Home News Reviews Forums Shop

WARNING Will Robinson: Office Depot Verbatim Sale is 2.4x

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

WARNING Will Robinson: Office Depot Verbatim Sale is 2.4x

Postby Rich on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:02 pm

Atleast at the local store on Kamakee in Honolulu the 'ON-Sale' Verbatim DVD+R's are only 1-2.4x.

I'm bummed.

My illustrious view of Office Depot is tarnished. This past Tuesday I called about the Maxell sale for 4x 50 packs for 59.97 buy one get one free and was told they were out. I ask/said that I could come in before Sat (last night) and get a raincheck? He told me I had to come in that day so I peddled over there like 3 miles just to get a raincheck.

This morning I saw the OD ad and peddled down to get the same deal on Verbatim 50 packs for only 54.97; $5 buckazoids cheaper. HoooWaaa.

I got there and went in just as the store opened at 10am and went back to find their display, .... 5 pieces! .... and it was only 2.4x.

I was stunned.

I went back up front to the manager and showed him my raincheck on the Maxells and told him the Maxell story and now the Verbatim story. He knew there were only 5 pieces there to cover the sale.

I asked him couldn't I just fill my Maxell raincheck with 4-25packs and he said no.

Wow.

I have had so many incredible deals there that I can't move them down from my favorite place to shop but boy did they tarnish the shine.

I had 3 months ago bought a Linksys WRT54GS router and WPC54GS cardbus adapter $180 for both and was given the 4-$10 dollar rebates (2 each) right at the register since they didn't have the rebate forms. You really can't beat their customer service ... usually.

Anyway enough pissing and moaning.

I just hoped I could save someone a trip.

Now I wanna get some sleep and later look for their raincheck policies and see what it looks like I'll get. I know someone who got a raincheck from Office Max for a Phillips CD burner a couple years back and when they couldn't get more they gave him a better one. Nice.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Burning-burning-burning Rawhide!
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:34 pm

50 Maxell 4x for $59.97? that's not really much of a sale! Over here in Canada I can get a 50pk of Maxell 4x DVD-Rs for $57-$58 regularily, and for $49.99 on sale at Futureshop. And the prices I'm quoting are Canadian $$$ not USD. :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:14 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:50 Maxell 4x for $59.97? that's not really much of a sale! Over here in Canada I can get a 50pk of Maxell 4x DVD-Rs for $57-$58 regularily, and for $49.99 on sale at Futureshop. And the prices I'm quoting are Canadian $$$ not USD. :o

Stupid me! Stupid me!

I'm sorry DR, That was a buy one get one free so it's a 100 for 59.97.

rrrrich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:58 pm

Hey Rich,

Next weeks Office Max ad in Honolulu will have DVD+R 5 PACKS IMATION discs on sale for $4.99 each, that's about $1.00 a piece. Not sure though if they're 2x or 4x speed. We're one week behind in the sales at Office Max and Office Depot.

I went down to CompUsa this morning to purchase the MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE $99.99 after a $60.00 instant rebate & a ADAPTEC FIREWIRE PCI CARD for $9.99 after rebates. As it turns out the ADAPTEC FIREWIRE CARD was out of stock & they only had 3 freeking ones on the shelf to begin with as I was told by one of the stockers. Of course I didn't get one. I know how yuh feel bruddah. :(

Least I got some FUJI DVD-R 4x (TAIYO YUDEN) from Office Max in Waikele. I was surprised to find out they still had them in stock. $10.00 clearance price for a box of 10 discs w/jewel cases, $1.00 a disc. :D
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:09 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:Hey Rich,

Next weeks Office Max ad in Honolulu will have DVD+R 5 PACKS IMATION discs on sale for $4.99 each, that's about $1.00 a piece. Not sure though if they're 2x or 4x speed. We're one week behind in the sales at Office Max and Office Depot.

I went down to CompUsa this morning to purchase D

Good for you on the things you picked up.

I'm looking for a .40-.60 a disk media for general use. Since nothing else is going on I may just give Cosmo a call and check out that "G04 RiData media for 65 cents per disc" the guy mentioned. I'll call them up maybe Tuesday and see.

I need to find out if G04 RiData media is good/bad stuff.

I just slept til 3pm after my Office Depot excursion. I nearly bought the farm with a guy coming out of McCully Zippys on King without looking. I mean within inches (like 3-4 inches). Wow.

I checked Radio Shack on the way back and they were a buck a disk.

Anyway, have a good holiday,

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:53 pm

Ridata is manufactured by RITEK. In the last few months there have been bad batches that people have complained about. I used to use RITEK G04 DVD-R 4x the orange bulk packs until the prices went up. I'd be leary about using RITEK discs. For general use discs I just use CHEAPO COMPUSA DVD-R 2x speed discs. My Plextor 708A drive loves them but my Pioneer 107D and Liteon 411@ 811 drives don't care for it. LoL!

Good rule of thumb is use what works best for you! :D
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:34 am

DVD_ADDICT wrote:

Ridata is manufactured by RITEK. In the last few months there have been bad batches that people have complained about. :D

Yeah, I've seen so much hype and hurling about Ritek. It leaves me uneasy. I guess I'll wait. Maybe Office Depot will get some Maxells in.

How ya like my new Avitar?

hmmm?

hhahaha

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:43 pm

Lmfao! :) Hey nice avatar you got there! Check on Saturday nights the websites for Office Depot, Office Max & CompUsa for their Sunday ads. I do that every weekend cause I wanna know what's on sale before Sunday morning.
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:19 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:Lmfao! :) Hey nice avatar you got there! Check on Saturday nights the websites for Office Depot, Office Max & CompUsa for their Sunday ads. I do that every weekend cause I wanna know what's on sale before Sunday morning.

Ohhh Yeah, I've been doing that for years now. When I get up at 9:45pm Sat nights to head to work I check those 3 while waking up. Problem is I can't ever get Hawaii ads from Office Max, I just use Concord Ca.

later, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby kirpen on Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:49 pm

I cant stand my office Max's anymore. They rarely have the media they advertise and when they do its in such low stock that only the first few customers can get it. I tried to get some cheapo packs of cd-rs two sales in a row. The first time I went they said only one location got the cds in and only 40 packs at that. I tired again for this weeks sale and the guy says none of the local stores have had them in stock for a while despite the ad.
kirpen
CD-RW Thug

Postby Rich on Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:42 pm

kirpen wrote:I cant stand my office Max's anymore. They rarely have the media they advertise and when they do its in such low stock that only the first few customers can get it. I tried to get some cheapo packs of cd-rs two sales in a row. The first time I went they said only one location got the cds in and only 40 packs at that. I tired again for this weeks sale and the guy says none of the local stores have had them in stock for a while despite the ad.

Me too. I had a rebate on something a couple years ago that they swore to me I'd get from them if not from the product and ... yup they lied!

Office Max is on the bottom of my list for purchases but I do still find myself there. I wish I'd bought the 50 packs of Kypermedia about a couple months ago I wouldn't be still looking. Compusa is as bad on rebates as Office Max. I've totally started avoiding any rebate purchases from either and have actually passed on rebate sales from them when the price without the rebate would have been ok. Just too bad of a taste in my mouthl. Office Depot, on the other hand, even with the handling of this, is much different. They have given me many terrific deals over the past years. I always check Office Depot if they have what I'm about to buy and if so I get it there.

That rima.com that DVD_ADDICT told me about was on the up and up and fast too.

later, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers