Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Lacie Drive Dual Layer Problems

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Lacie Drive Dual Layer Problems

Postby simoncpage on Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:39 pm

Recently bought the lacie 16x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer external drive.

It basically a NEC 2510A drive (I believe) firmware 2.07 (was 2.05 when I got it)

I have tried burning to it with a number applications Nero 6, Clonedvd2 but I am getting errors (nero tells me there isn't enough room on the disk - even though it recognises its a dual layer disk etc).

Media I am using are: DVD+R DL Traxdata

I can burning single layer and cds fine the only problem is with dual layers

I have looked on the NEC site and the latest firmware is 2.16 but you can only upgrade from version 2.15??

Anyone else had experience of this? or any suggestions on what I can try?

Thanks
simoncpage
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:23 pm

use a hacked firmware... the NEC's regular firmware isn't very good with that media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

help

Postby simoncpage on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:19 am

So where can I look for firmware hacks?

Thanks
simoncpage
Buffer Underrun

Re: help

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:33 pm

simoncpage wrote:So where can I look for firmware hacks?

Thanks

www.rpc1.org, they have a very complete firmware database! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby karo on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:01 pm

The guy at Roxio told me I had a firmware problem (blamed it on the machine) . The guy at Lacie blamed it on the software !

Later I finally got somebody who acted like they knew what they were doing . Tech at Lacie . Yes the latest (according to Roxio dude) is 2.16 . The Lacie guy said NEC sends with appropriate firmware and they've not done firmware updates , except a few years ago when they used Yamaha drives . He said you'd have to go to a PC and do it . Are you on a PC ? And he acted like that wouldn't be necessary .

If you are on mac you should prob be using Toast and you need Panther , 10.3 , to do double layer burning . Your software might not able to do this . I haven't burned dbl layer yet , but believe me , I went round with this burner . I have now got it sussed out and this burner is Bad A$$ .

So if you're having problems , hang in there . I was getting real pissed, when I called Lacie at first , they said I was the first to call about the 16x . They acted like they didnt know anything about it !

Ask for Matt , Lacie phone tech . When I finally got him to address my problems , he gave me alot of confidence in it cause he acted like he knew something ABOUT IT !!! Nobody else did .

Check your software is my suggestion . And realize they recommend a certain operating system for dbl. layer burning on mac so if you're on PC it might be the same deal .

This burner ROCKS . It's the 3500 AG by the way . The 2510 was the 8x dbl layer .
karo
Buffer Underrun

Postby Bhairav on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:39 pm

Herrie's firmware are awesome (http://www.herrie.org), but his site is down right now.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:55 pm

Lacie is about a month away from a new firmware they told me... that could mean that NEC is about a month away from a firmware, or that the firmware Lacie wants from NEC is about a month away.

Yes, the drive is quite good :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby karo on Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Well when it happens I'd like to know what it enables it to do . Use diff. media ? Happy burning . :D
karo
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers