Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Burner for a PIII

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD Burner for a PIII

Postby grasshopper on Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this board and I did do a search on this, but the last posts were quite old (over a year), so please bear with me! :)

I have a PIII, 730MHz system with 512 ram running WinXP pro.

I would like to get a DVD burner for my system and was looking at the Plextor PX-716A, until I noticed the system specs. My system is significantly lower than their minimum requirements :(

Can you guys recommend a burner along the quality as the Plextor that might play nice with my aging system?

thanks for your time!

grasshopper :)
grasshopper
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:23 pm

What do you want to do with it? If you just want to burn data and the like, anything will work. The system specs have a lot to do with the video processing, not the actual process.

And some people here may take issue with your "burner along the quality of the Plextor" since they're having so many weird issues. ;) But you'd do fine with the Plextor, more than likely, as long as you don't need anything really processor-intensive like video editing or recoding.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Re: DVD Burner for a PIII

Postby spryfly on Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:29 pm

grasshopper wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this board and I did do a search on this, but the last posts were quite old (over a year), so please bear with me! :)

I have a PIII, 730MHz system with 512 ram running WinXP pro.

I would like to get a DVD burner for my system and was looking at the Plextor PX-716A, until I noticed the system specs. My system is significantly lower than their minimum requirements :(

Can you guys recommend a burner along the quality as the Plextor that might play nice with my aging system?

thanks for your time!

grasshopper :)

First off, I don't think that anyone would consider the 716a a quality burner at this point in time. Go with the benq 1620 it is the closest out there right now to the total package and your computer exceeds the system requirements.

justin 42....you beat me to the punch while I was looking up the sys req for the 1620... :D
"Why? Said the spry little fly."

Nec 3500 LD V2 B6 Quiet
Benq 1620 B7T9 Stock
Liteon 1633sx BS41 Patched for 12x DL Ripping
spryfly
CD-RW Player

Postby grasshopper on Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:23 am

Thanks for the info.

I was not aware that Plextor was having issues and have always heard they were quality drives. Guess I heard wrong?

In any case, I looked up the BenQ drive (1620) and only found a refurbished one at newegg.com, nothing at either amazon.com or ecost.com. Could it be known under another name?

No, I wasn't planning on shooting video, but I didin't want to exclude it in the future. I suppose with this system, I should exclude it! :wink:

any other suggestions?
grasshopper
Buffer Underrun

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:20 pm

you can get a BENQ 1620 from mwave.com
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ProdMM-DVDRW ... F+DVD%2DRW
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby spryfly on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:50 pm

grasshopper wrote:Thanks for the info.

I was not aware that Plextor was having issues and have always heard they were quality drives. Guess I heard wrong?

In any case, I looked up the BenQ drive (1620) and only found a refurbished one at newegg.com, nothing at either amazon.com or ecost.com. Could it be known under another name?

No, I wasn't planning on shooting video, but I didin't want to exclude it in the future. I suppose with this system, I should exclude it! :wink:

any other suggestions?

that's why it helps if you raed the other posts in the forum before making your own :wink:
"Why? Said the spry little fly."

Nec 3500 LD V2 B6 Quiet
Benq 1620 B7T9 Stock
Liteon 1633sx BS41 Patched for 12x DL Ripping
spryfly
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers