Home News Reviews Forums Shop

having problems making copies from LiteOn 5005 recorder ..

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

having problems making copies from LiteOn 5005 recorder ..

Postby coadman on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:10 pm

Mod, please place this in the appropriate forum, if this is not correct. I recently purchased the LiteOn LDW 5005 recorder. I have a Panasonic PV-GS120 camcorder I have been taping basketball games with. I have no problems copying my game tapes over to the 5005. But, I thought I would make some additional copies for some of the players, and figured I could use DVD shrink with my computer to make the copies as well as the LDW5005, again. I have a LiteOn 411s that I place my copied DVD into, and when starting to use DVD shrink, I received this error. "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue; Invalid DVD navigation structure" I am using RIDATA 8x DVD+R discs. I thought, hmm,,,lets try DVD decrypter by itself, picked the read iso protocol, and it filled the buffer, but then the program "stopped", stalled my computer, and I had to do a hard reboot to get going again. Any ideas? Can DVD's made with the LDW5005 not be copied elsewhere?(and yes, I did finalize the disc upon completion), or is it, perhaps the media Im using? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:43 pm

Ridata = Ritek, not always a very good brand.
try other media.
made in Japan if you can get it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

LiteOn 5005 and DVD shrink

Postby navio on Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:19 am

Hello "coadman"
"dodecahedron" might be right and your problem might be in the type of media you're using, though most likely not.
I've encountered the same problem trying to re-author something originaly recorded on LiteOn5005 (and I was working from file [disc recorded in LiteOn copied via DVDdecrypter]!!). I don't know which Shrink you're using, mine is the last one from the summer 2004 (3.2).
It seems to be caused by LiteOn creating slightly "odd" structure on the disc - or maybe it's the bug in the "Shrink" - anyway - in case you have Nero Ultra, just use Nero Recode (it's basically the same thing as "Shrink", most likely written by the same person), which has no problem reading structure created by LiteOn5005, just don't get surprised to see some titles listed twice (that occasionaly happens, just chose one of them).
Sincerely
navio (Jan 24, 2005)
navio
Buffer Underrun

Little Ad-On

Postby navio on Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:28 am

Oh - and one more thing:
Try to read that disc (created in LiteOn5005) in DVD decrypter via "File Method" (not ISO) and just to see if it's a problem with the disc itself - try to look at it in the "Windows Explorer" - my experience has been that if it's a really bad disc it's usually very hard to read just through the "Windows" (in that particular drive).

navio (Jan 2005)
navio
Buffer Underrun

Postby lero05 on Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:28 pm

I just bought my father the Lite ON 5005 for chistmas. he is having problems playing DVDs that he records(either + or -) on any other regular DVD player. He swears he is finalizing them. IS there something eles he needs to do? He can play them back on the liteon, but not on his sony player, or any of his friends players. Please give me some ideas or advise. I am not to suave on new technology, but I wanted to get him a good DVD recorder that was usuable and that he could archieve old family video to. Thank you for any advice or help you may have.
lero05
Buffer Underrun

Postby HotBlack on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:15 pm

"He can play them back on the liteon, but not on his sony player, or any of his friends players"

Having a JVC DRM10Sl myself I think I know the problem, not sure though that your dads Liteon works the same way.

On the JVC there are two modes "VR" and Video Mode", Video mode is to make the discs playable on other units than the recorder.
Use a RW disc for this.
You have to format the disc first in the recorder to "Video Mode" and after your tape is recorded on the disc finalize the disc.
Then you are able to do a copy in Nero or other program to a R disc, I always makes two discs, one for watching and one I put in a dark safe place for backup.

Hope this helps!
HotBlack
Buffer Underrun

Postby lero05 on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:35 pm

thanks for the hint! next time i'm home i'll look into that. I hope it is something that simple!
lero05
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers