Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to backup a DL DVD to a DL DVD?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

How to backup a DL DVD to a DL DVD?

Postby jwheeler on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:37 pm

Hi, I'm new to dvd burning. I just bought a NEC Dual Layer burner, and I'm wandering what software you would use to make a backup of a dual layer dvd, to a blank dual layer dvd, without losing any qaulity.

Thanks
jwheeler
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:41 pm

Rip it with DVD Decrypter and burn it with Nero.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby burninfool on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:09 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Rip it with DVD Decrypter and burn it with Nero.

Or rip in ISO mode and burn with DVDDecrypter.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:16 pm

One thing to note, however, is that when you rip a disc with DVD Decrypter (either in File or ISO mode) and then burn it with Nero or DVD Decrypter, it does not remove/update the layer break reference in the IFO files.

This has, for me, caused problems on some set top DVD players. Presumably because the layer break is not in the same place any longer.

The resulting behavior was that the players would not advance to the next chapter after the layer break. It would get "stuck" at the end of a chapter.

So now what I do is rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter, run it through Nero Recode using no compression but removing the layer break, then reburning it using Nero's DVD-Video mode. That seems to work better for some of the players I have.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:46 am

Wouldn't Shrink do the same thing (just set the disc size to DL or custom, and quality to 100%)?
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:14 pm

jase wrote:Wouldn't Shrink do the same thing (just set the disc size to DL or custom, and quality to 100%)?

If you're asking me (referring to my comments about Nero Recode), then probably it would. I don't use Shrink as much now, so I'm not positive that it has an option to remove the layer break settings from the IFO file.

If it does, then yeah, it should work just as well as Recode. The whole point of that step is just to remove the layer break settings from the IFO file.

(Which I'm still not even sure what the purpose of them is since when I burn the disc with Nero, it doesn't add layer break settings into the IFO files and the discs play. Those entries in the IFO files have always confused me. :) )
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Nero has never been able to record proper dvd-video ... maybe clonedvd does also 'fix' the layer break when using dvd-r dl media?
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:30 am

alexnoe wrote:Nero has never been able to record proper dvd-video ...

Is that so? [-X
Nero 6.3.1.17 works fine here.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:24 am

Last time I recorded a DVD-Video with Nero 6.3.1.1.7, Nero has made modifications in 3 of the IFO files (easy to find out using the fc command. Nero indeed claimed 'no files modified'). MKISOFS then refused to use those files on the disc for dvd-video image creation, saying that one of the files is broken now.

That your DVD player happens to play those broken discs does not mean that it works fine... #-o
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby ItalianJob on Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:32 am

I confirm there's an option in DVDShrink to remove the layer break when doing DVD+R9 rip with no compression.

No such option in DVDDecrypter ! I will contact the author...
Philips DVDR1668@BenQ DW1655 BCIB
BenQ DW1620 B7W9
LG GSA-4166B (dead)
NEC ND-2510A (retired)
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:34 am

wesociety wrote:
alexnoe wrote:Nero has never been able to record proper dvd-video ...

Is that so? [-X
Nero 6.3.1.17 works fine here.

There has been lots of discussion over this in various forums. There were issues with how Nero arranged files on the disc, they have made changes to IFO files, and so on.

They acknowledged some issues and have fixed them. Personally, I haven't had any problems with using Nero 6 to burn DVD-video.

Although usually, I just create a new UDF/ISO disc and drag the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders over. The only time I create a new DVD Video disc is if I am writing to DL media.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:36 am

ItalianJob wrote:I confirm there's an option in DVDShrink to remove the layer break when doing DVD+R9 rip with no compression.

No such option in DVDDecrypter ! I will contact the author...

I seem to recall in his forums a while back he said he would not add that as a feature.

Don't remember his reasoning. Certainly possible he could change his mind now that DL media makes it an issue.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers