Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Will DVD-DL be a transition product?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Will DVD-DL be a transition product?

Postby bimbla on Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:26 am

With HD-DVD already making so much news (or noise), will DVD-DL be a transition product even before it has reached its limits?

bimbla.
bimbla
CD-RW Player

Postby extreme on Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:42 pm

I think DVD-DL will be available for use, simply because the double layer burner and DL disc are not mature yet as of now, due to incompatibility issues. We'll just see what happens when DVD-DL becomes available and compare the DVD-DL and DVD+DL to see what format is the most compatible. For now DVD+DL seems to have an advatage in terms of speed improvement.
extreme
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:04 pm

The problem with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is you will have to buy a new player to use the extra capacity(a firmware upgrade won't do it),DVD+DL is compatible with nearly all players if you use the DVD-ROM booktype.
It may be a several years before we will see cheap HD-DVD/Blu-Ray recorders and players.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:42 pm

Yep, as long as prices are reasonable, DL has a good future. I don't think HD DVD or Blu Ray are going to go mainstream for at least another 5 years. Yeah, the people that have the latest and greatest will jump on board right away, but most consumers will hold onto DVD's for awhile.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby uknown1234 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:56 pm

Ian wrote:Yep, as long as prices are reasonable, DL has a good future. I don't think HD DVD or Blu Ray are going to go mainstream for at least another 5 years. Yeah, the people that have the latest and greatest will jump on board right away, but most consumers will hold onto DVD's for awhile.

yup I know I will =D>
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug

Return to DVD Writers