Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Grade B DVD-R's - insane price

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Grade B DVD-R's - insane price

Postby hardware_failure on Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:28 pm

I know grade B's are well... grade B's (aka garbage) but this price made me do a double take: 50 pk of DVD-R 4x, $8.50, free shipping.

I didnt post this in 'Hot Deals' because I dont think alot of people would want to depend on these discs for anything.

I was thinking about picking some up just for the hell of it. 50 for 8.50, no shipping? That’s cheaper than normal CDR's.

One thing that concerns me is that the site mentions that "This media will ONLY work for Pioneer and Plextor DVD burner." Is this just a guidline, or are there some discs that TRULY will only work in specifically plextor/pioneers? My guess is that the company simply has 'better luck' with these brands. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback..
hardware_failure
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:34 pm

cdrdvdrmedia wrote:Please Note:
This is a GRADE B media, it is in a fair burnable condition. Some of the pieces might have slice scratches at the outer edges, it will not effect the burning procedure according to our testing.

This media will ONLY work for Pioneer and Plextor DVD burner. If you are looking for GRADE A media that have perfect conditionings and fully compatibilities, please check out our GreatAzo products.

At least they warn you that they are defective.
'according to our testing' ... yeah right :roll:
Discs with scratches or physical defects can be better classified as Grade D / Grade E / Grade F or lower IMO!!!!!
I recommend avoiding if you care about the integrity of your backups.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:59 pm

not *that* impressive... I can get crap discs for $0.26 CAD anytime I want....
http://www.cwo.ca/

not that I ever WANT media of that caliber... I have similar stuff that was GIVEN to me, that I am tempted to throw out, since it is so useless!!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:16 pm

Would you eat Grade D eggs and drink Grade D milk?

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby hardware_failure on Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously there IS a reason they are this price.
hardware_failure
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:37 pm

CowboySlim wrote:Would you eat Grade D eggs and drink Grade D milk?

Slim

Good analogy! :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Phoenix '97 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:02 pm

Slim

My 3500A seems like it will burn anything I throw at it well, even old 2x Princo media!
Really, how much does it cost to make a DVD±R now such that Canadian companies can sell them for < 40 cents a disc?
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:47 pm

Phoenix '97 wrote:

Slim

My 3500A seems like it will burn anything I throw at it well, even old 2x Princo media!
Really, how much does it cost to make a DVD±R now such that Canadian companies can sell them for < 40 cents a disc?

Well, a lot of companies sell 4x DVD-Rs below cost in order to make up some of their production costs... it's really screwed up the industry! anything selling for less then $0.40 CDN retail is pretty worrisome to me (quality wise).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:30 am

Anyone know who makes them and do they sell sample discs of this stuff?

A tempting deal, since I just picked up a NEC 2500a that burns all my CMC, Taiyo and Prodisc DVD-+R's flawlessly.

But I'm sick and tired of messing around with junk media that doesnt burn when I really need it to. Take your chances but youre better off buying better stuff.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:50 am

media like that can be made by anyone, or a no name plant you'll never track down. They might as well have a TY code even. Codes mean very little anymore :(

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rugger on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:13 am

Good quality disks are so cheap too now, there is no point in even considering B grade (or worse) disks.

If you are cheap, RitekG04 disks (as long as you get good ones) are a bargain still.

If you crave faster speeds, RitekG05 and TDK branded disks have fallen in price considerably.
rugger
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:23 pm

why settle for crappy Ritek when TY is getting so cheap? Heh, I can't even believe I'm saying that, but it's true! TY is much cheaper then they were a month or two ago, and really quite a reasonable price for a top of the line disc, with none of the flaws inherint in a Ritek disc.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:05 am

Is this a cheap media contest?
$0.14 US per disc, 4X DVD-R media.
The shop told me that the discs have a MID of LONGTEN001, which means they could be made by many different manufacturers.
Probably made in Hong Kong.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:39 am

wesociety wrote:Is this a cheap media contest?
$0.14 US per disc, 4X DVD-R media.
The shop told me that the discs have a MID of LONGTEN001, which means they could be made by many different manufacturers.
Probably made in Hong Kong.

Heh, I love that one:

House Brand Silver top DVD-R. Compatible with PIONEER DVR-A03,04,05,06,07 SONY DUR-500A,510A NEC ND-1300A 2500A TEAC DV-W50E,50D DVD-R writer. *THIS ITEM IS FOR ON-LINE ORDER ONLY* 100% "A" GRADE.

That last part gets me everytime! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:30 am

How good are those Legacy DVD-R's Newegg are selling (50 pack - for $19.00) are these grade B's?
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby rugger on Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:25 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:why settle for crappy Ritek when TY is getting so cheap? Heh, I can't even believe I'm saying that, but it's true! TY is much cheaper then they were a month or two ago, and really quite a reasonable price for a top of the line disc, with none of the flaws inherint in a Ritek disc.

But finding TY here in australia is mostly impossible, and they are still outragously expensive when you do find them.
rugger
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:33 pm

rugger wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:why settle for crappy Ritek when TY is getting so cheap? Heh, I can't even believe I'm saying that, but it's true! TY is much cheaper then they were a month or two ago, and really quite a reasonable price for a top of the line disc, with none of the flaws inherint in a Ritek disc.

But finding TY here in australia is mostly impossible, and they are still outragously expensive when you do find them.

Well, I'd offer to ship some out to you, but unless you were buying say 20,000 or 40,000 pieces, it probably wouldn't be worth it #-o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Grade B DVD-R's - insane price

Postby liteonrules on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:59 am

i ordered them just to try them out and i got them in yesterday, they are scratched up at the outer edges and are not readable if u burn a full 4.7 movie to it ,so i compressed all movies to 4.0 gb only and my NEC 2500A burns them all at 8x with no problems and they work with my APEX DVD player. i can't tell the quality loss when i compress to 4.0gb instead of 4.7gb
url=http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/dvd-r-dvdr-media-4x.html]50 pk of DVD-R 4x, $8.50, free shipping.[/url]

NEC 2500A $20 10/04
NEC 3500AG for $47 4/05
NEC 3540 for $35 9/05
BENQ 1620 for $36 9//05
liteonrules
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:20 pm

I can now get 4x DVD-Rs in Canada for $0.20 CAD.... I wonder if they melt if you put them in the sun? :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Phoenix '97 on Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:52 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I can now get 4x DVD-Rs in Canada for $0.20 CAD.... I wonder if they melt if you put them in the sun? :lol:

Wow, that's cheaper than the CD-R levy. :P
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:43 am

Phoenix '97 wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:I can now get 4x DVD-Rs in Canada for $0.20 CAD.... I wonder if they melt if you put them in the sun? :lol:

Wow, that's cheaper than the CD-R levy. :P

Yeah... it's below the manufacturing cost of the media... if you include licensing fees, and R&D costs that is :wink: (but those discs don't have proper licensing I'm betting!).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers