Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Installed Easy Media Creator 7 along with Nero 6 and now InC

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Re: Installed Easy Media Creator 7 along with Nero 6 and now

Postby Howard Kaikow on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:32 am

bobmitchell wrote:I can no longer write to CD-RW or DVD+RW or -RW. Seems that even though InCD loads on startup...I keep getting "disk write protected or full" message and cannot write using 4.2.9.1. I did NOT install Drag to Disk when I put in EMC 7. Still use Nero 6 as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

You cannot have both InCD and Roxio's DragToDisk installed on the same bootable system.

EMC 7's DragToDisk appears to be more reliable than InCD, so you should uninstall InCD. If not, then uninstall DragToDisk.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 am

Finally solved the problem...

Got a copy of Roxizap and uninstalled EMC 7. Then reinstalled InCD 4.2.9.1 and everything is normal again. Easy as that...However, I must voice an unsatisfied opinion with Nero that they have waited over two months to fix InCD and still nothing.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:15 am

how did that solve the problem?
you solved by uninstalling EMC7? that's not really a solution.

what's Roxio zap ???
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:36 pm

Well...it actually solved a problem for me. I was getting blue screens for the first time with WinXP Professional with Drag to Disk. I would try to write to a disk and the blue screen would pop up OR my app would close and I would find myself back on my desktop. That NEVER happened to me with InCD...so Yes, I solved a problem. I installed EMC 7 on my wife's machine (since she is the one making Photo DVD's, anyway!)Everyone seems happy.

Bob

BTW...Roxizap is an application that you can get from Roxio that makes sure that the program uninstalls properly and that the registry is cleaned.
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:51 am

Our engineers have debugged the issue. I will stick to facts and avoid to give opinion about Roxio's software.

Even when you select to not install Drag-To-Disc from EMC 7 suite, it still silently installs Roxio UDF Reader. There seems to be no notice in the installer that it is installing this driver, and no option to not install it. There seems to be also no entry in Add/Remove Program to remove it.

The Roxio UDF Reader register itself as highest priority file system driver. Thus, it receives mount probe request before other file system drivers. And it does mount InCD formatted media. But, it mounts read-only because it has not write capabilities. Hence, InCD will not work when Roxio UDF Reader is present on the system.

We could not find the registration method of Roxio UDF Reader to the mount manager. Maybe it is not using the documented interfaces?

A read-only filesystem driver should not register itself as higher priority file system driver. On the contrary it should register itself as low priority, so it is used only if no other driver with read-write capabilities could mount the volume. In ideal conditions, Roxio UDF Reader would register itself between MS native UDF reader, and MS ISO reader (because on iso-udf bridge disc you likely want to see the UDF, not the ISO volume). With such registration, it would mount the media only when the UDF is not supported by MS native UDF reader. It would also avoid to steal the volume from other 3rd parties read-write filesystem drivers which will register themselves higher than MS native UDF reader (or the media would not be mounted read-write).

Does someone know if Roxio which recording branch has been purchased by Sonic is still maintaining EMC 7? Who should be contacted to suggest EMC 7 fixing?
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:33 am

Dave

Thanks for finding out this fact. Let me ask you this...is there a way to remove the Roxio UDF reader????

What method can I use to manually remove it?

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:18 pm

Good news: I found a responsive contact in Roxio. We will be working together on a solution. Probably we will prepare a UDFReader uninstaller as temporary solution proposed by the contact in Roxio. Right now I do not know how to remove it without removing EMC 7.
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:21 pm

dburg, please keep us up to date with the progress on this work.
thanks.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby bobmitchell on Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:51 am

Great work, Dave!!! I am also awaiting your response. As I stated, my system is Nero 6 products only. My wife uses EMC7 and Nero 5...but I really prefer InCD...

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:22 am

As temporary workaround, Ahead will prepare a tool to control the start up of Roxio UDF Reader. This tool will control the registry value "Start" in the key[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UDFReadr]

The dword will be set to 4 to disable Roxio UDF Reader (reboot required). The registry key was given by Roxio engineer.

Uninstall was not wise because EMC7 could have seen it as a defective installation and attempt to recover it.
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:15 am

what will this "tool" do ?
just change the value of that registry key ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dburg on Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:52 am

It is not yet finalized. Additionally to the registry key change forth and back, it will first ensure the presence of the key (NT-based systems). We found out also that on Win 9x/Me a different method is needed to enable/disable the Roxio UDF Reader as its start-up is not controlled by registry key there.

Basically, the tool will be here to hide complexity of the operation from the user, so he can use a simple tool instead to worry about manual system changes.
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)