Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Flash media and airport scanners

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Flash media and airport scanners

Postby MrDisco on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:46 pm

Ok I've read how consumer grade film is unaffected by the xray machines at airports (note not the higer powered units used to scan your luggage but the one used for carry on baggage). my question is can the same be said for digital cameras and digital media? is there a risk of having pics corrupted?
MrDisco
Buffer Underrun

Postby Silentbob343 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Not to my knowledge, but if want to be on the safe side there are special lead lined packs for film. My brother has one it holds about 9 rolls of film it would hold a ton of flash media.

look here for one of those bags:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &Q=&ci=344
Silentbob343
CD-RW Player

Postby MrDisco on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:04 pm

thanks for the link. i'll have to ask customs to see if they'll allow lead-lined bags or whether i can submit a hand search for the camera.
MrDisco
Buffer Underrun

Postby Silentbob343 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:08 pm

You can my brother used the lead pouch on our trip to Italy last summer. He just put it in the bag and put it through the X-ray machine.With most electronic devices you need to have them examined by security. They want to make sure they are working devices and not shells filled with illegal stuff.
Last edited by Silentbob343 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silentbob343
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:47 am

IMO,the picures will not get corrupted if the digital media is passed under the X-ray machine couple of times.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:17 pm

Not to my knowledge, but if want to be on the safe side there are special lead lined packs for film. My brother has one it holds about 9 rolls of film it would hold a ton of flash media.

I heard a few months back that you shouldn't use those. When they x-ray your bag/luggage, if they see something that is blocked like the lead-lined film roll, security will increase the amount of x-rays until they can see what is inside the lead-lined box. So, in the end, your bag/luggage is getting hit with a larger dose of x-rays.
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion