Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CD Surface Repair

Burn baby burn!

CD Surface Repair

Postby patmac on Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Hello,
I have all types of disks that need some level of repair, including Game Cube disks ( small ones, 3" I think ).
What's the concensus on a disk repair tool?
Any suggestions from the experts will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
patmac
patmac
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:27 pm

Well these tools like Disc doctor and so are not that reliable. Infact some tests pointed out they do more harm then good.
Then how about the toothpaste trick. Well I know one person who had some succes with that one. However I myself do not have a good feeling with it. Still I might test it if it's really that good.
Small repair kist. These kits vary in quality all the way. Some are quite ussable while others seem to be horrible. (also this might be related to the person who is useing it and the set and the damage.)
Now about the profesional sollutions. I have heard positive about a companny who does repair treatment for disc's. What I know that they did a excellent job however the costs were quite high !!
If people really are interested in the last one then I might try to dig it up from the archive. In the worst case to found out it's a Dutch companny who only does it for Dutch customers.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby patmac on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:04 pm

Thank you for the input RJW.
Since posting my original append, I've tried Skip Doctor. It repaired an unusable Playstation disc to the point it played flawlessly.
My problem with this company is, the box states it works with ANY disc, but fails to state on the outside of the box you need a special adaptor ring to hold the Gamecube type discs. I've been unable to locate the adpator disc locally. It's available online, but the cost of shipping is almost as much as the disc itself. None of the local stores that sell the main unit carry the adaptor. Of course they wouldn't since the box states it works with any format.
Again, thanks for the input. What others have to say is always very valuable to me.
patmac
patmac
Buffer Underrun

Disc Doctor works for me

Postby Seagoat on Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:20 pm

I have saved some frisbee like CDs from the trash, especially my daughter's rock CDs she buys on ebay which occasionally are not in near mint but rather trashed condition. DD cuts through 2 layers of plastic at a time. The most I've cut is 8 layers or 4 rotations. I haven't lost a CD yet; however, scratched top surfaces are the death knell to CDs. I have 5,000 CDs and 99% are in mint condition. Actually, fingerprints and smudges are more detrimental than light scratches. Be sure that your disc doesn't have smudges which block the laser light, just clean with any water based solution or high fiber electronic or glass cloth (ultrasmooth).
Seagoat
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives