Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Wow Prodisc Verbatims

Burn baby burn!

Wow Prodisc Verbatims

Postby seaegg on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:48 pm

I bought a 50 spindle of Inkjet printable 52x Verbatim from London Drugs that are made Prodisc. Now this is a first for me.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby parcival on Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:22 pm

Today a 100 spindle arrived that i have bought in an on-line auction. The picture in the auction showed a taiyo yuden box, the box that arrived had the dreaded high rim of cmc magnetics corp. CDRid also said it are cmc disks.

The information on the label doesn't seem right. All it lists is verbatim, cd-r, 100 spindle, 52x 700mb, extra protection surface, made in china.
The reorder number is 43411 but this is for a 48x disk according to the verbatim site.

The underside is showing rings of newton which means at least one of the layers is not of a uniform thickness, a sign that in the past was an indicator of which disk would fail.

I can't notice anthing special about the surface, it's white expect for the markings verbatim etc where there is no coating on the silver layer (where's the extra protection promised on the box label?)

I've also seen these boxes in the mediamarkt shop in belgium @34€/100 (i paid 10€ less).

I feel #-o as i already have a box of 50 philips CMC disks laying about that i'm to afraid to use for anything worth keeping.
parcival
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:05 pm

I can't say anything about the quality because I've avoided them- but you may have paid too much for these. "Made in China" Verbatim's go at < 3€ for a mini cake box of 10 in a local store in Frankfurt (Saturn- a big chain).

I'd be cautious buying media in an auction. I've seen too many people here in the forum being burned. :x

BTW- my experience with Philips/CMC have not been encouraging either. :roll:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:23 am

Well only Verbatim pastel cd-r's are Taiyo Yuden.
And Datalife Plus should still mean made with MCC licensced AZO Technology.
The rest could have codes from any manufacturer from which MCC has done bussiness with.(CMC, MBIL, PRODISC)

CHINA => CMC.

I would return these since there looks to be a sing of vissible defects. (the rings.) or you could contact verbatim and see what you can work out with them. Most times Verbatim has quite good support.

Let me say this I won't use any Verbatim disc's which are not made with MCC technology or are made by TY because the others don't have a good reputation.

Reorder number you probally want is:43418 (that's the pastel version which so far allways has been TY)

For a good adress in Holland/Belgium check.:
www.cdrwinkel. com 24.90 euro /100 pieces. (price was lowered so I corrected it !)
Which seems to be one of the cheaper stores.
They can guarantee you that you will get Taiyo Yuden Verbatim disc's.
Price might be higher as you paid for these. But then again you have the guarantee that these are TY's. Also if you want CMC media then you can allways go for the cheaper Philips spindles at cdrwinkel for 25 pcs for 5 euro's)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives