Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Optorite Dual Layer DVD Writer Useless at Writing to CD-RW

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Optorite Dual Layer DVD Writer Useless at Writing to CD-RW

Postby deeinlondon on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:22 pm

I'm on my 2nd Optorite DVD Burner going from a DD0401 writer to a DD1201 Writer, I recently got a CD in Car MP3 Player so wanted to burn some music to CDRW and finding the optorite DD1201 pretty useless at writing and even being able to read most of my CD-RW's.

My Maxell Disks won't even read in the DD1201 and , My LG Disk won't read, and some of my TDK Disks don't read either.

I have an External Freecom USB 2 CD Writer and in the same PC it seems to read and write to the same disks fine.

The DD102 had firmware 100E and I upgraded to 120E and no improvement at all.

I suspect the Optorite is not very good at writing to a disk unless the surface is perfect, i.e. no light surface scratches.

The point is this Drive should be able to deal with Dual Layer DVD Disks so why can't it handle simple CD RW's?

Have Optorite screwed up the firmware like they did with the DD0401 ? Where people applying the updated firmware (like me) found it made the drive almost unusable with brand new DVD-R's?
deeinlondon
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:47 pm

i recommend you try Verbatim CD-RW media.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby deeinlondon on Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:30 am

dodecahedron wrote:i recommend you try Verbatim CD-RW media.

I do have Verbatim DVD+RW Media and it works fine, not got hold of CDRW Media from them yet.

I did however make a DVD using Shrink DVD and found that at 8 Speed recording I got problems with the audio, not sure if this is due to the recorder or some software problem.
deeinlondon
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers