Thug

Postby Volken on Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:28 pm

Kennyshin wrote:I haven't used DVD-RAM many times. Just several times maybe. While trying to format a 5x DVD-RAM disk, the disk reacted strangely so I guessed it was a defective disk. With the one DVD-RAM disk bundled with GSA-4082B, all went well.

If DVD-RAM in FAT3 get data corruption so often, more often than even DVD+RW and CD-RW media used with InCD, they should lower their advertising number from 100,000 to 10.

First of all DVD-RAM is the best marriage between CD technology and MO media.

Only a few media producers can even afford to produce the same and can afford the license due to slim to none tolerance to failure.

There is reason why this media has in short time become first backup media taking (due to more economical) and selling more them MO for this purpose. Military, hospitals, broadcast, all growing in using this media.

There is also reason for this strict standards that he is moving with recording speed very slowly compared to other formats. This is with MO most durable optical media in existence. (Since Worm,LD...)

Why mention all this? because this remarks about corruption are not media related.

This media is minimum 30 ready for every day heavy duty use.

Win 2000Pro has serious problems with DVD-RAM as LG?s DVD-RAM driver is not working good at all (to make it short) as much as I like W2 better, XP is smoother and far more reliable with the same.

You should not use LG driver under Win2, even LG mentions this.

I use for years DVD-RAM media for samplers and both Mac & PC, some are used nonstop, never had any error, ever!

Only nature of this "corruption" you mention is to blame Windows alone.

You have to understand that this is media meant for power users , 8-10%
of users in the world. That is why MS has not made this as priority in implementation.

Even Steve Jobs, refused (but he has other reasons) to support the same in present G5?s superdrive. So use it in XP or make it initialized with Nero without LG driver.

DVD-RAM is incomparable to other present mass produced DVD formats (+-) :

Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby faithfoo on Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:04 pm

I confirm the following things I should do

1) if I am stuck with window 2000 professional now, format the RAM with nero in CD ( not FAT 32 , and cannot format it with udf 2.0 or 1.5 since not compatable with WIn 2000)

2) if I should install windows XP , format the RAM with udf 2.0

3) can I ask if Windows XP is stable enough ..I hope I will not lose any hard disk info when I install XP ( i am having windows 2000 Pro now )

4) Any problems if now I format 1 RAM disks in nero in cd ( win 2000) , these data will be able to read in Win XP ..

a) once XP is up, i wll transfer data (formerly formatted in nero in CD ) to hard drive and copy it to a RAM formatted by UDF 2.0

b) Once XP is installed , there is also no problem in reformatting this RAM disc( formerly formatted by Nero in CD) by UDF2.0 by erasing all previous data ..**
faithfoo
CD-RW Thug

Postby Volken on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:07 am

faithfoo wrote:I confirm the following things I should do
1) if I am stuck with window 2000 professional now, format the RAM with nero in CD ( not FAT 32 , and cannot format it with udf 2.0 or 1.5 since not compatable with WIn 2000) **

First of all, allow me to point a few points that I think are the reason for your problem.

Nature and benefit of DVD-RAM (among others) is to behave and be recognized as removable drive by default.

Since Win2 is not exactly quite PnP friendly, you need to help him with driver or Nero or any other recording program, but this is where the need for any recording programs ends !!!

I have actually managed to even use LG?s DVD-RAM driver without any problems as long as you avoid this :

1) Once you make this driver and it creates "picture" of you present
logical and optical drives setup. From now on it is unpredictable if
you change any of this drives in your setup or introduce any new
driver.

2) Reinstalling again same driver (very unpredictable) while in between
adding a new drive in your system

If you secure this, you will not have any problem.

Also, since it behaves like removable drive let it work like one !

Don't use Nero or any other recording software because you don't need one !

Copy directly to his drive folder or from explorer or any of your favorite file browsers

I actually use ACDSee :)

This is it, forget recording software, copy directly to DVD-RAM, just like you would record between hard drives and all you your problems are gone.

This is why I love DVD-RAM.

I use FAT32 for recording directly from Sound Forge to DVD-RAM.

Or even as logical, temp drive :)
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby faithfoo on Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:56 am

I am using a LG 4082 mounted on an external casing attached to the notebook via a PCMCIA card ( Win 2000 professional )

I can format my RAM disk by UDF 1.5 or UDF 2.0 , and then I try to copy files into RAM by drag and drop files into the "removable drive"

message is
cannot copy " filename" , the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

** BUT I do not have any problems with FAT 32 formatting

** That's the reason why I ask if FAT 32 or using Nero in CD was a better bet for me ( less data corruption ) since I am using win 2 000 prof
faithfoo
CD-RW Thug

Postby Volken on Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:30 pm

faithfoo wrote:I am using a LG 4082 mounted on an external casing attached to the notebook via a PCMCIA card ( Win 2000 professional )
I can format my RAM disk by UDF 1.5 or UDF 2.0 , and then I try to copy files into RAM by drag and drop files into the "removable drive"
prof

This error of yours (I/O device) is not media related in sense of physical damage, but pointing that OS can't access this file data system in relation that it is not formatted for the same to be recognized. But this is again, not media damage.

Have you tried not to format media at all, just to see how it will respond within Win2?

You should perhaps look for another DVD-RAM driver, from Panasonic is more recognized by MS.
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Format RAM in Win 2000

Postby faithfoo on Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:23 am

HI
1) if I am stuck with window 2000 professional now, I should format the RAM with nero in CD ( not FAT 32 , and I cannot format it with udf 2.0 or 1.5 since not compatable with WIn 2000)

3) can I ask if Windows XP is stable enough ..I hope I will not lose any hard disk info when I install XP ( i am having windows 2000 Pro now )

4) Any problems if now I format 1 RAM disks in nero in cd ( win 2000) , these data will be able to read in Win XP ..

a) once XP is up, i wll transfer data (formerly formatted in nero in CD ) to hard drive and copy it to a RAM formatted by UDF 2.0

b) Once XP is installed , there is also no problem in reformatting this RAM disc( formerly formatted by Nero in CD) by UDF2.0 by erasing all previous data ..**
faithfoo
CD-RW Thug

Re: Format RAM in Win 2000

Postby Volken on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:26 pm

faithfoo wrote:HI
1) if I am stuck with window 2000 professional now, I should format the RAM with nero in CD ( not FAT 32 , and I cannot format it with udf 2.0 or 1.5 since not compatable with WIn 2000)

1) No, stop using Nero at all for DVD-RAM it is not necessary.
DVD-RAM does not require such treatment to be recognized

2) In XP use format you like but I like FAT32 best.

3) I hear you, I don?t like XP any better then you, but even with some allusions
being true, one shouldn?t exaggerate to point of not using the same at all.
If carefully updated there is no reason for you to lose native files whatsoever

4) Yes DATA is DATA and it will be recognized in either way in XP.

a) Yes,

b) I think so.

You migh find this very handy for you : http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/DVD ... update.htm

This is Panasonic DVD-RAM driver that is known to work with LG without any problem : "Panasonic-specific part of the installation is disabled - you can only use KXLCB30A.EXE to install UDF2. >>> http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/ ... nload.html

This is for WIn2K, but I would stick with LG driver in XP, altough in SP2
some use nothing and it works just fine, you be the judge.
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers