Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problems w/ DVD Shrink and DVR-A09XL and Nero

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Problems w/ DVD Shrink and DVR-A09XL and Nero

Postby ruderacer on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:23 am

I bought the movie, "The Bourne Supremacy", and wanted to make a back-up copy for me using DVD Shrink. When I insert the movie in the Pio and open Shrink, click on open disc, then go to back-up, I get an error message. I experienced the same thing with "The Bourne Identity". Basically I Re-authored the Identity and burned without any issues and it plays fine on the computer and on my Toshiba player. I went about the same process for Supremacy to find out that when it comes to the screen to choose play, scenes, etc., it won't allow you to play the movie. The menus are there but non functional. It does give a warning that due to the parental settings the movie won't play. The settings are unlimited.

I inserted the DVD back and opened Shrink and the movie is in the DVD and you can play the movie in the small screen in Shrink. What's up? I don't know. I burned the Identity using the same steps and no problems. Any ideas?

All help welcomed. TIA

RR
"It's the voyage that counts, not the totality of life".

Every Saint has a Past! Every Sinner has a Future!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:45 am

try using DVD DECRYPTER to rip to your hard drive first before using DVD SHRINK.
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I still would like to figure out what's going on. Could the problem be in the Re-authoring?

ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby ETP on Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:56 am

Some of the newer movies may have menu encryption. I would use decrypter if needed, but would try to shrink out the intro and credits and see what you get.
Never drag more than one title or any menu folders in reauthor. Title I only and 5.1 audio only and sometimes Title 2 will be the directors cut.

PS/I can't remember but there are several movies out there that Decrypter 3.5.2 is your only option. Use it and then open the file in shrink.
Last edited by ETP on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
Two Dell 8400s & 9100 with SATA HDs
ETP
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:48 am

I did the Supremacy with Shrink, but I can't remember any specifics. I'm sure I probly used Decryptor and then re-authored for main title only. I seem to recall that Supremecy is protected with bad sectors, so you might see some errors during the rip, but just let it run.
Current drives running here: ND-2500A, ND-3500A, ND-3520A,
LTR-52327S, SOHW-1633S, SOHR-52A8S
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:58 pm

rd,

Yes, you are correct about just letting it burn. The problem was that I was using the Pioneer DVR-A09XL and it would allow me to go no further than the error message. The error message would pop up and stop Shrink from running. My friend's old Mashushita (sp.) burned the movie without any problems (except for the beginning, the guy running in place). So, I got tired of messing with it, and went back to BB and returned the Pioneer and got the Plextor 716A. Installed it, then tried to back-up and I got the runner at the beginning of movie, kind of running in place and after a couple of minutes continued to rip without any problems and the movie plays fine. Thank you all for the help.

I'm glad I exchanged the Pioneer for the Plextor.

ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:52 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:try using DVD DECRYPTER to rip to your hard drive first before using DVD SHRINK.

file mode or ISO mode ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby ETP on Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:42 am

I use file mode! But I think tou can use either.

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
ETP
CD-RW Player

Postby ETP on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:24 am

File/

http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=7984

http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showforum=4

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/guides.

Decrypter guide

This is one good path to follow if you don't have any DVD software utilities at all.

Updated: 8th August 2004 (based on hembo's guide)
Scope of this guide: To copy any DVD9 to one DVD±R(W) with all the contents or the 'main movie' only.
Hard disc space needed: 20 Gbyte when backing up a movie on 1 DVD9.

Tools used:
DVD Decrypter 3.2.2.3
DVD Shink 3.2 (note: if your drive is not NTFS you must use 3.2 or later)
Download and install both of the above.
Setting up DVD Shrink:
Click on the Edit menu and then on Preferences...
In the DVD Shrink Preferences window which opens, click on the File I/O tab
As this guide only uses freeware, make sure that the Enable burning with Nero option is UNCHECKED

Click the OK button

Ripping:
Start DVD Decrypter
Ensure you're in 'File' mode by pressing the 'F' key or selecting it via the 'Mode' option in the menu at the top
If, for some reason, all files are not selected, press to select ALL the files
Make a note of the destination folder, for example 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS'

Click the [DVD-image] button to start DVD Decrypter, this will take anything from 10 minutes and up, depending on your computer and DVD drive speed

When it is finished, close DVD Decrypter

Re-authoring / Shrinking:
Start DVD Shrink
Click the [OPEN FILES] button on the main toolbar
Navigate to C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS, select VIDEO_TS.IFO and click [OPEN], this will take a few minutes while DVD shrink analyzes the DVD.

When the analysis has finished, you will see the entire structure of the decrypted DVD files.

Jump to step 16 to backup the entire DVD, (like an episodic or series DVD like Friends or Simpsons), instead of just the 'main movie', and then adjust the compression for the extras and menus in order to leave more room for the main title.

Click the [RE-AUTHOR] button on the main toolbar and the DVD Browser tab should be active; if not, click on it
Click and hold on 'Title 1' and drag it to the left-hand pane, under DVD

If your movie is greater than 4.35GB then the movie is automatically compressed as you can see if you click on the 'Compression Settings' tab. Here you can deselect audio tracks and subtitles you don't want in order to minimize the compression of the video.

Insert a blank DVD±R(W) into your DVD-burner
Click the [BACKUP] button on the main toolbar
Select ISO Image file and burn with DVD Decrypter as your target device

Select an appropriate target file/folder for DVD Shrink to output to, for example 'C:\NEW_DVD.ISO'
If your movie is greater than 4.35GB, then you can CHECK the 'Perform deep analysis' option on the Quality Settings tab to enhance the video quality. If it's not, there's no need to compress and you can't select that option.

Click [OK]. If your movie is greater than 4.35GB it will take about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the length of the movie, and the complexity of the mpeg. Otherwise it will only take a few minutes.
Once DVD Shrink has finished reauthoring and/or compressing, DVD Decrypter will automatically launch and burn the image to DVD without any user intervention
When you have checked and are happy with the new DVD, you can delete the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD' folder, the 'C:\NEW_DVD' folder (if it exists) and the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD.ISO' file
Enjoy your movie

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX