Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pioneer 105D now rcognised as 106D and fails to copy DVD

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer 105D now rcognised as 106D and fails to copy DVD

Postby Tunny on Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:30 am

Hi,
I flashed my firmware on my Pioneer 105D quite a while ago and it has been running OK, but I just upgraded Nero from 6.3.0.16 to 6.6 before realizing they aren't compatible so uninstalled and reinstalled 6.3.0.16 now this has been running OK burning CDs with my LiteOn. I hadn't used the Pioneer until a friend said his Pioneer 105D was being recognized as a 106D in Windows (he had just reinstalled WindowsXP with SP1 and Nero 6.3.0.25) When I checked mine it also is recognized as a 106D. He said his will not copy DVDs now, I tried mine and even even copying to hard drive, it fails when copying a non copy protected DVD to DVD or hard drive. It starts copying it then after a few minutes the speed starts to flustuate then starts dropping down and then fails. Now it's possible mine was done by my firmware update but he hasn't altered his firmware and Pioneer say this is the only way that Windows could recognise it has a 106D. So what has gone wrong and how can we fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
CU L8er,

Tunny
Tunny
Buffer Underrun

Postby Noua on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:03 am

Are you talking about pioneer dvr-105 and dvr-106? S you're reporting a DVD burning issue, am I right?
"We don't want to to put mankind on the moon but to bring mankind back to earth..."
Noua
CD-RW Player

Postby Tunny on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:35 pm

Hi Noua,
It is a Pioneer 105D recognised now as a Pioneer 106D. It isn't just Windows reporting it as a 106d the program chkrw reports as a 106d as well.
It has a writing problem as well, it reports a calibration error when I try to burn a disc. I was wondering if this could be a UDMA problem (the not burning disc one that is). It had been burning OK upto about 2 weeks ago, even when burning 2 copies of the same disc at the same time e.g. a cd in my LiteOn CD-RW and a cd in the Pioneer, and then it failed to burn the one in the Pioneer. Maybe this problem is due to me flashing it. The firmware version is 1.08 it wasn't a manufacturers firmware update, but I forget who's it was. I thought I was sure I'd picked the correct one. but when I looked on CDFreaks site the other day, I found one to return a 105 back to the original firmware but when I read the readme it was for a 106!!! so that had me thinking I could have used a wrong firmware update. Although with the one I used, the readme said it wouldn't install on the wrong writer.
There was also the copying DVD problem I mentioned in my previous mail, I couldn't get as far as writing to the DVD as it failed making the image.
CU L8er,

Tunny
Tunny
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:18 pm

moved to DVD Recordable forum
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Noua on Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:58 pm

You should try to flash back an original firmware for 105. You'll probably have to use DVRFlash.

Try that and then report back, please.
"We don't want to to put mankind on the moon but to bring mankind back to earth..."
Noua
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:10 pm

You say that your drive was a "105D" yet there is no such model. You've messed up on at least one character in the name. Either it was a DVR-105 or it was a DVR-106D. I'd bet that it has always been a DVR-106D and maybe you just expected to be sent a DVR-105 but received a DVR-106D for some reason and never noticed. If you tried to flash the drive with an official DVR-105 firmware updatte, then maybe you saw the message "0 Drives have been updated successfully" and read it too quickly and missed the fact that the drive was never flashed.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers