Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero MPEG4 decoding pop up box

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero MPEG4 decoding pop up box

Postby Jim on Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:07 pm

I recently bit the bullet and purchased Nero v6, actually 6.6.0.3 via the web because my new Pioneer DVR-108 was not supported by Nero 5. I installed both packages 1 and 2. When I try to view a MPEG4 (.MP4) file I was sent a pop up box from Nero showtime comes up saying, "Due to patent license restrictions, MPEG 4 decoding is not available. This feature can be added by installing the Nero 6 Ultra Edition retail package or the Web version."

I installed the web release of Nero and used my key. Shouldn't my package be able to decode MPEG 4? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Jim
CD-RW Player

Yup

Postby isepiq on Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:48 am

Yup, me too. Bought a brand new v6.6 ultra retail and get the same message everytime I try to play an avi file, that I need to buy a retail copy to play mpeg4 files, ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!!!

Everything else works fine, no other problems for me. Just this ONE.

I hope there is a FIX for this incredibly dumb bug???????!!!!!!!!!!!
isepiq
Buffer Underrun

Postby Jim on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:04 pm

I got tired of researching it and went back to using WMP with a free codec.
Jim
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:16 pm

If you have purchased a Retail version of Nero 6.6, then you have purchased the right to Play MP4 files, and create MP4 audio and Video files using the Nero 6.6 software.

I would recommend that you do a full uninstall of our Nero software using the General Clean tool. Then download Package 1 and 2 from our website and install on a fresh system using your Nero 6.6 Retail serial key.

Hi Isepiq,

Your posting said that you get this error message when trying to play an AVI file, which has nothing to do with MP4, unless of course it was a DivX MP4 file that has an AVI extension.

But the same solution should work for you as well.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby dir_wolf on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Cure. The DIVX codex supplied with Nero do not seem to be working correctly. In order to make this software work properly, you must download the NEW DIVX codec’s at divx.com.

Also, Nero software seems to remember the file names that did not work correctly. After installing the new codex’s, change the file name slightly in order to stop Nero from rejecting it.

[-X
dir_wolf
Buffer Underrun

Postby ruderacer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:28 am

I just bought a Plextor PX-M402U Convert X Digital Video Converter, which is DIVX certified. Will I be able to use Nero 6606 to capture video if I want to use DIVX, MPEG4 or will I get stuck using the software included (InterVideo's WINDVD Creator 2)?

I've yet to update to 6606; I'm still running 6603.

Am I going to have to download the new DIVX codec when I install ver. 6606?

RR
"It's the voyage that counts, not the totality of life".

Every Saint has a Past! Every Sinner has a Future!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:37 pm

Nero Vision Express does not yet support the Plextor Capture Devices. We are working on this. We need Plextors SDK to support it's devices, and so it requires more work than most capture devices to be supported.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. How long do think it will take for this to happen? Or will it ever happen? Thanks RR

ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:41 pm

Not clear as to how long yet.

There are a number of capture cards that do not have their on MPEG-2 encoding that we still do not yet support, and should be supporting very soon. We are already past the originally set deadline by our Engineers. Apparenlty a 'problem' or 'stumbling block' was found and they are working to address this before they can release support for a number of capture cards. Not sure if this is one of them or not, as the Plextor Capture device has the added obstical of having its own MPEG2 hardware encoder. But we are working on it of course.

As soon as I know more, i will post it here.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:50 pm

Once again, thank you for your quick reply and your interest in helping all out.

Can you recommend a capture device that works well with Nero? The reason I purchased the Plextor was because of the MPEG4 and DIVX. I still have a little time and can return the Plextor. If possible, a recommendation would be greatly appreciated. TIA

RR

ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi Ruderacer,

You can find a list of capture cards that we have tested and confirmed are supported on our website, using the below link.

http://www.nero.com/us/capture_devices.php

This is not by any means the only devices we support, just the devices we've been able to test and confirm supported. None of these have the hardware converting the captured content to MPEG-2. If you know that your end result will be MPEG-4, you really do not want a capture device that will automatically convert the captured content to MPEG-2.

We support any capture card that is 'DirectShow' compatible.

And soon, though not soon enough, we will grow this list for support of additional capture devices.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm

Thank you very much.

RR

ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)