Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pioneer A07 or 107d firmware question

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer A07 or 107d firmware question

Postby hydrogen on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:46 pm

I'm using firmware 1.12 on my Pioneer A07. Besides adding support for new media, has the write quality improved on any media? If so, which ones? Which firmware is the best one? I was thinking about upgrading my firmware and I wanted to make sure which firmware was the best.
Last edited by hydrogen on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby falberni on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:24 pm

The answer to question depends on what kind of media you want to burn. If you want to use 8X media, then go straight to 1.21 official. If you want to use 4X media and burn at higher speeds, then use >NIL:'s 1.18 hacked firmware. I use it and I like it a lot. I use mediocare Memorex 4X (ProdiskS03) and burn them at 6X with excellent results.

I have always kept up to date with the latest firmwares and I'm sure with each new firmware there are improvements in the burn quality.
falberni
Buffer Underrun

Postby hydrogen on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:28 pm

Thanks for the response. I will probably have to go to the 1.21 firmware since all the 8x media is coming out. I was just burning 4x media. I stay away from hacked firmwares. I just use the official ones.

I just wish I had a list of what media has had their write quality improved since the 1.12 firmware? I think I remember in one of the firmwares that dolphin said that the +R 4x Ricoh media write quality got better, but I can't remember which one it was. I think I remember him saying one firmware was better for +R and one was better for -R. I'm not sure if that has changed. Hopefully he'll respond and let me know.

Sometimes newer firmware isn't better. That's why I'm trying to find out which one has the better write quality. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

The media I have right at this moment is 8x Ty dvd-r, 4x Maxell dvd-r, 4x Ricoh dvd+r, 8x Verbatim dvd+r, and 8x Memorex dvd-r. The Memorex is Cmc 8x.
Last edited by hydrogen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:58 pm

umm, unfortunately with the Christmas season and all, and other interesting events in my life, all I can tell you about 1.21 is that it burns Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs at 8x fairly ok.

For the record, it's REALLY hard to keep up to date on what every new firmware does to all 5 of the drives I actively keep tabs on (that I own). And in the next 30-45 days I'll probably be adding another 2 drives to that list. Not to mention the reviews I write for this and other webpages. Somewhere in there, I try to have a personal life too :wink:

However, once I'm done this current review (which will be soon!) I'll be going FULL tilt on burning testing for my own purposes, and updating my master list of things burner/media/quality related, and when I have stuff to report it will be available for all to see :D

Well, enough banter, I'm off to work :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:17 am

I hope your Christmas season is going great.

That's a lot of drives you have. I can't wait to see your master list. That will be awesome to see.

Do you remember which firmware made the Ricoh 4x dvd+r write quality better? I think you mentioned that in one of the firmwares that the write quality got better. I may be wrong though.

I'm not sure to go with 1.16, 1.18, 1.20, or 1.21. I'm not sure if anything has really changed. I don't do any testing, so for me it's hard to know which firmware produces better quality. I just go by if it the dvd works or not.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Noua on Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 am

You can always go to http://www.rpc1.com that you'll find there the changelog you need.
"We don't want to to put mankind on the moon but to bring mankind back to earth..."
Noua
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:13 pm

I just upgraded to the 1.18 firmware. It is suppose to read dvd+r dl. I used nero infotool and the latest dvdinfopro, and they say it doesn't support reading of dvd+r dl. It says I'm running the 1.18 firmware. So, are the programs not reporting it right?

Noua,

Thanks for the tip. I saw the change log that's on Pioneer's site. It doesn't say what medias write quality has improved.

Is the list at rpc1 different that Pioneer's? I could find the one on rpc1's web site.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:42 pm

DVD+R writability improved after firmware 1.14. I remember, because that's the last firmware before they screwed up support for Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs. So 1.16 I believe was the next released firmware, and that is when I noticed increased DVD+R support (and decreased DVD-R support).

Christmas is going well, however hectic... nothing unusual :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:05 pm

Thank you for the info. I'm glad your Christmas is going good.

Do you know anything about the 1.18 firmware not showing that it reads dvd+r dual layer with Nero Infotool and DvdInfoPro? When it came out, was it a known problem?

Brad
Last edited by hydrogen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:25 pm

hydrogen wrote:Thank you for the info. I'm glad your Christmas is going good.

Do you know anything about the 1.18 firmware not showing that it reads dvd+r dual layer with Nero Infotool and DvdInfoPro? When it came out was it a known problem?

Brad

It's not unusual for these things to not be reported properly. I'll see if I can pop a Verbatim DVD+R9 into my Pioneer tonight (if I remember) and check to make sure it does support the media now.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:44 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate it. If you get time, could you please let me know exactly what firmware that the Ricoh 4x +R media improved on, and is it still performing good since that firmware?
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:12 pm

hydrogen wrote:Thank you. I really appreciate it. If you get time, could you please let me know exactly what firmware that the Ricoh 4x +R media improved on, and is it still performing good since that firmware?

Yes, the Pioneer DVR-107 with firmware 1.21 CAN read DVD+R9 media.

Sorry, I don't have any time to check performance for that media... I have WAY too much stuff to do, and one of my new drives is probably coming in tomorrow :o

But trust me, if that code had been screwed up, you'd have heard about it by now, because it's such a popular code! (especially in Canada, according to Ritek USA)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:43 am

Thank you for letting me know about the 1.21 firmware. I wonder what's up with the 1.18 firmware. The change log says that it added the ability to read dvd+r dual layer discs. The applications doesn't show that.

I understand about you not having time to test the media. I was just hoping you remembered what firmware you said that the Ricoh 4x write quality got better in.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:38 am

hydrogen wrote:Thank you for letting me know about the 1.21 firmware. I wonder what's up with the 1.18 firmware. The change log says that it added the ability to read dvd+r dual layer discs. The applications doesn't show that.

I understand about you not having time to test the media. I was just hoping you remembered what firmware you said that the Ricoh 4x write quality got better in.

I already said that it improved starting with the first firmware after 1.14, which I believe is 1.16. It's a couple messages above :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:03 am

oops, I must have missed that message. Sorry about that. :)
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers