Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What's a good brand of rewritable DVD's?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

What's a good brand of rewritable DVD's?

Postby Gooberslot on Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:16 pm

I don't need a spindle or anything, a 5 pack will do. I've heard that +RW are better but I'll consider either.
Gooberslot
Buffer Underrun

Re: What's a good brand of rewritable DVD's?

Postby Volken on Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:51 pm

Gooberslot wrote:I don't need a spindle or anything, a 5 pack will do. I've heard that +RW are better but I'll consider either.

Ultimately the best choice if from the maker himself.

My personal choice is Ricoh,TDK,Taiyo Yuden.

Far from sugessting that all others are bad, but these names are industry nr.1

Naturally, with DVD-RAM Matsushita (Panasonic) would be the choice (also TDK)
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:41 pm

Volken wrote:
Gooberslot wrote:I don't need a spindle or anything, a 5 pack will do. I've heard that +RW are better but I'll consider either.

Ultimately the best choice if from the maker himself.

My personal choice is Ricoh,TDK,Taiyo Yuden.

Far from sugessting that all others are bad, but these names are industry nr.1

Naturally, with DVD-RAM Matsushita (Panasonic) would be the choice (also TDK)

Umm, Taiyo Yuden doesn't make *ANY* RW media... for that matter, neither does TDK. Ricoh could be argued as making DVDRW media, but in fact they outsource to Ritek for most of their stuff.

And for DVD-RAM, Maxell makes Panasonic's media... I don't know who makes TDK's media, but it's probably Maxell or Ritek.

My suggestion for DVDRWs would be Optodisc... unless you live in Europe... then you either have to go top of the line with Mitsubishi Chemicals, or mid-grade with Ritek/Ricoh. I don't recommend Optodisc media sold in Europe... unless it's the Mini DVD-RWs :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:25 pm

Umm, Taiyo Yuden doesn't make *ANY* RW media... for that matter, neither does TDK. Ricoh could be argued as making DVDRW media, but in fact they outsource to Ritek for most of their stuff.
And for DVD-RAM, Maxell makes Panasonic's media... I don't know who makes TDK's media, but it's probably Maxell or Ritek.

You would be the First voice about Yuden makes *ANY* RW media, I take they entered me in twilight zone when I was in Japan, because I've heard exactly what I've wrote.

I wont even comment about TDK. (because they are 100% self made source)

As for source for DVD-RAM, I'm not so certain : http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... artner.htm

I've read about Ricoh as source of the media to Matsushita DVD-RAM.

[/quote]
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gooberslot on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:32 pm

What about Fuji? I noticed Best Buy carries 5-packs of both +RW and -RW in those. Who makes those?
Gooberslot
Buffer Underrun

Postby Volken on Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:09 pm

Gooberslot wrote:What about Fuji? I noticed Best Buy carries 5-packs of both +RW and -RW in those. Who makes those?

I remember from consumer segment in 80s they have produced their own media (tapes, discs...) I have in perfect shape VHS and SVHS tapes
from Fuji even after a decade :)

I haven't seen that brand from a long time to tell you the truth in any segment.

I purchase only those 3 I've recommended earlier

I recently purchased 2x pack of 25 CDRW (4x-12x) from a media I never heard before : Proformance (eproformance.com) (Europe)

Summertime, away from my home, couldn't find any Ricoh or TDK, so these where the only thing they recommended as near the same quality.

In either way they were very high priced that is for sure.

Anyone ever used this brand?
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:39 am

Volken wrote:You would be the First voice about Yuden makes *ANY* RW media, I take they entered me in twilight zone when I was in Japan, because I've heard exactly what I've wrote.

Ok, if Taiyo Yuden makes RWs, how come there is no Taiyo Yuden RW media code in any firmware in any drive?

Volken wrote:I wont even comment about TDK. (because they are 100% self made source)

Umm, the company I worked for used to be a TDK distributor for Canada, and I can say from personal experience looking through our remaining samples and remaining overstock, that TDK is not 100% selfmade... maybe 25-30%? Now in Europe this percentage might be higher, since TDK actually has some small manufacturing capabilities theere...

Volken wrote:As for source for DVD-RAM, I'm not so certain : http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... artner.htm

Maxell and Panasonic have a pretty long standing relationship, despite not being listed on that page... However it is true that Panasonic has also used other sources of DVD-RAM media as well, one of them being Optodisc. This page hints a little towards that possability:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... r_0623.htm

Volken wrote:I've read about Ricoh as source of the media to Matsushita DVD-RAM.

Again I somewhat doubt it, since Ricoh is more into making technology then media now... they do a lot more outsourcing then they used to.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:46 am

For RW, I use so few, I just stick with the good ol' Verbatim/MCC DVD+RW's.

I use DVD+RW, mainly because DVD-RW media is still stuck at 2x (last I checked)

Just get a few Verbatim's, it shouldn't cost you much, and thier really good DVD's.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Hudson on Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:41 am

For the record, my Pioneer AO7-XL came with a 4X dvd-rw. DVD ID shows it as:
[DVD-RW:JVC0VictorD7]

I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes 4x dvd-rw, but at least I can say they do exist, as I've already used this one several times at 4X.

aviationwiz wrote:For RW, I use so few, I just stick with the good ol' Verbatim/MCC DVD+RW's.

I use DVD+RW, mainly because DVD-RW media is still stuck at 2x (last I checked)

Just get a few Verbatim's, it shouldn't cost you much, and thier really good DVD's.
Hudson
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:00 am

The JVC ones are out, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet.... Ritek's 4x DVD-RWs are also out and for sale, but I have no idea how good they are. My sample should be arriving tomorrow though I hope! :D

As for e-performance CD-R/RWs, they are made by Prodisc. Prodisc CD-Rs are "ok" discs, not good, but not bad. Their CD-RWs on the other hand have given me nothing but trouble! Their 12x CD-RWs are better then their 4x CD-RWs though... their 4x ones would be unusable after 3-4 burns. The 12x ones lasted about 2-3 times longer :-?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:29 am

I agree with dolphinius_rex. TY does not make RW media. That's a quote from a TY senior engineer.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:08 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Volken wrote:You would be the First voice about Yuden makes *ANY* RW media, I take they entered me in twilight zone when I was in Japan, because I've heard exactly what I've wrote.

Ok, if Taiyo Yuden makes RWs, how come there is no Taiyo Yuden RW media code in any firmware in any drive?
Volken wrote: I wont even comment about TDK. (because they are 100% self made source)

Umm, the company I worked for used to be a TDK distributor for Canada, and I can say from personal experience looking through our remaining samples and remaining overstock, that TDK is not 100% selfmade... maybe 25-30%? Now in Europe this percentage might be higher, since TDK actually has some small manufacturing capabilities theere...
Volken wrote:As for source for DVD-RAM, I'm not so certain : http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... artner.htm

Taiyo Yuden, no idea really.
I guess your comment then makes some substance (RW code)

As for TDK, indeed I was referring to Europe where I now that he is making his own media. But there was always something else about TDK when compared with other media (in my case) I think that what ever they choose they either have stricter standards or best available selection because I never ever had any problem with any of their media.

Maxell & Matsushita = No, I never claimed that they are not partners.

I remember even without this link you sent me that Maxell is long time partner with Panasonic. It's just that I have actually read in some Matsushita white paper about development of DVD-RAM how Ricoh was highlighted as making source.

Still, even if Ricoh have reduced his own production I still think their know-how will again be resulted in excellent media. They never caused any problem for me either :)
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:10 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:The JVC ones are out, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet.... Ritek's 4x DVD-RWs are also out and for sale, but I have no idea how good they are. My sample should be arriving tomorrow though I hope! :D

As for e-performance CD-R/RWs, they are made by Prodisc. Prodisc CD-Rs are "ok" discs, not good, but not bad. Their CD-RWs on the other hand have given me nothing but trouble! Their 12x CD-RWs are better then their 4x CD-RWs though... their 4x ones would be unusable after 3-4 burns. The 12x ones lasted about 2-3 times longer :-?

Interesting, I thought Victor (JVC) don't even have any CD media for sale.

Are you by any chance familiar with their creation of XRCD & XRCD2?

They made and designed exquisite media (no idea with whom) of finest
grade for very small selected audiophile collections.

I spoke with a friend from a small audiophile mastering label and he told me that even 10 times bigger mastering plants can't afford this media, that is how expensive it is to be used.

I wonder with this new found approach, will JVC ever transpose this know-how in making a general media formats?

Proformance.

Interesting note, I have in both cars Pioneer changer and this changers will read anything.Even 3 years recorded CDRW media before Pioneer even (others didn't even read CDR) mentioned he would read the same - where all working flawlessly :)

Even lousiest no name CDRW 1-4x CDRW are working with no problem with Pioneer changer,but not this eProformance !!!!

Go figure, tried even with 1x speed just for sake of test, nothing, he just wont read them :(
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:34 am

I'm pretty sure that JVC code/brand discs are being made by someone else, but I don't know who. Still the media has tested quite on good on various review sites.

I don't know anything about XRCD or XRCD2 sorry.

Sadly, I'm not too surprised to hear about the e-performance. Like I said, Prodisc's CD-RWs never worked right. :(

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:46 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm pretty sure that JVC code/brand discs are being made by someone else, but I don't know who. Still the media has tested quite on good on various review sites.

I don't know anything about XRCD or XRCD2 sorry.

Sadly, I'm not too surprised to hear about the e-performance. Like I said, Prodisc's CD-RWs never worked right. :(

Read this to get the picture about XRCD : >>> http://www.xrcd.net/Shopping/process.asp

Also : http://www.xrcd.net/

Yes, sad about eProformance.

Have you heard about Princo media, there is large warehouse near
city I live selling only Princo media.

And where on earth is BASF these days?

Not to mention where is 3M?
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby digitaldoc on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:54 am

I like the Verbatim DVD+RW for rewritable media.
BTC 1008
BTC 316c 16x dvd-rom
LiteOn 52327S
LiteOn 52246S
Plextor 12x10x32
Benq 4816P
HP 7200e (retired)
digitaldoc
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:13 am

erased from existence - double post :)
Last edited by Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:28 pm

The XRCD sounds very interesting... and as someone who works in the CD-Audio replication business (as well as blank media :wink: ) I can say that many people would be interested in this sort of thing... but unfortunatly many manufacturing plants do not allow for this technique... also almost no plant (none that i know of at least) would accept a tape reel as a master anymore... it's all done by CD-R master now :o

As for Princo.... 2 words, "Stay Away". Princo is nasty stuff, and there are reports of a place even being sued for selling it, because Princo does not pay any of the required royalties on CD/DVD media. That aside, I've never had good results with their CD-RWs... they always burned slower then advertised, and in a couple of cases the laquer started flaking off very shortly after their first burn (and in one case even before!).

As for BASF, they went out of business in North America, so I don't get much news about them... some people have imported BASF media from Europe, but generally it is very hard to find for me.

As for 3M, I just don't see it... not sure why :P

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:06 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:The XRCD sounds very interesting... and as someone who works in the CD-Audio replication business (as well as blank media :wink: ) I can say that many people would be interested in this sort of thing... but unfortunatly many manufacturing plants do not allow for this technique... also almost no plant (none that i know of at least) would accept a tape reel as a master anymore... it's all done by CD-R master now :o As for Princo.... 2 words, "Stay Away". Princo is nasty stuff, and there are reports of a place even being sued for selling it, because Princo does not pay any of the required royalties on CD/DVD media. That aside, I've never had good results with their CD-RWs... they always burned slower then advertised, and in a couple of cases the laquer started flaking off very shortly after their first burn (and in one case even before!).

Yes,only a suite of selected few audiophile plants use other media besides
just CD for master.

I never used Princo, because it was just a name in the sea, not relevant to my attention. There is also very aggressive name : TraxData.

Never liked them and always considered this reputation as exaggerated by dealers that sale the same, not to mention 2 years TraxData was unreadable.

This reminds me of great CD media (at least a few years ago) Kodak had fantastic media with custom patented layer that offered extra protection, I don?t see them these days.

Also what do you make of Benq? (Acer)

Just a few months ago for the first time I have heard of new name : Smart Media (???)

Pro industry and consumer segment of electronic is my specialty but this media segment was always slightly dissonant with interest.

Is there some industrial link (www) to best of your knowledge to read who is who in terms - real makers and resale?s sources. Also present mergers and internal partners within, would like to learn more about present situation in present sad mass produced sphere.
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:28 pm

TraxData has a partnership of some sort with Ritek... not sure of all the specs on that one, but I know they work together. I think Ritek makes all their media, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, Kodak was absolutley awesome! However they were too good quality and too expensive to sell enough volume to justify their existance I guess, since the line was completely discontinued :cry:

So far I have no experience with BenQ / Acer...

Haven't heard of Smart Media... I've heard of Smartbuy though, if that helps :wink:

Sadly I don't know of any industrial links detailing who works with who, and who really makes what... a lot of the fine details are industrial secrets to some extent... it's just how and when they get leaked that determine when we find out :wink: For myself, I have several contacts who are rather well informed this way, and I try to keep myself as up to date as possible :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:31 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Yes, Kodak was absolutley awesome! However they were too good quality and too expensive to sell enough volume to justify their existance I guess, since the line was completely discontinued :cry:
Haven't heard of Smart Media... I've heard of Smartbuy though, if that helps :wink:

Smartbuy, you are correct, my mistake because I have one only media of this type (DVD-RW 1x)

Interestingly, they have some sort of logo on their media : "Certified Quality AAA grade - superior technology"

Summation of your last comment about lack of fine links was expected sadly for known reasons within industry. After all that is understandable. Just thought you might have some smallish database of some sort :)

You might like to read this : l'biggest threat to technology and innovation in 20 years' >>> http://www.ce.org/s2560test.pdf
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:11 pm

Smartbuy is another brand that uses Prodisc... although I have no idea how Prodisc's DVDRWs are, if they are similar to their CD-RWs I'd be wary! :-?

As for the "certified quality AAA grade" marking... any company can say that their media is 'A grade" or 'AAA grade" since the company themself makes the standard for what is considered 'A grade' in most cases :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:39 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Smartbuy is another brand that uses Prodisc... although I have no idea how Prodisc's DVDRWs are, if they are similar to their CD-RWs I'd be wary! :-?

As for the "certified quality AAA grade" marking... any company can say that their media is 'A grade" or 'AAA grade" since the company themself makes the standard for what is considered 'A grade' in most cases :o

I slipped to ask you what about Sony source?

They use some "Supreme" name for media formula of some sort.

I remember brand I have seen very strong in France and from magazines it hand very strong reputation : "Thats" or was it "THAT'S" I'm sure you must have heard about them.

So who are basically main players these days as largest making sources.

Prodisc, Ritek, Tdk.....?
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:42 pm

I haven't tried any Sony media yet personally... I know their DVD-Rs can have an actual Sony Code on them, but I expect that Sony outsources production of them, although I think they do make a small amount of their own media.

The biggest manufacturer of blank media is still CMC Magnetics I believe, most likely followed by Ritek.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Volken on Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:02 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I haven't tried any Sony media yet personally... I know their DVD-Rs can have an actual Sony Code on them, but I expect that Sony outsources production of them, although I think they do make a small amount of their own media.

The biggest manufacturer of blank media is still CMC Magnetics I believe, most likely followed by Ritek.

Thanks but I try to imagine present scope of makers who would come after, Optodisc, Tayo Yuden, Mitsubishi, ....TDK.Ricoh.

I'm curios.

And where exaclty is this data available on exact media codes and firmware that makes notes of them :o
Volken
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to DVD Writers