Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Hunter S. Thompson commits suicide

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Hunter S. Thompson commits suicide

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:27 am

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson blew his brains out on Sunday. He was 67.

This is not entirely surprising, knowing his history with guns, alcohol & drugs. I'm waiting to see the results of his autopsy. The contecnts of blood system should shock the pathologist. Or the unwitting lab worker, who will probably double & triple check her work in disbelief.

He was probably the funniest author that I'd read (next to Bill Bryson & Dave Barry) in the last 15 years.

His best known work was "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas". His true book about a trip to an anti-drug conference in Vegas, except he & a buddy took a (car) trunk load of drugs with them to keep them twisted enough to handle the conference...it's also been made into a movie.

One of his better quotes: `For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.'

and:

`When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.'

No doubt the funeral will be a private one, attended by some seriously famous people. Jimmy Buffett & Bill Murray were personal friends. Hunter was very friendly with most of the designers of Bill Clinton's campagin. James Carvell was a recipient of Hunters calls & faxes at all hours of the day or night. Even Clinton was known to spend a few hours on Hunters porch with a glass in hand...

My kids are waking up, so I have to cut this short...
Hunter is survived by his son Juan. He's been married 3 or 4 times.

Hunter is pre-deceased by Richard Nixon. Which no doubt, pleased Hunter greatly :lol:

Check out his writing. It's usually good for a laugh
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Re: Hunter S. Thompson commits suicide

Postby Dartman on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:13 pm

Yeah thats too bad, I guess he'd had enough and getting old probably didn't help his outlook any. I have seen the Fear and loathing movie and I thought it was great, guess I need to get some of his books and really see what he was about and how funny/strange they are.
He will be missed by many of us twisted enough to appriciate his outlook and writings.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:42 pm

I recommend the book: "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" and also "The Curse of Lono". Lono is just about as funny as Fear & Loathing.

Lono is being re-released soon.

Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden