Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Re-encode audio portion of DVD

DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring, editing, copying and transcoding.

Re-encode audio portion of DVD

Postby pika2000 on Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:42 am

I have a live DVD video that I want to backup, without loosing the chapter info. It's full dual layer, and the audio is encoded in PCM. When I tried Nero Recode 2, it still cannot fit the whole DVD into 1 DVD-5 at minimum quality. Unfortunately Nero Recode cannot re-encode the audio as AC3 (the audio in PCM is almost 1.2GB by itself). I tried de-muxing the audio to wav, and re-encode it to ac3 with besweet. Then I use a trial version of TMPGENC dvd author to re-author the DVD using the new AC3 as the audio. For some reason, the resulting DVD cannot be played by anything. PowerDVD played the DVD really slow (ie. 1 fps or something, and it detect the bitrate as 0.16MBPS). Nero Showtime cannot play the audio, and showed major artifacts in the video.

Did I do something wrong with TMPENC? Is there an easier way to dot his? I've been searching for a guide at videohelp.com, but cannot find anything that fit my scenario.
pika2000
CD-RW Thug

Postby pika2000 on Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:05 am

I've been trying different programs with no luck. I guess what I need is a transcoding program like Nero Recode/DVDshrink that retain chapter information and can also resize the video resolution and re-encode the audio. Nero Recode cannot resize video nor re-encode the audio. TMPGENC DVD author can re-encode the audio, but no resizing. Using programs like Nero Vision express/Ulead can resize video and re-encode the audio, but chapter information is gone (ie. I have to re-create the chapters manually), and no subtittle.

Any help is appreciated.
pika2000
CD-RW Thug

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Authoring