Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Selecting LOWER burn speed for DVD using Nero v6.3

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Selecting LOWER burn speed for DVD using Nero v6.3

Postby diskdocx on Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:34 pm

I have a SonyDRU 710A, and a bunch of 4 and 8x DVD media. Is there any way to select a slower burn speed? For example, when I put in a blank 4x DVD, there is no option to burn at any speed other than 4x (the box is greyed out at 4x). But the media should be able to be burned at 1, 2 or 4x?

Most of the time I would want 4x, but occasionally if I am burning a disc that I know will need to be read on a picky DVD player, I would rather burn slower to decrease errors. Any way to enable this?

diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Postby VideoRoy on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:13 pm

I have the same drive and I am able to do this without any problem. I have done this with 6.6.0.3 and 6.6.0.5 but I did not try it with earlier versions so I am not sure where it is a function of the version of Nero or the media that you are using.

I have noticed that some media that I have such as some 4x HP (Philips) DVD+RW will only let me burn at 4x and not 1x, 2x, 2.4x, etc.

The media I have sucessfully burned at 4x, 6x & 8x is Verbatim 8x DVD-R.
VideoRoy
CD-RW Player

Postby VideoRoy on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Oh and I am using the BY02 firmware.
VideoRoy
CD-RW Player

Re: Selecting LOWER burn speed for DVD using Nero v6.3

Postby MediumRare on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:18 am

diskdocx wrote:I have a SonyDRU 710A, and a bunch of 4 and 8x DVD media. Is there any way to select a slower burn speed? For example, when I put in a blank 4x DVD, there is no option to burn at any speed other than 4x (the box is greyed out at 4x). But the media should be able to be burned at 1, 2 or 4x?

If you're not aware of the codeguys' website, you should have a look there. They have a large number of tools for LiteOn and derived drives (like your Sony). Their Omnipatcher has a report button that checks the burning strategies implemented in the firmware (you will need it as a file), including the burníng speed(s) allowed.

Your drive will not burn DVD+R or +RW media at less than 4x unless the maximum speed is 2.4x. A 1x-option is not available for +R(W). Similarly, DVD-R(W) start at 4x unless limited to 2x or 1x (-RW). (This is common to all LiteOn and Sony firmwares I've looked at).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby diskdocx on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:40 am

When you say unless limited to 1x or 2x, I assume you mean unless the burner being used cannot exceed these speeds (as was the case with my old Sony DRU500a)?

So with 8x media, I should be able to choose either 4x or 8x (I will need to get more 8x media to verify this)?

When the drive lists speeds for DVD-r from 1x-12x, that means it will burn old media which is 1 or 2x speed, but you're saying that for 4x media and up, the minimum speed on this burner is 4x, correct?

Thanks.
diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:12 pm

diskdocx wrote:When you say unless limited to 1x or 2x, I assume you mean unless the burner being used cannot exceed these speeds (as was the case with my old Sony DRU500a)?

No- actually I mean the limit in the firmware. The DRU500a will have different burning strategies implemented. Usually it's old media that is limited to 1x or 2x in newer drives.
diskdocx wrote:So with 8x media, I should be able to choose either 4x or 8x (I will need to get more 8x media to verify this)?

Yes. Normally you should have a 6x option as well.
diskdocx wrote:When the drive lists speeds for DVD-r from 1x-12x, that means it will burn old media which is 1 or 2x speed, but you're saying that for 4x media and up, the minimum speed on this burner is 4x, correct?

Pretty well, yes.
I'm basing my statements on the information in the firmware as reported by Omnipatcher. These are the speeds reported by Nero and other burning or diagnostic software (CD-DVD-Speed, KProbe2 or DVD Identifier).

If you want it, I can mail/PM you the Omnipatcher media code report for the BY02 firmware (BY01 has fewer media codes and differs in the max. speed for some newer media types). It's ca. 300 lines long and posting it isn't really of general interest because anyone can generate it using the codeguys' tools.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby diskdocx on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks for the info. I will try out the omnipatcher. I had assumed it was the burner, as DiscJuggler also limits the burn speed to 4x or above.

Still seems a bit weird that there is no option to burn at a slower speed. I have always assumed that burning at the maximum branded speed for any given media was not the best idea if you wanted to limit errors. So far I haven't had any problems burning decent media, but I have found 4 and 8x to produce unacceptable error rates on cheap media...
diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:38 pm

It's just going to get worse. Some new DVD Recordres on the market will not allow burns lower than 4x speeds, and there may be one coming out soon that will only allow 8x speed as the lowest write speed.

Be sure to check with your recorder MFG before purchasing a drive, or after you have purchased it for what write speeds are supported.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)