Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Office Depot DVD +- R Media 49.97 - Buy 1 get 1 Free

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Office Depot DVD +- R Media 49.97 - Buy 1 get 1 Free

Postby Rich on Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:02 am

Hello,

This is a buy one get one free for a 50 pack.

Anyone know this media? Is it good / bad?

The store ad doesn't say what the X factor is.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Burning-burning-burning Rawhide!
Rich
CD-RW Player

Office Max's offering

Postby Rich on Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:38 am

Hi again,

Here is a better deal since I won't have to spend as much. Office Max has Imation which I just searched and found favorable references to it here. :D

It is 4x +R and 15 buckazoids for 25. I'll get me two of those puppies.

I just hope they have it locally. Recently they had a special that didn't apply here in the islands. :cry:

I'll know in 4 1/2 hours when they deliver the Sunday Advertiser here at work.

GEEZ who just passed wind in the forum? [-X

rrrrich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

ahhh...poop

Postby Rich on Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:16 pm

Well that deal isn't in Hawaii, the Imation one at Office Max.

::sigh::

Next week is ony 7 days away.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Just don't purchase the MAXELL DVD MEDIA 50 PACK SPINDLES from OFFICE DEPOT next week. Those are MADE IN TAIWAN & it's on sale now in the 48 other states except us in Hawaii. Check the this thread from videohelp.com regarding MAXELL 50 PACK SPINDLES DVD-R MEDIA.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230736

Compusa has TDK DVD MEDIA on sale 50 pack spindle for $39.99. I'm not sure what the media code is but the TDK DVD-R 25 packs from COSTCO are TTG01 media. Compusa has a good return policy so if the media code is like CMC you can return it.
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:28 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:Just don't purchase the MAXELL DVD MEDIA 50 PACK SPINDLES from OFFICE DEPOT next week. Those are MADE IN TAIWAN & it's on sale now in the 48 other states except us in Hawaii. Check the this thread from videohelp.com regarding MAXELL 50 PACK SPINDLES DVD-R MEDIA.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230736

Compusa has TDK DVD MEDIA on sale 50 pack spindle for $39.99. I'm not sure what the media code is but the TDK DVD-R 25 packs from COSTCO are TTG01 media. Compusa has a good return policy so if the media code is like CMC you can return it.

Thanks a bunch for the reply.

I had thought before that Taiwan was good for blanks, perhaps that's just one Taiwan company?

I'll read the stuff at that link tonight at work.

On the Compusa stuff I was kind of holding out for getting down more like $ .40 per disk unless it was a smaller amount.

I may go ahead and get some at Costco. I saw those on Thursday and considered the DVD+R's but waited for a sale.

Your right about Costco's return policy. I returned a Laptop to the Iwilei store in May of '03 because it was junk; a Toshiba 1105 made by Compal in Taiwan. It was even designed by Compal as I understand. I had it for 6 months! They gave me cash right on the counter. About 2 days later I bought my current laptop (my precious) at the Hawaii Kai store. This one is a Toshiba 1415-S115.

Thanks again for the reply. If I can't stand waiting I'll go ahead and get the ones from Costco and I guess keep them if they say TTG01?

Hey if you want a big plate lunch get the Chicken Katsu from L & L !

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:49 pm

Rich wrote:...my current laptop (my precious)

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
what would Tolkien say?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:52 am

LOL! Do you work at L & L? Kidding!! I prefer the garlic chicken & hamburger steak at Sugoi's in Kalihi.

Are you looking at getting DVD+R or DVD-R TDK from Costco? The TTG01 media code is for DVD-R media. I'm not sure about the DVD+R media code but it could be either RICOH or CMC.
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:17 am

DVD_ADDICT wrote:

LOL! Do you work at L & L? Kidding!! I prefer the garlic chicken & hamburger steak at Sugoi's in Kalihi.

Are you looking at getting DVD+R or DVD-R TDK from Costco? The TTG01 media code is for DVD-R media. I'm not sure about the DVD+R media code but it could be either RICOH or CMC.

Wow I wish I'd looked more closely at the Office Depot ad.

(Locally) It's not the Maxell DVD media on sale, it's the Office Depot DVD media.

The Maxell is only their CD media.

I may just get over there on Tuesday and check it out and buy it. I guess I can use plextools to see what kind it is and if it's bad I'll take it back.

Oh, Nope on the L & L, a friend of mine on the North Shore told me about their chick katsu about 3 months ago. Wow it turned out to be so much better than Zippys, Kays, or Graces. They really give a lot of chicken. I didn't care as much for their barbecue mix plate though, but my friend said the chicken katsu was their specialty.

Sugoi's is a bit far for me and I'm not into garlic, but I used to eat at a take-out on the mauka side of School St. a few doors Ewa of Pohaku. That was 11 years ago when I quit smoking and the results are still leaning over my belt! lol

This past week I discovered a pastry in Foodland's pastries that is ham and cheese and Mayo in a bread pastry. Oh, ... yup I still got some holes available in my belt, I'll be ok.

Oh, off topic here's a link incase anyone wants to look at Honolulu's roadways:

http://wmserver.netenterprise.net/olelo-leg1

Wow, it's about 15 past 1 am and that all made me hungry,

LUNCH TIME.

later, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:32 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:Compusa has TDK DVD MEDIA on sale 50 pack spindle for $39.99. I'm not sure what the media code is but the TDK DVD-R 25 packs from COSTCO are TTG01 media. Compusa has a good return policy so if the media code is like CMC you can return it.

\:D/ ONO! ONO! ONO!

Hey Brahdah, (or Seestah), DAKINE!

I just got back from Compusa after much, no ... one hell of a lot of just feeling lost as far as what kind to try.

Finally your words of Compusa's liberal return policy gave me the push out the door and I got on my bike and went down there (Kaimuki to Compusa)

I found it (TDK 50pk) right inside and asked the customer service guy and he said you were right and to just bring all the media, receipt, and packaging and just having a lowly manufacturer would be fine for bringing it back.

I gritted my teeth and bought it, figuring I'd see CMC and be peddling back down here on Thursday.

Well I just got home and I have got me the following:
=======================
TDK DVD+R 50 PACK upc code : 0-20356-48308-1
Made in Taiwan
$39.99

They are silver matt on top with a TDK logo on the left and the words DVD Recordable RW and on the right is DVD+R 4x 4.7 GB 120 min.

They are purple on the bottom.

They are quite similar to the Maxells I got that are the same RICOH but these TDK's do have more 'squigglyness' on the edges than the Maxell. The squigglyness does not seem to go onto the bottom of the disk and there is a clear space between the edge of the media and the edge of the writting surface. ( identical to the maxells )

Also they are in a new style spindle with a knurled white base that clicks closed.

My Plextools Pro says:

Certified write speed of current media....2.4x-4x
Drive write speed for current media........2.4x-4x-6x-8x
Manufacturer ID.......................................RICOHJPN
Media ID..................................................R01
Product Revision......................................02
=======================

So, now the question is : Is Ricoh making their 'JPN' media in Taiwan? I guess so. But does being RICOH make it ok? I'll find out!

I haven't burned anything with this yet but it sure looks like I'll be taking my burner in to work tonight.

I swear that smell of new media can smell like K-Five ah, er Channel 5, or Chanel #5. ;-)

Anyway thanks for the tip on Compusa's media returnability.

The last thing I remember with their customer service was the complete dropping the ball for supporting unpaid rebates.

thanks again, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:39 am

Finally your words of Compusa's liberal return policy gave me the push out the door and I got on my bike and went down there (Kaimuki to Compusa)

Your welx about the return policy at Compusa! :) Whoas! Bradduh you rode your bike from Kaimuki to Compusa! That's one helluva bike ride especially with all the hot humid 90 degree weather we've been having. Good to hear the TDK DVD+R media was RICOH. I wonder about the DVD-R media which probably would be CMC!
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:15 am

DVD_ADDICT wrote: Whoas! Bradduh you rode your bike from Kaimuki to Compusa! That's one helluva bike ride especially with all the hot humid 90 degree weather we've been having.

Yup and at 52 and 250 too! :-)

I just used Microsoft's Streets and Trips to calculate it. It actually only 3.25 miles as I go.

But I must have toned up somehow because it's always been more of a ride home than going. There seems to be a tiny down grade on the way there and upgrade on the way back. It's only like maybe 3 foot total but it is noticable. This time for the first time it was hardly any different though. I must be in shape for 250!

I did a burn by generating most of the data and adding a couple small ATI tv news recordings. I got it 4 megs shy of 4.7 gigs.

I tested the 7 files with 'fc /b g:*.* *.*' and it tested perfect so as far as I'm concerned it's cool.

I did 2 plextools tests but am so completely unaware of what I'm doing.

I'm trying to figure out how to interpret it.

I hope to have something to post by morning.

rrrich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Plex 712a and TDK (RICHOJPN) media

Postby Rich on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:40 am

Well I ran plextools and did a Q-Check PI/PO test for SUM1 and got 1718 for the PIF and 0 for the POF.

I ran K-Probe 2.4.0 and I don't believe it would run though a firewire because each time I ran a test it finished very quickly with 0 errors.

I don't know how the 1718 PIF errors stacks up.

I'll try run other tests later.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:09 am

I just ran some more tests and the FE & TE tests show I may not be able to boost the 4x up to 8x. So, I'll just burn these puppies at 6x.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby Vanderlow on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:42 pm

You know you could have gotten 100 RiData (Ricoh) 4x +s for $46 shipped from NewEgg.
Vanderlow
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:09 am

You know you could have gotten 100 RiData (Ricoh) 4x +s for $46 shipped from NewEgg.

Highly doubt that it would be $46.00 shipped from newegg. Because shipping costs to Honolulu, Hawaii is always over $20.00. We are forced to pay 2 DAY AIR on FEDX that actually takes 3 days to get here. We're not fortunate like the 48 other states to have ground shipping or the fedx saver. :evil: :evil: But it's odd that ground shipping can be done to Hawaii and vice versa to the mainland. Yes, everything has to be air flown in but the point I'm trying to make is that GROUND SHIPPING does exist for Hawaii which takes 7-10 days. I've sent back computer components via GROUND SHIPPING back to California because it's cheaper. It's the companies that choose not to allow ground shipping for us because they make more money off of us with shipping and handling charges.
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:14 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:

Highly doubt that it would be $46.00 shipped from newegg. Because shipping costs to Honolulu, Hawaii is always over $20.00. We are forced to pay 2 DAY AIR on FEDX that actually takes 3 days to get here. We're not fortunate like the 48 other states to have ground shipping or the fedx saver. :evil: :evil: But it's odd that ground shipping can be done to Hawaii and vice versa to the mainland. Yes, everything has to be air flown in but the point I'm trying to make is that GROUND SHIPPING does exist for Hawaii which takes 7-10 days. I've sent back computer components via GROUND SHIPPING back to California because it's cheaper. It's the companies that choose not to allow ground shipping for us because they make more money off of us with shipping and handling charges.

TOUCHE !!

Locally I'm discovering a great difficulty in finding good media along with other things. I find when I decide to buy something it then becomes an adventure to find it locally at a decent price. Shoot, Radio Shack adds cost to every item just for being in Hawaii. My RS antennas for my router cost 35 instead of 30.

On the media I bought (the Compusa's TDK 50 pack 5x) I took it back. The test said it wouldn't work at maximum speed, which I still am not positive that means the 8x it (plextools) likely tried to test with, or the 4x that the media was rated at.

I came to figure that this would mean 50 pieces of media that I'd have to treat cautiously and as that sank in I made up my mind.

I got a refund like dvd_addict said and then did the unexpected and bought Compusa's own cheap dvd+r's. It was only $9.99 for 15 4x DVD+R's in a plastic wrap with not even a spindle.

Yeah, I know, 'what am I crazy?' ::mostly::

I figured this would be worse but vastly cheaper and this is only 15 pieces so I won't be stuck in it long. I have done 2 tests which passed a dos file check so they'll do untl I find some good stuff at a good price. I'll just be burning these at 2.4x.

Now I believe I'll be looking for a different goal. Now I want to find out what media is ALWAYS premium and what vendor is always there and has 'deals' atleast from time to time. First find the best media, then shop for price.

I would prefer a great deal on great quality 4x which my burner would happily burn at 8x. But, it occurs to me that I may have to wait until the shelves in the stores here locally are lined with 8x-16x media and the overall quality would surly have impoved. We'll see.

DVD_ADDICT:
There is a place on Kaheka on the first corner going Makai from King at the end of the first block on the Eva Makua corner. It is a hole in the wall shop called Cosmo and when I went there from getting my Plex they wanted to sell me like a hundred of Ritek 8x blanks. I may call them and see what they have. Shoot I think they are on the web too.

I just started to put down thier info but it dawned on me that may be advertising and a problem.

You can search and find it on the web.

later, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:31 pm

Yup, I know about Cosmo Media. I used to purchase all my Mitsu & Kodak CDR's, CD cases and now DVD cases. The prices there are high for some brands of DVD media. For instance their TAIYO YUDEN 50 pack spindle Printable DVD-R media is $89.99 if you walk in to purchase them, online it's $81.99. For the same item it's cheaper from RIMA.COM including the shipping cost to Hawaii. I won't purchase any dvd media from them because they jack up the prices knowing they are the only ones that carry those brands of DVD MEDIA. I don't know what their return policy is on the dvd media. I'd ask them what the return policy is.
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:57 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:Yup, I know about Cosmo Media. I used to purchase all my Mitsu & Kodak CDR's, CD cases and now DVD cases. The prices there are high for some brands of DVD media. For instance their TAIYO YUDEN 50 pack spindle Printable DVD-R media is $89.99 if you walk in to purchase them, online it's $81.99. For the same item it's cheaper from RIMA.COM including the shipping cost to Hawaii. I won't purchase any dvd media from them because they jack up the prices knowing they are the only ones that carry those brands of DVD MEDIA. I don't know what their return policy is on the dvd media. I'd ask them what the return policy is.

As Outkast would say, .... Alright-Alright-Alright-Alright-Alright-Alright

:^o [-o< #-o :-? :wink: :) :D

hahahaha

Well I just finally got out Mr. Visa and ordered from that Rima.com. I figured if it had a personal reference I'd give it a shot. I ordered the Taiyo Yuden 100 pack 8x DVD+R's for like 87 buckazoids.

I was so on the fence over 4x or 8x and knew through my firewire that it'll only burn at like 7.5x and the 4x would do it fine, but ... it was only 8 bucks more for the 8x and that finally made up my mind.

The shipping is 22 bucks so it's like 109 delivered. This is Thursday, 2:45pm HST so I figure this'll go out on Friday and get to me on Wednesday ..... maybe Monday-Tuesday with the weekend to fly over here ....... hmmm.

Now somebody pat me on the head and tell me I got the best media or something like that.

And if anyone knows of a cheaper deal PLEASE don't tell me for a couple weeks.

thanks, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers