Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Any ideas as to who manufactures TEAC's 12X-52X CD-R?

Burn baby burn!

Any ideas as to who manufactures TEAC's 12X-52X CD-R?

Postby Harrier on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi,
Been seeing a lot of retailers offering TEAC media lately and wondered who manufacture this media?

Last edited by Harrier on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:12 am

I have seen TEAC 16X discs made by CMC. Not sure if all TEAC discs are made by CMC though.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:49 pm

Probally made by MAM(-E) (EX mitsui europe)

Package doesn't look like CMC. And in the past european TEAC retail media has allways had MTSUI atip.

The 16x and 24x media was very good but then again the Mitsui was still running the factory. So I don't know the quality of the current product.
For most products the quality has dropped much after the CSI take over. Still some compannies seem to have been hardly influenced by the take over.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Harrier on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:45 pm

I'm really having a hard time believing that these CD-Rs are made by MAM-E. Never encountered MAM-E CD-Rs here, where I live..
I know they used to be Mitsui but today produce rather moderate CD-Rs...

Another thing: strangely enough the 25 bulk package has a gray base while the 50 media pack has a black base..
While getting that second look I noticed that it says on the package "ultra silvergold reflection" which is, I think MAM-E's "patent"... So maybe.

Anyway, I have updated the pictures (zoom in to read the writings).
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:05 pm

hi Harrier.
why don't you just buy 1 pack? can't be that exensive.
AFAIK Shekem Electric now has a cash-refund return policy. just ask beforehand if they'll accept an unused pack with the shrink-wrap removed.
(too bad Office Depot doesn't carry the TEAC CDRs - their return policy is very friendly).

presonally, i'm more curious as to who makes the TEAC DVDs.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Harrier on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:32 am

Well, i've seen them at a laughable price of 29.90 per 50 pack.
Anyway, Office Depot do sell TEAC CD-Rs.. I've seen it with my own eyes and it even appears to be published on line.

Where did you read of cash-refund policy?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:45 am

Harrier wrote:Well, i've seen them at a laughable price of 29.90 per 50 pack.
Anyway, Office Depot do sell TEAC CD-Rs.. I've seen it with my own eyes and it even appears to be published on line.

Where did you read of cash-refund policy?

hmm...i must've missed them at Office-Depot.

as for Office-Depot's return policy, it's printed on every receipt - you can return items within 30 days (electronics 15 days) no questions asked. with a few limitations of course - books and software cannot be returned.
the product should be in the original packing, but usually they're OK even if the packing is open but it's clearly unused. i've been told this more than once. just make sure to find a nice sales-rep and talk it over with him first to prevent any misunderstandings afterwards.
e.g. i've bought a microphone-earphone set that comes in a sealed, hard plastic package that clearly cannont be 'resealed' to look like unused. i explained i wasn't sure i'll be happy with it (the microphone is on the headset cord) and the sales guy told me no problem if you want just bring it back along with the open plastic packing. (this is just one example).

here you can see the return policy for the online store.
linky
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Harrier on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:07 am

Okay. That sounds fair.
I'll probably buy the TEAC and if it turns out to be a negative experience (test with one cd) i'll return them and get the new 52X Verbatim DataLifePlus (made in India) or the Verbatim DataLife Pastel (made in Japan, picture added).
Attachments
Pastel.jpg
Pastel.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:43 am

i wouldn't count on being able to return the package if you use 1 CD. so think twice about that.
yeah, Office Depot has the Pastel Verbatim DLP Made in Japa = Taiyo Yuden.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Harrier on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:19 pm

I would ask the sale's person before buying "if i end up with coasters etc etc could i return the pack?".
by the way, i'm not sure if those verbatims are high quality since i had a look over at CDFreaks forum where people had variant results using these http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=76069&page=3&pp=25..
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:12 pm

Harrier wrote:by the way, i'm not sure if those verbatims are high quality since i had a look over at CDFreaks forum where people had variant results using these http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=76069&page=3&pp=25..

That was discussed here too. Have a look at this thread: Quality of Taiyo Yuden (Verbatim DataLife Pastel) decrease?. The problems arose mostly on DVD burners.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:57 pm

hey Harrier, did you end up buying any of those TEAC CDRs?
if so where?
how did they work out?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Harrier on Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:38 pm

Still havn't. Not sure i will.
I'll think i should just buy the two kinds of Verbatim CD-Rs in Office Depot: One 50 Pack of Verbatim DLP cert. 52X and another Pastel DL.
With the 50% off the cheaper verbatim product they're having, it would make me a nice deal and a benefit of bot sides: TY and MCC, using whichever i choose.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:13 pm

Harrier wrote:I would ask the sale's person before buying "if i end up with coasters etc etc could i return the pack?".
by the way, i'm not sure if those verbatims are high quality since i had a look over at CDFreaks forum where people had variant results using these http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=76069&page=3&pp=25..

In the case you experience problems with Verbatim media just contact verbatim and they will try to solve it most times.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:57 pm

RJW wrote:
Harrier wrote:I would ask the sale's person before buying "if i end up with coasters etc etc could i return the pack?".

In the case you experience problems with Verbatim media just contact verbatim and they will try to solve it most times.

nice!
well i'm pretty sure Verbatim doesn't have an official presence in Israel.
and i'm sure the local importers aren't as good as that. customer service in Israel still isn't up to standards of Europe and the US.
too bad.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby unclebud on Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:32 pm

i am hard core shopper of od
ain't seen these yet (here)
maybe its test market?