Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What new features do you want in Nero Recode ?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

What new features do you want in Nero Recode ?

Postby Steve335 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:46 am

What new features/options do you want to see in Nero Recode ?

I want Nero Recode to have the option to convert a DVD video aspect from 4:3 to 16:9 (i.e. from Full screen to Widescreen).

Also, I want Nero Recode to have the feature to convert a DVD video from NTSC to PAL and vice versa.

I know NVE 3 has the above features but you have to create a new menu whereas I want to keep the original DVD menu. And NVE 3 cannot do compression like Nero Recode 2 can.

It would be great just to be able to compress and convert fullscreen NTSC DVD video to widescreen PAL, and vice versa, and keep the original DVD menu.

Also, in the future, I hope Nero Recode can up-convert standard DVD video to the new High Definition DVD video ! 8)
Steve335
Buffer Underrun

Postby Silentbob343 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:35 pm

Going from 4:3 to 16:9 would just be stretching the picture. 16:9 movies actually have more video and the sides are chopped to make them 4:3. You can't get back what was chopped when the orginal DVD was made.

Watch a regular 4:3 TV show on a widescreen TV and you'll see that it strecthes the picture to fit the screen. You eventually get used to the wider faces and longer cars.

Also, in the future, I hope Nero Recode can up-convert standard DVD video to the new High Definition DVD video !

Upconverting won't add anymore detail that wasn't availble when the DVD was mastered by the studio. DVDs are made with 480P in mind and upconverting them to 1080i/720P won't make them look like an HD signal. There are some DVD players on thew market that do this already. Samsung and Bravo both make one. While it helps fit a movie to a particular screen or if going to a plasma TV that has a native resolution, but most plasma TVs have built in hardware to convert the video to it's native res.

Example: If I take a VCD and convert the video to DVD-Mpeg2 it will fill up the screen, but I won't have any more detail added to the video. The colors won't be more vibrant it just fills up my screen better than the VCD. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. It will give a slight appearnce of smoother video due to the increase of resolution, but nothing has been added.

VCD: 352 x 240 pixels
DVD: 720 x 480 pixels
Silentbob343
CD-RW Player

Postby Steve335 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:43 pm

DVDLab pro has a feature to convert standard DVD video to HD-DVD. I don't, however, know how good it is. Anybody upconverted to HD-DVD ?

In Nero Vision Express the conversion from full screen to widescreen does not stretch the picture but simply adds black bars at either end of the picture to make it 16:9.
Steve335
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)