Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DLA problems with Plextor PX-712

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

DLA problems with Plextor PX-712

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:46 am

I'm hoping RPedigo can shed some light on this...

I'm trying to packet write to a 4x DVD-RW disc using a Plextor PX-712SA and DLA 4.90. Unfortunately, the performance is terrible. It takes more than an hour to write the data when it should take less than 13 minutes.

I had this problem with v4.60 and it is still there with 4.90. Any chance Sonic will improve support for drives from non-OEM customers like Plextor?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RPedigo on Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:46 pm

Ian,

I probably already know the answer, but just to be sure... do you have the newest firmware for your drive?
Thanks, and have a great day!
Ryan Pedigo, Sonic Tech Support
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:58 pm

Of course. :wink:

I've had problems with DLA and Plextor drives since the 708A. With that drive, DLA wouldn't even format the disc.

As long as I'm talking about problematic drives, DLA also has issues with the Pioneer 108/A08. Here too, it takes forever to write the data to DVD-RW discs. I'm not sure if this is a problem with DRT-DM or what.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RPedigo on Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:34 pm

You COULD try clean installing DLA...

WARNING!- This will remove DLA completely.

Note: These instructions apply specifically to Windows XP.

To perform a clean reinstallation of DLA.

1) Uninstall the current copy of DLAusing the "Add/Remove Programs," control panel.
2) Delete the "DLA," folder from your Program Files folder. (By default this is located inside: C:\Program Files\Sonic\)
3) Edit the Registry to remove entries relating specifically to DLA. (As a precaution, please export any registry entries before deleting them.)
a. To start the Registry Editor, click on "Start," click on to "Run," type "regedit," and click "OK."
b. Open the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" folder. (If this folder does not exist, proceed to step f.)
c. Open the "Software" folder.
d. Open the "Sonic" folder.
e. Right-click on the "Direct Access" folder and select delete.
f. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sonic.
g. Right-click on the "Direct Access" folder and select delete.
h. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.
i. Right-click on the "{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}" folder and select delete. (This data for the "Default," setting in this folder should be "DriveLetterAccess.")
j. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products.
k. Right-click on the "29FE602138E2958RCABC02843CBCD76A" folder and select delete.
l. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
m. Right-click on the "VERITAS.DLAEventHandler" folder and select delete.
n. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID.
o. Right-click on the "{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}" folder and select delete. (This data for the "Default," setting in this folder should be "DriveLetterAccess.")
p. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes.
q. Right-click on the "VERITAS.DLAEventHandler" folder and select delete.
r. Got to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg.
s. Right-click on the "dla" folder and select delete.
t. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers.
u. Right-click on "VxDlaCdOnArrival" and select delete.
v. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
w. Right-click on the "{1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6}" folder and select delete.
4) Restart your computer.
5) Delete the "DLA," folder from the System32 folder. (This is located inside: C:\Windows\System32)
6) Reinstall DLA.

Also, does the same problem occur with non-rewritable discs?
Thanks, and have a great day!
Ryan Pedigo, Sonic Tech Support
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:43 pm

RPedigo wrote:You COULD try clean installing DLA...

Yeah, this was with a clean install of DLA. Lemme put it simply.. there are some issues with DLA. Even with 4.90. I'm very surprised that the software engineers don't test with drives from Plextor, Pioneer, etc. since they're some of the more popular manufacturers.

No, I haven't tried it with write once discs. I don't usually test with those.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RPedigo on Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Ian,

I am aware that some burners have issues with DLA, and we're expanding the amount of supported burners with each release. Let me know if the problem persists with the write-once media. I'm sure our testing will branch off into non-OEM vendors, but you have to understand that they need to be one of our priorities. If a vendor who has a deal to package our software comes out with a new burner, it may take precedence over another, as we need to ensure that our software that the company is buying is compatible with their product.

Quality Assurance is definately testing new drives every day, but we've got many more months before every burner is tested and certified or not.

Ryan
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:03 pm

I don't mean to rag on you. These are issues that have been bothering me for some time. If QA needs some help, let me know. As it is, I find myself beta testing half of the drives companies send us. Testing the latest build of DLA with them would not be a problem.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:47 pm

Ian wrote:As it is, I find myself beta testing half of the drives companies send us.

too bad they don't show their appreciation more :x
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Sonic Solutions and Roxio