Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NOOB LOOKING FOR SOME ANSWERS

DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring, editing, copying and transcoding.

NOOB LOOKING FOR SOME ANSWERS

Postby brasscorpion on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:47 am

Okay second post here on the Forums and I am a new member...so go easy

I have read over some of the posts here the last couple of days and have done a few searches on the forum. So I just need some clarification. Hopefully this wont be to redundent since it has been covered probably a 100 times before.

Okay this is what I have learned over the couple days of reading.

First if I want to copy a DVD...I am not going to get "SPIDERMAN" on 1 4.7G disk. So I need some type of compression software or I need to somehow strip down the Original DVD. For this it looks like everyone is using DVD SHRINK. Is this correct???

Second in order to copy and shrink the DVD I am going to need a program that defeats or strips away the CSS protection...For this it looks like the best and most popular software/program is DVD DECRYPTER. Is this correct???

Both of these programs are free. Is this correct???

I just purchased the 16X DIGITAL MAX drive from Office MAX over black friday and want to start to copying DVD's for the kids for when we take long road trips in the SUV. The package came with NERO OEM version but I think it is still NERO 6.

I have over 200 Gigs on the PC and have Pinnacle Studio 8 + fire wire and other gadgets and have made SVCD's. Basically home movies on video using MPEG2 compression and the like but this DVD stuff is a whole new animal.

Anyway, enough of the rambling...any help that can be provided and links would be great...AND THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Brass
Brass
brasscorpion
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:03 am

Yes, both programs are free. You really don't need DVD Decrypter if you're using DVD Shrink. It too will rip the contents from the disc. Link to it:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:31 pm

reason i use dvd decrypter with dvdshrink is becuase it burns automatically from dvdshrink

no setting up settinsg, just opens and burns

and having both work together is totally free
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Okay learned something new

Postby brasscorpion on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:58 pm

Okay...so both Decryptor and Shrink work pretty much the same and since I have NERO 6 Shrink should work just fine.

If I got this right, the CSS coding and other copyright stuff on a DVD prevents copying or the ripping process NOT THE re-WRITING process. So basically if you can rip a good copy then the re-writing is a snap???

What Decryptor and Shrink do is they defeat the coding during the RIPPING process so that the dvd files can then be put on a hard drive OR burnt directly to a new DVD disc.

Does the newly burnt DVD copy have the encryption still on it or do the 2 programs just wipe it away? Also can the whole mess be converted to raw .AVI or .MPG video?

Also I noticed that on a DVD there are several type of files some listed as VOB and IPF or something like that. Is each one of these files important and integral to getting a good copy?

When I copy the file CAN A PERSON then go in and edit the work...for example if I just want the MOVIE and I want to get rid of all the Trailers and Special Editors junk can that be done with something like PINNACLE Studio?

Again thanks for any advice or education you can lend to the subject.

Anyway I will try to do MORE reading to bone up on the terminology and activity of copying DVD's.
Brass
brasscorpion
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:42 pm

ok here is my process

start dvdshrink, rip movie only by re-authering dvd project

click backup, give it a name and tell it rip to iso file and burn with dvd decrypter

click start, thats it, hands free until the dvd is done burning with dvd decrypter

and yes dvdshrink gets rid of the dvd protection entirely, and region free
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby margrave on Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:45 pm

If you want to keep the movie at its original quality or you want all the extras as well, use DVDFab which splits the original dual-layer DVD into 2 single layer discs. It also removes CSS and region coding...
margrave
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:08 am

yeah theres always that option too

dvdfab was one of the few programs i bought

although haven't touched it in quite a number of months though