Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LiteOn FW GSOM

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

LiteOn FW GSOM

Postby ruderacer on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:42 pm

On 9/24/04, Ian announced a new FW for the LiteOn 851 GSOM. I downloaded it and tryied it with no success. It does not allow you to change the booktype. How can I go back to the previous FW GSOK?
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Re: LiteOn FW GSOM

Postby ala42 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:56 pm

ruderacer wrote:On 9/24/04, Ian announced a new FW for the LiteOn 851 GSOM. I downloaded it and tryied it with no success. It does not allow you to change the booktype. How can I go back to the previous FW GSOK?
Look here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html
ala42
CD-RW Thug

Postby ruderacer on Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:08 pm

ala42, I just finished flashing my drive using the codeguys FW 851@832. So now my 851 drive is recognized as an 832. I going to give it a try and see how it works with this FW. The thing was that the old FW GSOK allowed to change booktype and GSOM does not.

Thanks.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby ala42 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:32 pm

ruderacer wrote:ala42, I just finished flashing my drive using the codeguys FW 851@832. So now my 851 drive is recognized as an 832. I going to give it a try and see how it works with this FW. The thing was that the old FW GSOK allowed to change booktype and GSOM does not.
So you could simply take the GS0K from their site to restore the previous state. Well, upgrading to VS0B is not such a bad idea :)
ala42
CD-RW Thug

Postby ruderacer on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:15 pm

Actually, as far as I know, once you upgrade the FW you can't go back to the previous. Since I had the GSOM FW, I tried to flash with GSOK and it would not allow me to do so. I wrote to the codeguys and they responded by saying that I could use the VSOB FW, which turns my 851 to an 832, at least that's what I understood. I did and it worked great. I just burned a back-up copy of "MAN ON FIRE" using DVDXCOPY (I know most hate this program) and it took about 22 minutes to read and ONLY 8 and a half minutes to burn using 8X media (Memorex/CMC). I was quite pleased because it would take longer using the old FW GSOK and was not working well with the FW GSOM.
The booktype works.

Thanks to the codeguys.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:54 pm

Yes, GS0M did not support bitsetting, so it was removed. Liteon's official flash tools do not allow you to downgrade. There are many ways around this, however. You can patch the flash tool with FlashFix or you can get a binary version of an older version and flash it onto your drive with LtnFW or mtkflash.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:13 pm

Spoke too soon! The movie I just copied, only the audio works. I'm using PowerDVD to watch and I get a blank screen and audio only. I don't know what's going on. I wonder if is the FW update to the 832? Well, if anyone has any ideas they are welcome. Thanks.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:09 pm

ruderacer wrote:I'm using PowerDVD to watch and I get a blank screen and audio only.
This problem is not caused by the drive or its firmware. My guess is that it's caused by your video card and its drivers. Do you have a somewhat dated nVidia card using the latest nForce drivers?
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:44 am

Yes, I'm using an NVidia V9180 Series with 64 MB. And yes, not too long ago I updated the drivers. But, if I insert the original movie, it plays w/o any problems. I also inserted another movie I copied before and plays fine. I don't think it's the drivers. Could it be the program, the new FW, or the burner?

I'm going to try to copy it again. This time I'll try using some 4X media I have.
Thanks.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:15 pm

No, it's not the firmware or the burner itself. You have to understand that the sole function of the drive is to deliver the raw data to the DVD Player software.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Well, I just burned another copy of the movie using Mitsubishi 4X media and I had the same result. But what I found out was strange. Before, when I would insert a movie and I used PowerDVD, it would play the movie w/o problems. The two movies burned at 4X using CMC and 8X using Mitsubishi media did the same thing. You could hear the audio and no picture. Today, I found that I accidently hit the scroll on the mouse while playing the movie (hearing only audio) using PowerDVD and on the top of the screen I saw that it displayed the speed. I guess it's the speed the movie is playing. I scrolled it to 1X and the picture came on no problems and you see the movie. However, I'm using DVDXCOPY PLAT and it normally gives you a screen at the start saying this a copy. All three times it did not give me this and it did not have the menus or previews. It just copied the actual movie.

Now I cannot play either DVD on my Toshiba DVD player (plays DVD-R). The first two copies were burned as +R and I burned a Third as DVD-ROM (I changed the booktype using the LiteOn Utility) and still would not play on my Toshiba DVD player. The player does not respond. All three play on the computer using PowerDVD, but I have to manually adjust the speed to 1X for it to be seen. I have no clue as to what is going on.

What I noticed while playing the original movie is that while displaying the FBI and other warnings the speed slider is in the middle and then when the previews begin it changes to 1X. Could it be that the movie is being copied with the speed at less than 1X?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers