LightScribe Preview @ ExtremeMhz

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Finally, a decent look at LightScribe technology:

http://www.extrememhz.com/lightscribe-p1.shtml
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Cool, my cousin just got a new HP Computer since his Dell kicked the bucket, and it came with a LightScribe drive. I should go over and check it out.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:46 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Cool, my cousin just got a new HP Computer since his Dell kicked the bucket, and it came with a LightScribe drive. I should go over and check it out.

what do you mean 'check it out' ?
you should cannibalize his computer.
rip it out and give him a BenQ or a NEC instead! :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:17 am

Judging by the picture at ExtremeMhz, the HP is a rebadged BenQ.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:44 am

Ian wrote:Judging by the picture at ExtremeMhz, the HP is a rebadged BenQ.

yeah, the faceplate looks a lot like a OEM DW1620
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

it's a LiteOn

Postby MediumRare on Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:04 am

The latest c't (5/05) has a short report on Lightscribe and the HP drive. The DVD640i is made by LiteOn. A retail version is planned for March (99 Euros). They apparently did some tests with one. Reported results with Verbatim media: nogo on DL, OK with 16x DVD+R. The drive rejects more copy protected audio discs than the curerent LiteOn model.

Media prices are double normal ones: Verbatim CDR 11 Euro/10, HP 8x +R 9€ /5. Memorex and Imation are also planning media.

Further LightScribe drives in the works: BenQ DW1625 (119 €), Philips DVDR16SLK (119 €), Toshiba TS-L532L.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Re: it's a LiteOn

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:28 am

MediumRare wrote:The latest c't (5/05) has a short report on Lightscribe and the HP drive. The DVD640i is made by LiteOn. A retail version is planned for March (99 Euros). They apparently did some tests with one. Reported results with Verbatim media: nogo on DL, OK with 16x DVD+R. The drive rejects more copy protected audio discs than the curerent LiteOn model.

Yeah, HP is using BenQ and Lite-On for their LightScribe drives... but that one at ExtremeMhz is not a Lite-On.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:30 am

Ah here we go:

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20050120A7036.html

Hewlett-Packard (HP) has selected Lite-On IT and BenQ to be OEMs for its 16x DVD Dual burners equipped with LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling technology (software), with Lite-On IT responsible for external models for retail sale and BenQ for internal models for installation in PCs, according to other Taiwan makers of optical disc drives (ODDs).
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:18 pm

Ian wrote:Ah here we go:

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20050120A7036.html

Hewlett-Packard (HP) has selected Lite-On IT and BenQ to be OEMs for its 16x DVD Dual burners equipped with LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling technology (software), with Lite-On IT responsible for external models for retail sale and BenQ for internal models for installation in PCs, according to other Taiwan makers of optical disc drives (ODDs).

OK- that's good to know- although c't did show an internal drive, it looked a bit different than the one at ExtremMHz. . But why do they sell 2 different drives under the same model name? :roll: I think I'd sooner have a BenQ/Philips than a LiteOn at the moment.

Personally, I don't think that LightScribe is such a great deal- monochrome and slow. It's mostly the "new toy" appeal that's making waves. I'll stick with ink-jet printable media (cheaper and faster) and my Canon i865 (European model, prints to CDs/DVDs).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:54 pm

Don't let the monochrome fool you, it still looks *VERY* good in person.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby thegdog on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:02 pm

MediumRare wrote:OK- that's good to know- although c't did show an internal drive, it looked a bit different than the one at ExtremMHz. . But why do they sell 2 different drives under the same model name? :roll: I think I'd sooner have a BenQ/Philips than a LiteOn at the moment.

HP is currently using dvd writer 640b in their Lightscribe-compatible home systems. This is the one that apparently is a BenQ/Philips drive.

The dvd writer 640i (probably their retail version) appears to be the Lite-On drive.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:05 pm

Ian wrote:Yeah, HP is using BenQ and Lite-On for their LightScribe drives... but that one at ExtremeMhz is not a Lite-On.

Yeah, their picture looks exactly like the 640b that is sitting in the HP machine I got not too long ago.

The dvd writer 640i actually says "640i" on the front, whereas the 640b just says "640". Well, at least according to what I have seen of the drive I have and the press material HP/Lite-On have released about the 640i. Which I know means nothing. :)
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:33 pm

thegdog wrote:Yeah, their picture looks exactly like the 640b that is sitting in the HP machine I got not too long ago.

Huh, I thought you wrote in your thread @cdfreaks that your drive looked exactly like the picture @HP.com which is a picture of a Lite-On. The drive ExtremeMhz tested is a 640c which is a BenQ so how can your drive look exactly like both the Lite-On and the BenQ? Maybe it doesn't look exactly like any of them? Because I would guess that the 640b is a LG drive based on HP's naming scheme and the firmware version (E152). It would be nice to see a photo of your drive though but if you don't have any digital camera can you just check if the emergency eject hole on your drive is to the left, exactly in the middle or slightly to the right?
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:55 pm

jsl wrote:Huh, I thought you wrote in your thread @cdfreaks that your drive looked exactly like the picture @HP.com which is a picture of a Lite-On. Maybe it doesn't look exactly like any of them?

I had been looking at the logos on the drive tray, not the eject hole/drive light which was pointed out after I posted my comment in the CDFreaks thread. So I will check it tonight if I have a chance to go to the office to look at it.

jsl wrote:The drive ExtremeMhz tested is a 640c

There's a c model too? Sheesh. Why did ExtremeMhz say 640i then?

jsl wrote:Because I would guess that the 640b is a LG drive based on HP's naming scheme and the firmware version (E152).

Does LG have a Lightscribe drive already? I didn't think it was LG since it didn't support DVD-RAM, but I guess they could have done a non-DVD-RAM firmware for HP. [/i]
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:14 pm

thegdog wrote:There's a c model too? Sheesh. Why did ExtremeMhz say 640i then?

HP calls all its internal drives for i and the external drives for e. The actual drive id is usually something else, see my post here.
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:09 pm

jsl wrote:Because I would guess that the 640b is a LG drive based on HP's naming scheme and the firmware version (E152). It would be nice to see a photo of your drive though but if you don't have any digital camera can you just check if the emergency eject hole on your drive is to the left, exactly in the middle or slightly to the right?

Yeah, it looks like it might be an LG-based drive. The emergency eject hole is to the right.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers