Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Acer Notebooks - Are they any good?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Acer Notebooks - Are they any good?

Postby dforion on Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:52 pm

Does anyone know of any reviews on the Acer TravelMate 4000 series

Any experienced or professional opinion of Acer Notebooks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave
Last edited by dforion on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dforion
Buffer Underrun

Postby kevincott on Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:31 pm

I have a 1.3 Centrino Travel Mate 290LMi with 512MB and a DVD-RW drive (very similar specs overall).

Battery life is great but top end games don't play with the 64MB shared video.

Mine has been utterly reliable, though I no longer use it much. My needs have changed.

Great notebook for professionals, in my opinion. Why spend more?
kevincott
CD-RW Thug

Postby Raz0rX on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:53 pm

I have bought the Acer Aspire 1680 (Centrino 1.5/512mb RAM/64mb Radeon 9700) 2 months ago and I am very pleased with it! I have a few P4 and A64 desktops and I have to say the 1680 isn't slow @ all. Before I bought my laptop, I thought I would be using it mainly for school PowerPoint presentations. However as of today, it never did leave my desk. It's plugged-in in my kitchen! I have been using it for Half Life 2 and Max Payne 2 and other games as well, hehe. In addition, I leave my laptop on 24/7, no heat problem or crashes as of yet.

Though one thing I am disappointed with it is its battery life. On a full charged battery, it would only last approx. 1 hour and 57 minutes. This thing drains A LOT of power.

This laptop is good looking; I like it afterall; it's a bit heavy but it has a big screen.

Acer technical support is good, I called them once; he was very helpful.
DJ Doboy

There are appoximately 5% male registered nurse in Canada as of 2001!
Raz0rX
CD-RW Player

Postby dforion on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:10 pm

Thanks to all. Very much appreciated!

I was curious about Acer's tech support. Their own sales dept told me waits on the 800 telephone line can be an hour long.

Dave
dforion
Buffer Underrun

Postby shaun on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:56 am

I was curious about Acer's tech support. Their own sales dept told me waits on the 800 telephone line can be an hour long.

Most Acer models are good little laptops (be wary of the ones on the low end of the scale) that give you good price/$ performance. Quality is good, and if you buy from an authorized dealer most of your tech support can be done from them. The best time to call Acer tech support is at the start of the business day..not the end (that's when it is usually busiest).

We have put 100s of these into circulation, usually with a mobile salesforce, and as a whole the stand up to the beating quite well.
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy"
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Return to The Beer Garden