Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Dual Layer Media Availability

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Dual Layer Media Availability

Postby X-Nemesis on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:43 am

Year or Two before we see DL availability and pricing like SL media???
X-Nemesis
CD-RW Thug

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:12 am

Like rewritable media, DL will never quite reach the same price as SL media. Expect to see it for less than $5 later this year though.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby VEFF on Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:59 am

If DL media prices take that long to drop such a small amount, I doubt the sales quantity will be enough for manufacturers to make any meaningful profit on them, unless there is some buying going on that I am unaware of (e.g. large corporations or other non traditional consumer-level buyers).

By the way, just to be clear, I am NOT disputing your claim about the timeframe. :)
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:16 pm

Availability is just as good - www.amazon.de ships Verbatim DL media within 24 hours :)
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:22 pm

VEFF wrote:If DL media prices take that long to drop such a small amount, I doubt the sales quantity will be enough for manufacturers to make any meaningful profit on them, unless there is some buying going on that I am unaware of (e.g. large corporations or other non traditional consumer-level buyers).

By the way, just to be clear, I am NOT disputing your claim about the timeframe. :)

fyi: There is some buying going on that you're not aware of :wink:

still, overall sales volume of dual layer is very low compared to single layer, but the profit has been there, at least for Verbatim/CMC. Ritek had to scrap so much of their media to begin with that they probably are struggling quite a bit! But when Ritek scraps their media, I really should be saying "scraps" because it always seems to find its' way into the open market again :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:55 pm

Hmm it seems that Ritek seems to be able to lower there prices and improve there qualoty. Also there media is slowly getting some form of support.
So I think ritek might have found something. Normal price for Ritek dual Layer media is getting arround 5 euro a piece in europe.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:57 pm

Which is far too much, considering that Ricoh is about 6 Euro and Verbatim (works at 6x speed) 7 Euro
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:22 pm

RJW wrote:Hmm it seems that Ritek seems to be able to lower there prices and improve there qualoty. Also there media is slowly getting some form of support.
So I think ritek might have found something. Normal price for Ritek dual Layer media is getting arround 5 euro a piece in europe.

Well, I'm sure they've fixed a lot of their problems from the beginning now...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:49 am

Ritek can also be found for 4 euro's. With normal price I mean I go out to the average store and can get it at that price. For Ricoh media this still is arround 7 euro's.

Also keep in mind that Ricoh is just as problematic as Ritek at this time.
Still it's true that Ricoh will probally better supported and that the issue will be fixed faster as with Ritek media.

I know a lot of compannies say we support ricoh media. But they also say we don't support inversed stack media. Now all retail media from ricoh is manufacturerd with inversed stack methode. Only R&D media was made with the other proces.
The claims of the drive manufacturers that they support ricoh is bulshit.
Still there are some odd ones. Plextor says they don't support inversed stack media at this time but the 1.03 and higher firmwares can actually burn the ricoh disc's. With ok. Quality not good like MCC. Then again this drive can burn ritek also ok.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:19 pm

Ricoh is problematic due to bad firmware support by older doublelayer writers, Ritek is problematic for its "quality"
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby Ankerson on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:40 pm

I wish the DL media would hurry up and drop, that would be nice. :)
Plextor 40x CDRW
Plextor 24x CDRW
Plextor PX-716A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW
Pioneer DVR A05 4x DVDR RW
LG 16x CDRW
Sony 24x CDRW/DVD Combo (Laptop)
Asus E616P2 DVDROM

Super Moderator @ Hardware Central

Moderator @ H-kon.net
Ankerson
CD-RW Thug

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Quality is not the real issue with Ritek. (at least with the current batches.)
It's more support.
Quite some drives do not support this media and for some others who say that the media works in there drives it's just a joke.

While we know that japanese compannies are lazy when it comes to support of non japanese media.
We also know how Ritek does busines.
In other words if Ritek had done there work better in the early days then we now had some good dual layer media for something of 4 euro a piece.
However now that they spoilt the market it will take up to months just like befor it actually works like it should had from the begining.

However it seems that Ritek slowly has learned from there mistakes (8x DVD+R, 8x DVD-R, 16x DVD+R and 2.4x DUAL LAYER)
The current 16x DVD-R media hasn't hit the streets. It has however showed up at the drive manufacturers and is allready supported by quite some drives.

As for the ricoh disc's quite some compannies are busy with adding support for these in there next firmwares or tweaking it's performance for better results.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:14 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ritek has to offer for their 16x DVD-Rs :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby tigen on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:48 am

I think DL prices need to be $2-3 before I'd buy many of them. I wonder how things will look at the end of the year with Blu-ray coming into the picture. I expect those discs to be expensive, but on a per-gigabyte basis I can't imagine it can stay very high for long. Why should pieces of plastic have a cost per gigabyte more than hard drives?
tigen
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 am

Blu Ray needs quite some investments in product line which will lead to higher prices again since the manufacturers want there investments as soon as possible back.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:11 pm

Most companies already know that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will not be ready for the consumer market by the end of the year. Both Maxell and Verbatim have pretty much said this already. The format will be strictly business and professional use only probably for a year or so, before things start coming down in price.

So get used to DVDs, because they aren't going to be thrown out as quickly as some would think :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:57 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what Ritek has to offer for their 16x DVD-Rs :D

CMC OEM discs ;). Those crazy Singaporeans over @ HardwareZone got their hands on them (Ricoh).
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:00 am

Bhairav wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what Ritek has to offer for their 16x DVD-Rs :D

CMC OEM discs ;). Those crazy Singaporeans over @ HardwareZone got their hands on them (Ricoh).

Umm, back up a second here... are you telling me that Ritek is using a CMC OEM with a ricoh code for their 16x DVD-Rs?

Actually, given what I already know about this media, it could be possible, but I wouldn't have guessed it! :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:30 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Bhairav wrote:

Umm, back up a second here... are you telling me that Ritek is using a CMC OEM with a ricoh code for their 16x DVD-Rs?

Actually, given what I already know about this media, it could be possible, but I wouldn't have guessed it! :o

Sorry.. shoulda made that clearer. *Ricoh* are using a CMC code for their 16X -R discs, NOT Ritek. My bad.. I went back and read that thread again.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:50 am

Bhairav wrote:
Sorry.. shoulda made that clearer. *Ricoh* are using a CMC code for their 16X -R discs, NOT Ritek. My bad.. I went back and read that thread again.

Hrm... interesting....

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers