Home News Reviews Forums Shop

In House Review - Sony DRU-710A Double Layer 16x DVD±RW

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby diskdocx on Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Interesting thread, especially the readability and firmware issues.

I have made a post about problems getting the speed to work properly, (can't burn above 2x), but I'm not convinced that is a problem with the drive.

From my experience, I have had excellent results with the burned discs. I have made +/-r and +/- rw dvds (as well as many cds) with no read problems. Even my picky RCA DVD player reads DVD-rw from this burner with no problems. Have also made game discs that play fine in both an Xbox and PS2. Now, nothing has been burned over 2x speed (mainly because I can't get anything to burn over 2x...), and media is usually good quality (Verbatim or Memorex). I have always been of the opinion that writing at the maximum speed is not the best idea if you want a good quality burn anyway.

As for the firmware, I did upgrade to BYX2 during the short time it was available. I have not switched to BY02. Is there a way to actually remove an upgrade (ie, could I go back to BY01 that shipped with the drive), or should I convert to BY02? Not going to be burning any DL DVD for the near future, nor any 12 or 16x dvd (especially since they won't burn faster than 2x anyway...)
diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Postby Lenonn on Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:03 pm

I was looking at user opinions on this at CNet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Internal_DVD_R_Double_Layer_DVD_RW_Drive___DRU_710A/4852-3212_7-30999960.html?tag=tab

Looks like the worst things are a bad drive and something about DL media suffering severed rot. I hadn't heard that one before (that the DL media is more prone to rot).
Lenonn
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:51 pm

diskdocx wrote:Is there a way to actually remove an upgrade (ie, could I go back to BY01 that shipped with the drive), or should I convert to BY02? Not going to be burning any DL DVD for the near future, nor any 12 or 16x dvd (especially since they won't burn faster than 2x anyway...)

Have a look at the codeguys' website: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

They have patched firmware (and the tools to patch your own) that will allow you to flash up, down and sideways between various firmware versions.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:29 pm

Lenonn wrote:Looks like the worst things are a bad drive and something about DL media suffering severed rot. I hadn't heard that one before (that the DL media is more prone to rot).

Considering the guy also said the DRU-710A was the "most reliable of the 3 dvd drive I have, not to mention the media for it is widespread"... I wouldn't take his comment about "rot" seriously.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Previous

Return to DVD Writers