Home News Reviews Forums Shop

A word from Maxell....

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

A word from Maxell....

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:37 pm

Maxell: You'll be happy to know that we're going to be shipping 8x DVDRs very soon, just as soon as we run out of our 4x DVDRs

Dolphin: Good good, anything else cool coming up?

Maxell: Well, our Dual Layer media will be available in January

Dolphin: Umm... sure it will..... :roll:
Dolphin: By the way, do you know who's making it for you?

Maxell: So far we've been told that we are making it

Dolphin: Really? ( :^o )

Maxell: Well, that's what we've been told, that it's made in Japan by us

Dolphin: Oh? just like your 16x DVDRs?

Maxell: umm, no comment.

This took place about 10min ago...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:17 pm

Shipping their 8x DVD-Rs soon? Maxell 8x DVD-Rs have been on the shelves for at least a month now, what are they talking about?
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:27 pm

Gen-An wrote:Shipping their 8x DVD-Rs soon? Maxell 8x DVD-Rs have been on the shelves for at least a month now, what are they talking about?

There's a difference between what retail stores get, and what professional distributors get. Although I'm proud to say Maxell *DID* come through for me and get me 16x DVD+Rs before I could buy them in Walmart.

Also keep in mind I'm referring to Maxell Canada.... but all of Maxell North America is not "officially" shipping 8x DVDRs yet to their distributors.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:45 am

Dolphinius: Have you ever come across Maxell DVD-R Plus discs and if so how do they differ from the normal Maxell DVD-R? Do they also have a DVD+R Plus disc? Also have to say I can't wait for Benq to release a FW that burns to these discs better because I've been using them for a while now and always swore by them.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:55 am

I should add however that the BenQ burns Maxell way better than the Liteon 821s@832s I used to have. And I mean way better even though the Liteon burned discs played back fine in my players and all of my buddies' players which leads me to believe that the Maxells burned with the BenQ that are now giving trouble sometimes with playback in the Pioneer DV-275 means that person's player must be starting to fail on them. Can't be jitter levels either because the Liteon burned ones have a higher jutter level than the ones burned by the BenQ.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby spryfly on Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:57 am

I can confirm that maxell (made in japan) 8x dvd+r are currently availible in the us. i bought them a few weeks ago at office depot.....funny thing was they had the same upc as the 4x. however, they say 8x and more importantly they burn 8x.
"Why? Said the spry little fly."

Nec 3500 LD V2 B6 Quiet
Benq 1620 B7T9 Stock
Liteon 1633sx BS41 Patched for 12x DL Ripping
spryfly
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:27 am

Yeah I bought 2 spindles of those recently in Winnipeg. Prices for Maxell are fairly ridiculous over here then again so are all retail prices in Winnipeg which is why I only buy retail if I run out and need some blanks right away. I mean 10 Maxell 4x DVD+Rs for 24.99 CAD is the highway robbery. I'm actually amazed anyone pays those prices. I must try and get Tom at blankmedia to open a store in Winnipeg and give these stores a serious run for their money.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:48 am

seaegg wrote:Yeah I bought 2 spindles of those recently in Winnipeg. Prices for Maxell are fairly ridiculous over here then again so are all retail prices in Winnipeg which is why I only buy retail if I run out and need some blanks right away. I mean 10 Maxell 4x DVD+Rs for 24.99 CAD is the highway robbery. I'm actually amazed anyone pays those prices. I must try and get Tom at blankmedia to open a store in Winnipeg and give these stores a serious run for their money.

Tom wouldn't do that.... but if you're lucky maybe I'll be able to remedy the situation there one of these days. I'm HOPING I can start working on more areas of Canada then just BC and Ontario soon, but time is ALWAYS so short.

To answer your question about Maxell Plus Series media, yes I've run into it, I have a small handful of the stuff that Maxell gave to me... Despite my regular rants about Maxell, we actually have a very good relationship, I just get very frustrated at their lack of solid information. No, there will be no plus series DVD+R media from Maxell... and I have also PERSONALLY (verbally) smacked the person who decided on marketing a professional series of DVD-Rs as a PLUS series (nice guy, but just didn't think that one through enough really).

Out of curiousity, where are you getting your Plus Series media? No retail store should be carrying it.... it's one of those limited perks that Maxell Professional distributors have over the retail conglomerats.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:36 pm

I haven't got any or physically seen any Plus series it's just that I noticed it on Maxell's website and was curious. Speaking of which I have to do some scan comparisons of Maxell's 4x DVD+Rs(Ricoh) vs their 8x DVD+Rs(Maxell Code Made in Japan) because my BenQ burns the Ricoh Maxells really well but the 8x give some people's players trouble.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:50 pm

I've already used 3 5-packs of maxell 8x dvd-r .... and well, the write quality isn't too good at 16x, but far better than what 8xmedia @ 16x sounds like :D
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers