Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New Years Resolutions (2005)

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

New Years Resolutions (2005)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:53 am

What are everyone's new years resolutions for 2005?

For me:

I'm going to work hard on spending more time with my G/F and less time working my ass off for my various projects.

I'm going to spend better time (less slacking) when I *AM* working on my various projects

I'm going to keep at least 1 day a week free for just doing things that I like, most of which will involve anime and manga (and my G/F).

I'm going to continue to grow and learn more about the optical media/drive industry, in the hopes of becoming an even better resource for people here, and on other forums

I'm going to Travel more! Starting with SakuraCon in Seattle come April 2005 :D At least one trip out of the country (Canada) a year.

I'm going to *TRY* to meet at least one member of this forum before the new year (so someone come meet me at SakuraCon!!)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby shaun on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:25 am

Great thread idea, DD!

For me:

I'm going to work hard on spending more time with my G/F and less time working my ass off for my various projects.

You can tell you're not married yet :) I am going to bury myself in my workshop and test optical hardware like mad to escape my wife's "honey to do" list :)

I'm going to spend better time (less slacking) when I *AM* working on my various projects

Great idea. I am going to steal this one from you. Guess Tetris will have to be erased off my harddrive..

We are going to try and travel west to see family in Nanimo and Duncan, so we might be knocking on your door DD! We can show each other our comic collections :)

I also would like to learn to clean up after myself, and put all my toys away (just like I tell the kids). It would be nice not to step on case screws in bare feet again ;)

[/quote]
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy"
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Spazmogen on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:47 am

Work less

Spend more time with the wife and kids.

Try and get to a Buffett concert (if he plays anywhere near me that is).

Drink more.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Re: New Years Resolutions (2005)

Postby Alejandra on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:39 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to Travel more! Starting with SakuraCon in Seattle come April 2005 :D At least one trip out of the country (Canada) a year.

I'm going to *TRY* to meet at least one member of this forum before the new year (so someone come meet me at SakuraCon!!)

Seattle sounds great, what is SarukaCon exactly? It sounds attractive also. :D
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:28 pm

shaun wrote:You can tell you're not married yet :) I am going to bury myself in my workshop and test optical hardware like mad to escape my wife's "honey to do" list :)

lucky you! i too would like to have an Optical Hardware Workshop to escape the ToDo list (both my wife's and my own :o )
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:40 pm

@Shaun:

Heh, yeah not married yet... maybe in a couple years :wink:

If you *do* come to BC, deffinately give me a heads up, and we'll get together :D

@Alejandra:

Info about SakuraCon can be found here:
http://www.sakuracon.org/index.php

I've never been there before, but it's one of the bigger anime conventions in North America, and an excellent place to spend all the money you have (and also the money you don't). I'll probably go there with MUCHO $$$ and leave with MUCHO anime :wink: (and MUCHO debt!)

@Dodecahedron:

My own room is starting to look more and more like "Dolphin Labs" and less and less like my bedroom :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:41 pm

Just one,

Not to fly Delta Airlines again.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:43 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to *TRY* to meet at least one member of this forum before the new year (so someone come meet me at SakuraCon!!)

God but I hope it isn't me. :P
Your weird enough already just over the Internet, thanks!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby MonteLDS on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:01 pm

maybe some of you people who have been here all year should see
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... esolutions
check out if you did any better...

1) Treat Jennifer Better
(i think i did this but a lot of times i think i could of done better)
2) Be more on top of my scripture studies
(still needs improvements)
3) Improve my IT business
(done)
4) and be adopted by UALOneKPlus so I can go to Europe! that sounds like so much fun. Can I take Jennifer with us dad
(never happen #-o )

Things I want to have done in 2004 are
Get Married (Didn't happen)
Get a Better DVD Burner (happend... )
Learn more Video Editing & Authoring software (Ummm not really)
Pay off my Car (ya.. i got that done a long while ago)
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby BoGMan1a on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:24 pm

I am slightly more traditional. I feel I need to lose 30 pounds over the next year. I also am gonna start working out a little so that I will be in decent enough shape to climb the pyramids in the Yucatan area when I go visit at Christmas. Hope everyone here has a great year and that the forum continues to be a nice place on the net to come visit and read some intelligent posts.
Main Computer:
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD Athlon XP2500
1Gb PC3200
6600GT AGP
BENQ 1620
NEC 3500AG
Lite-on 52246S
Lite-on LTC-48161H
1 Tb of internal HDD space
750+ Gb external storage
Dual Boot Win2000Pro/XP Home
BoGMan1a
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:50 pm

This "news" is about 10 days old- but the following is probably a candidate for the New Year's resolution with the fastest ever fulfillment date (not at SakuraCon though)
aviationwiz wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to *TRY* to meet at least one member of this forum before the new year (so someone come meet me at SakuraCon!!)

God but I hope it isn't me. :P
Your weird enough already just over the Internet, thanks!

He's a lot weirder in real life! Has smoke coming out of his ears and spinwheels on his eyes from reading DVD's. And that dorsal fin- ughh. :^o

dolphinius_rex in another thread wrote:MediumRare, *PLEASE* contact me! Let's get coffee together or something :D I'll even give you a nice media related christmas present :wink:

We did and he did. :D He's a **very** generous person.

We had a nice chat before his G/F rescued him from this old bore, but not before he passed over a cake box of mixed DVD-media that will suffer a fate worse than death- being processed by Lite On my burner. I'll report on any noteworthy tidbits that result as well as some other interesting results from this transatlantic Canuck Connection as they ripen.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Spazmogen on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:38 pm

OK.

Something bad is going on.

My wife actually got me to join a gym again and today I actually worked out.

Before long I'll be a gym freak. And spending less time sitting in front of a computer on my days off.

I also plan on dropping 37lbs by August 1st. That will get me back down to an even 200lbs.

Today consisted of a 1.5 mile run (in 15 minutes) and 15 minutes on the cross trainer.

Not bad for an old guy (37), who hasn't been into a gym in 6 years.

I plan on introducing some weights in the next few weeks. I don't want to kill myself...

I'd forgotten about how much eye candy there is in a co-ed gym. I may actually start to enjoy going and working out.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:59 pm

Instead of setting a goal for "lose X pounds" I evaluated what about my life keeps me from being at Y weight and made a resolution based on that: Eat less meat and processed heavy carbohydates. Move to a more vegetable centered meal with more natural starches.

I've got about three more things like this, but only Ian knows me and my family well enough to understand them.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:12 pm

JamieW wrote:Instead of setting a goal for "lose X pounds" I evaluated what about my life keeps me from being at Y weight and made a resolution based on that: Eat less meat and processed heavy carbohydates. Move to a more vegetable centered meal with more natural starches.

I've got about three more things like this, but only Ian knows me and my family well enough to understand them.

For me, I don't think of where I want to be in pounds at all... I think of it more in clothing sizes. I'm about 3 sizes above where I want to be right now, and when I reach my ideal clothing size comfortably, I'll be at my "target weight".

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:17 pm

I thought maybe I should update how some of this is going, now that we're in the 4th month of the year...

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to work hard on spending more time with my G/F and less time working my ass off for my various projects.

Yeah... not happening. I'm just doing more crazy projects and sleeping less. But I *AM* spending a little more time with my G/F, and never less time. So I'll call it a partial success.

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to spend better time (less slacking) when I *AM* working on my various projects

Hrm... I can't claim victory on that one either.

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to keep at least 1 day a week free for just doing things that I like, most of which will involve anime and manga (and my G/F).

Yup, Friday. Friday is my day, and it helps to keep me sane :D

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to continue to grow and learn more about the optical media/drive industry, in the hopes of becoming an even better resource for people here, and on other forums

I *HOPE* I'm succeeding in this, I just always feel I could be learning and doing more.

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm going to Travel more! Starting with SakuraCon in Seattle come April 2005 :D At least one trip out of the country (Canada) a year.

I'm leaving for Sakuracon in Seattle tomorrow, so it WILL be completed :wink:

Well, I met MediumRare (as mentioned before), so I've completed that one as well.

So I think I'm doing alright so far... I just need to spend less time slacking, and more time with my G/F :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:00 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Just one,

Not to fly Delta Airlines again.

So far so good, none of my scheduled flights are on Delta, :)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:57 am

Spazmogen wrote:Work less

Spend more time with the wife and kids.

Try and get to a Buffett concert (if he plays anywhere near me that is).

Drink more.

I am trying to work less..so I am seeing the wife & kids more.

I am going to a Buffett show in June.

I have a 60 of Margaritaville Tequila at home too.

Looks like I've met my target already.

oh yeah, I've lost 13 lbs too.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden