Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NEC Announces 16x DVD±RW Drive

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

NEC Announces 16x DVD±RW Drive

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:58 pm

NEC achieves industry first with 16x dual layer +/- DVD Recorder

· Launching the first 16x dual layer +/- DVD Recorder to include high speed CD function

· Doubling the speed of previous recording to allow 1 hour of DVD to be recorded in 4 minutes

· Offering high capacity storage with up to 8.5 GB being written onto one DVD

NEC (UK) Ltd today announced the launch of the ND3500A, the first advanced double layer 16x DVD re-writer to include high speed CD recording. The new model incorporates NEC’s leading optical storage technology to offer a high capacity, reliable device, ideal for digital video recording, storage and PC data back-up applications.

The ND3500A delivers even higher speed write and re-write functions than its predecessor, the ND2510. This allows users the flexibility to choose a wider range of DVD R media without compromising performance or storage capacity.

In addition to improved ease-of use, the ND3500A will deliver significantly improved performance, ensuring users need no longer compromise on quality of video and stills due to lack of space on the disc. It also offers significantly faster recording speeds, for example a 1 hour DVD can be recorded in less than 4 minutes. In addition, the NEC ND3500A is able to store up to 8.5 GB onto one DVD.

Andrew Wyllie, Business Manager for NEC’s Data Storage Business in the UK, commented: “There is an increasing demand for high speed, high quality optical storage devices. We are delighted to announce an industry first for NEC with this 16x dual layer DVD Recorder. In addition to the faster DVD recording, we have also ensured that the CD re-writing offered by this product is faster than before.”

The ND3500A benefits from NEC’s “high resolution writing strategy” which uses advanced laser modulation to boost the accuracy of the written data. The drive also includes an enhanced version of NEC’s “Active Optimized Power Control” (Active OPC). Active OPC monitors writing power and reflection of the media in use, calculating the optimum laser power and adjusting it in real-time.

The ND3500A supports Windows 98SE, 2000, Me and XP. Windows NT 4.0 is also supported if the video editing function is not required.

The ND3500A will be available in beige, black and silver and can be purchased at selected retail outlets and from ‘e-stores’ including Watford Electronics (www.savastore.com) and Scan Computers (www.scan.co.uk).

The retail version ND-3500/SRP comes with “electronic manuals” in six languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch) on the software CD-ROM, all parts necessary to assemble the drive (screws, IDE and audio cable) and a full featured software solution from Ahead:

Nero Express 6

·the most famous writer software to private data and music compilations

NeroVision Express 2

·integrated Video and Photo capturing, editing, authoring and burning application to create DVDs, SVCDs and VCDs supported by powerful storyboard and timeline editing.

Nero Recode 2

·shrink double layer DVDs to standard DVD media by transcoding non-copy protected DVD-Video titles. Keeps the original menu. The user can select desired video titles, audio tracks, and subtitles. With Fit-to-disc option. Transcoding to MPEG4 video stream supported as well.

Nero Showtime

·High quality DVD, MPEG4 and VCD playback application

Nero BackItUp

·Full featured backup application which supports full, incremental, update and differential backups with job scheduler for automatic backups.

others: Nero Cover Designer, Nero InfoTool, Nero CD-DVD Speed

All specifications are subject to change without notice

All trademarks are the property of their respective holders.

Availability: August 2004

·For 16x write on DVD R disc, please use NEC-recommended 16x or 8x media

·For 4x write on DVD +R9 media disc, please use NEC-recommended 2.4x discs (the expected write speed might not be obtained under certain conditions)

About NEC Corporation

NEC Corporation (NASDAQ: NIPNY) (FTSE: 6701q.l) is one of the world's leading providers of Internet, broadband network and enterprise business solutions dedicated to meeting the specialized needs of its diverse and global base of customers. Ranked as one of the world's top patent-producing companies, NEC delivers tailored solutions in the key fields of computer, networking and electron devices, by integrating its technical strengths in IT and Networks, and by providing advanced semiconductor solutions through NEC Electronics Corporation. The NEC Group employs more than 140,000 people worldwide and had net sales of 4,906 billion yen (approx. $47 billion) in the fiscal year ended March 2004. For additional information, please visit the NEC home page at: http://www.nec.com

About NEC (UK) Ltd
Founded in 1973, NEC UK is responsible for the marketing, sales, installation and service of a comprehensive range of NEC’s IT, communications and display technologies. With a proven track record in technical consultancy and multiple product streams, NEC UK can design, install and manage standalone and integrated solutions for corporate clients and their networks.

Dust protected enclosure

Emergency eject

IDE/ATAPI interface with UltraDMA 33 (max. 33 MByte/sec transfer rate)

Internal 12/8cm CD and DVD drive (half form factor)

Read Speed: 16x max. DVD-ROM and 48x max. CD-ROM

Tray load mechanism supporting horizontal and vertical use

Write Speed: DVD+R: 16 max., DVD+RW: 4x max., DVD+R9: 4x,. DVD-R: 16x max,. DVD-RW: 4x. CD-R: 48x max,. CD-RW: 24x max.

Access Time (CD): 120 ms

Access Time (DVD): 140 ms

Audio: Digital-out and line-out at the back (MPC compatible)

Burst Transfer Rate: PIO mode 4/Ultra DMA 33

Cache: 2MByte

Compatibility: MPC level 3, Multi Read, PC2001

Dimensions (HxWxD): 148mm x 42mm x 190mm

Interface: IDE/ATAPI

Mechanism: motorized tray load mechanism for horizontal and vertical use

Media/Mode Supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD0+R, DVD+R9, DVD+RW, DVD-Video, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-Audio, CD Extra, CD Text, CD-I Ready, CD-Bridge, Photo-CD, Video-CD, Hybrid-CD

Transfer Rate Read CD: 48x CAV (max7200 kByte/s)

Transfer Rate Read DVD: 16x CAV (max 22000 kBytes)

Transfer Rate Write +R (CD): ./.

Transfer Rate Write +R (DVD): 16x CAV (max 22000 kByte/s)

Transfer Rate Write +R9 (CD): ./.

Transfer Rate Write +R9 (DVD): 4x CLV (5500 kByte/s)

Transfer Rate Write +RW (CD): ./.

Transfer Rate Write -R (CD): 48x CAV (max. 7200 kByte/s)

Transfer Rate Write -R (DVD): 16x CAV (max22000 kByte/s)

Transfer Rate Write -RW (DVD): 4x CLV (5500 kByte/s)

Trasfer Rate Write -RW (CD): 24x ZCLV (max 3600kByte/s)

Weight: 1.0kg

Writing Methods: DAO (disc at once), SAO (session at once), TAO (track at once) with zero gap, variable or fixed packet, multisession
Last edited by Ian on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:59 pm

Taken from here:

http://www.nec.co.uk/DVD_RW_ND3500.aspx

Yeah, this was mentioned in another thread, but I figured it needed its own.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Shredder on Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:08 pm

Plextor will finally see a contender with both speed and quality.
Shredder
CD-RW Player

Postby Decel on Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:47 am

CAV, is that the good writing method for high speed?
Decel
Buffer Underrun

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:23 am

Decel wrote:CAV, is that the good writing method for high speed?

Yes, CLV writing at 16x seems slower than CAV writing at 12x. One of the suggested advantages of DVD+R(W) technologies was the CAV in the first place.

http://dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

Optional: DVD+RW system supports both CAV and CLV writing

Besides CLV operation, DVD+RW drives may optionally also support recording in CAV mode. CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) is usually used in audio or video recorders (such as CD-Audio recorders or DVD-Video recorders). Using CLV, the drive's spinning speed is decreased from the beginning to the end of the disc. CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) allows the disc to spin at a constant rate, enabling faster access times. To maintain compatibility and recording space on the disc, the laser in a DVD+RW drive just burns "faster" (or actually at a larger power) at the beginning of a disc, so that all pits are equally as big and the discs are equally as compatible with current DVD players and drives as a disc recorded in CLV mode. CAV recording might be important in applications where writing speed and access times are critial. No current DVD+RW drives support CAV, but when they become available, they will use the same DVD+RW media that you already use with your current DVD+RW drive. DVD-RW will never offer CAV recording, as it is not part of its specification.

The quoted article above was first written on that page in late 2002 so you can imagine how many DVD-R/-RW supporters have said why CAV is mentioned as an advantage when there is no practical use of the CAV writing in DVD+R/+RW drives.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:25 am

I thought BenQ was first. Or Pioneer. Gee, how many firsts are there? ;) But at least it's CAV unlike Pioneer's.
Last edited by code65536 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:29 am

Shredder wrote:Plextor will finally see a contender with both speed and quality.

Even Lite-On 16x DVD writers are going to be better than Plextor's best and most expensive US$200 DVD writer. That is, when users like myself don't care much about PlexTools, the bold bezel design, Plextor brand name, etc. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Shredder on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:52 am

Kennyshin wrote:Even Lite-On 16x DVD writers are going to be better than Plextor's best and most expensive US$200 DVD writer. That is, when users like myself don't care much about PlexTools, the bold bezel design, Plextor brand name, etc. :D

Yes, Plextor is overrated.
Shredder
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:44 am

Yes, Yes, of course, that's why the PX-712A at 12x, writes faster than or equal to the speeds of burning at 16x on many 16x burners...right...
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:06 am

aviationwiz wrote:Yes, Yes, of course, that's why the PX-712A at 12x, writes faster than or equal to the speeds of burning at 16x on many 16x burners...right...

You mean *1* 16x burner right? :wink:

Don't worry Aviationwiz, Plextor is bringing out a 16x DVD burner too, so you won't have to worry about trying to defend the POS-712a much longer :lol:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:12 am

From what I've seen, I don't want a 16x burner, from LG, Pioneer, NEC, or anyone. It's all about the speed relative to the 12x I'm getting on the PX-712.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Shredder on Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:56 am

aviationwiz wrote:Yes, Yes, of course, that's why the PX-712A at 12x, writes faster than or equal to the speeds of burning at 16x on many 16x burners...right...

True, speed-wise among currently available burners. However, according the NEC 3500 spec, it will feature 16x CAV which I think will be slightly faster than Plextor 712's 12x P-CAV and probably be about same as Plextor's upcoming burner.

Quality-wise, I think NEC 3500 could be better than Plextor's if it keeps its good burning quality on all media and cheaper price tag like 1x00 and 2xx0 models. NEC 3500 will be great choice if Plextor's upcoming burner continues to be little picky on media.
Shredder
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:59 am

Shredder wrote:

True, speed-wise among currently available burners. However, according the NEC 3500 spec, it will feature 16x CAV which I think will be slightly faster than Plextor 712's 12x P-CAV and probably be about same as Plextor's upcoming burner.

Quality-wise, I think NEC 3500 could be better than Plextor's if it keeps its good burning quality on all media and cheaper price tag like 1x00 and 2xx0 models. NEC 3500 will be great choice if Plextor's upcoming burner continues to be little picky on media.

The NEC 3100a and 3500a as well as the BenQ 1600a, 1620a, and 1630a will all feature 16x CAV writing styles.

And since the official format specifications jump from 8x to 16x for both DVD+R and DVD-R, I am expecting better standardization for 16x then 12x... although I know Ritek is in the process of rushing some new 12x and 16x DVDR media to the market without getting approval, so there will always be exceptions... :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:51 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:The NEC 3100a and 3500a as well as the BenQ 1600a, 1620a, and 1630a will all feature 16x CAV writing styles.

LiteOn's 1633S will also feature CAV/PCAV. I think right now, Pioneer's the odd man out.
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:21 pm

All of the 16x CAV drives will burn a ful disc in around 6 min depending on leadin-leadout times. You can't get any faster than 16x CAV, they'll all use the same rotational speeds, more or less.
In fact, the LiteOn 1633 will be just a tad faster at 12x than the Plextor, as will any drive that starts at 9500 RPM.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Decel on Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:45 pm

Interesting....
Decel
Buffer Underrun

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:32 pm

aviationwiz wrote:From what I've seen, I don't want a 16x burner, from LG, Pioneer, NEC, or anyone. It's all about the speed relative to the 12x I'm getting on the PX-712.

But you can still sell your PX-712A and buy TWO CAV 16x writers instead. That makes nearly 3x faster. Maybe closer to 2 than 3. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Phoenix '97 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 pm

How did they manage to implement 16x CAV for DVD-R? I thought that was difficult and out of spec.
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:42 pm

Phoenix '97 wrote:How did they manage to implement 16x CAV for DVD-R? I thought that was difficult and out of spec.

Sheer desperation? :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:20 am

We don't know what they have done in the labs. I don't know why Pioneer has included 4x DVD+R DL instead of 2x DVD-R DL. Isn't it better for Pioneer to include 2x DVD-R DL if Pioneer still believes DVD+RW is non-standard and should be given up? Why do they mass-produce what they call non-standard products?
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:23 am

Kennyshin wrote:Why do they mass-produce what they call non-standard products?

because there's a market demand for them, because they sell and because they make profit for Pioneer.

Kennyshin wrote:I don't know why Pioneer has included 4x DVD+R DL instead of 2x DVD-R DL.

strange indeed.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:01 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Kennyshin wrote:Why do they mass-produce what they call non-standard products?

because there's a market demand for them, because they sell and because they make profit for Pioneer.

Kennyshin wrote:I don't know why Pioneer has included 4x DVD+R DL instead of 2x DVD-R DL.

strange indeed.

Which is also what they didn't do before A06. :D

I mean why bash if what they want is just profits and not pride?
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:05 am

so true.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Wesociety on Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:14 pm

code65536 wrote:I thought BenQ was first. Or Pioneer. Gee, how many firsts are there? ;) But at least it's CAV unlike Pioneer's.

You have to realize that all of these "Worlds' first" claims are usually true due to a SLIGHT variation or feature of the drive.

Quote from the press release: " Launching the first 16x dual layer +/- DVD Recorder to include high speed CD function"

Now if you analyze this closely, you will see that the NEC 3500A will contain 48X CD-R writing, while the Pioneer A08 only has 32X CD-R burning support. Sooo, TECHNICALLY speaking, the NEC 3500A IS the first 16X dual format/DL DVD writer with "high speed CD function" (48X) as described in their press release.
And then of course there it he BenQ/Philips drive, which are only +R drives at the current moment...

These type of slight specificiation enhancements/combinations are commonly found in order to achieve a "worlds' first" announcement.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:04 am

That's why LG will be the first. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to DVD Writers