Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to burn +2gb files to disc?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

How to burn +2gb files to disc?

Postby MikeTR on Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:25 pm

I'm backing up some stuff on to DVD's. No problem for the most part, but I have a few (VOB and database)files that are over 2 GB in size. So there is no way to burn these as an ISO-compilation.
I guess I'm going to have to make an UDF-disc.What is the best way to burn large files to disc (compatibility/quality)? UDF 1.02, 1.50, or 2.01, or is there another (better) way?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:10 pm

You could always use our Nero BackItUP program to backup the files. It does have spanning capability.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:38 pm

Thanks for the reply Craig, but spanning is not needed in this case. The files will fit on a DVD, they're just a bit too big to burn as an ISO compilation. Therefore I think I need to burn them as an UDF compilation.
I'm just wondering what UDF format is the best too use, since I have no insight in the difference between 1.02, 1.5 and 2.01. Could you help me out on deciding that one?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:38 pm

Hi MikeTR,

Mr. Burg is the expert on our InCD 4 product. And in another posting he has already recommended using the UDF 1.02 and UDF 2.01

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:23 pm

CCampbell wrote:Hi MikeTR,

Mr. Burg is the expert on our InCD 4 product. And in another posting he has already recommended using the UDF 1.02 and UDF 2.01

Regards,

Craig

Thank's Craig, I found the thread you referred to. Still, it would be helpfull if Nero itself had some info on the various types of UDF that can be used. It might be an idea to update the Nero help file or manual to include UDF.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:00 am

To be precise, the recommended UDF version will depend of your medium type. Indeed, specification of the different media have recommendation of different UDF version. For instance the DVD Forum recommends UDF 2.00 for DVD-RW and DVD-RAM, but the MRW specifications incitate to use UDF 1.02. For next-generation high capacity DVDs, discussions are still going on, maybe it will be existing version 2.50, maybe it will be a new version.

The recommended UDF version will also depend from the way your burn your data. For instance with Nero you burn all the disc at once (or session/track at once), not using sparing, hence version 1.50 has little advantage beside 1.02.

About your precise issue, know that all UDF versions supports 2 Gb+ files.

If you intend to burn this data using Nero (as I got the impression is what you like to do), probably UDF 1.02 is the best choice for you.
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:59 pm

dburg, thanks for the detailed reply. :D
I'm intending use Nero to burn mostly DVD+R disc's and maybe a few DVD-R's. From your reply, I figure that I'm best of with 1.02. Guess I'll use that one.
Still I'm a little intrigued by the reasons for the existance of these various UDF types. It seems that they are not just updated standards, but altogeather different versions. Some sort of (user-friendly) comparison table would be very usefull. The info on the OSTA site is way too detailed for me to make sense of.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)