Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Taiyo Yuden 4X DVD-R

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

Taiyo Yuden 4X DVD-R

Postby steelly on Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:00 pm

At Meritline for $31.99 after in store coupon.
http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-4x ... cquer.html
I like burning a 4X!
steelly
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:50 am

wow... not bad! Although actually I get them cheaper here in Canada :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:08 am

Nice deal, plus free shipping. Just ordered a spindle for my father-in-law, thanks. :D
bill
CD-RW Supplier

about meritline

Postby liteonrules on Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:29 am

did u get real TY's and how fast was this company'S shipping. i wanted to order from meritline but i heard too many horror stories about this company MERITLINE.COM
NEC 2500A $20 10/04
NEC 3500AG for $47 4/05
NEC 3540 for $35 9/05
BENQ 1620 for $36 9//05
liteonrules
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:28 am

They'll be real Taiyo Yuden's, but they're Taiyo Yuden's Value Line, not their Premium line. Still pretty darn good media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby liteonrules on Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:39 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:They'll be real Taiyo Yuden's, but they're Taiyo Yuden's Value Line, not their Premium line. Still pretty darn good media.

what the difference? and is it still low error rating? thanks
NEC 2500A $20 10/04
NEC 3500AG for $47 4/05
NEC 3540 for $35 9/05
BENQ 1620 for $36 9//05
liteonrules
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:04 pm

liteonrules wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:They'll be real Taiyo Yuden's, but they're Taiyo Yuden's Value Line, not their Premium line. Still pretty darn good media.

what the difference? and is it still low error rating? thanks

Well, it's hard to get an exact answer out of Taiyo Yuden on that one. But they say it's closer to 'A Grade' media then 'B Grade', but it's not as good as their "Premium Line" media, which is "better then A Grade'. That's almost word for word what they told me when I asked... from my own results, I think they're fine.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:23 pm

how can you tell if TY media you are buying is 'Premium Line' ?

when you're buying rebranded media - Fuji, TDK etc.?
when you're buying TY bulk media online ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:02 pm

dodecahedron wrote:how can you tell if TY media you are buying is 'Premium Line' ?

when you're buying rebranded media - Fuji, TDK etc.?
when you're buying TY bulk media online ?

Well, only the Value Line is being sold under the unbranded Taiyo Yuden name anymore... at least in North America. And there is no Value line for 8x DVDRs yet (again, at least in North America)... so it's pretty easy to tell.

From the complaints I've been seeing regarding Fuji brand Taiyo Yuden, I would say they use something worse then Value line!! But I have no idea.

Another tidbit of info: Taiyo Yuden has said that they are considering discontinuing their 4x DVD-R Value Line product in about 3-4 months. So that means we have about that much time left with the product :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:10 pm

OK to clarify:
Taiyo Yuden has 2 lies - Value Line and Premium Line ?

Well, only the Value Line is being sold under the unbranded Taiyo Yuden name anymore... at least in North America. And there is no Value line for 8x DVDRs yet (again, at least in North America)... so it's pretty easy to tell.

???
is being sold or not being sold? that sentence isn't clear to me.

so...no 8x Value Line, and 4x Value Line being discontinued - does that mean that all TY is gonna be Premium?
and do these comments refer to rebranded stuff like Fuji, TDK, Plextor or only to 'real' TY such as can be bought online ?
also your words seem to imply that there will be 8x Value Line. so if that's true, again how do you tell them apart from the Premium Line ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby hiwass on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:58 am

I've heard that most dvd media don't last longer than a year. Is this true? If so, what about those that have limited lifetime guarantee? some website indicates that yuden media could last for 100 years but the tdk I have only got a one year warranty (and they're yuden). What's the deal? I'm confused.
hiwass
Buffer Underrun

Re: about meritline

Postby bill on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:57 am

liteonrules wrote:did u get real TY's and how fast was this company'S shipping. i wanted to order from meritline but i heard too many horror stories about this company MERITLINE.COM

Yes, Meritline's reputation could be better... luckily I didn't have any problems.

The TYG01's arrived at my house about one week after ordering . Unfortunately I didn't save the scan or the disk that I tested but it burned fine on a NEC 2500.

You probably noticed that Best Buy etc., is selling TYG02 8X media for 40 dollars per hundred if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Good luck
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby bill on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:07 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:From the complaints I've been seeing regarding Fuji brand Taiyo Yuden, I would say they use something worse then Value line!! But I have no idea.

Are you speaking of surface imperfections that could be seen without magnification? I read something about that (in December???) but assumed it was a bad lot.
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:16 am

dodecahedron wrote:OK to clarify:
Taiyo Yuden has 2 lies - Value Line and Premium Line ?

???
is being sold or not being sold? that sentence isn't clear to me.

so...no 8x Value Line, and 4x Value Line being discontinued - does that mean that all TY is gonna be Premium?
and do these comments refer to rebranded stuff like Fuji, TDK, Plextor or only to 'real' TY such as can be bought online ?
also your words seem to imply that there will be 8x Value Line. so if that's true, again how do you tell them apart from the Premium Line ?

I'll try to clarify, sorry!
The following info is true for North America, I have no idea what is happening for other continents. Also, the following info does NOT apply to any OEM name, like Fuji TDK, Maxell... etc. Only unbranded Taiyo Yuden sold as Taiyo Yuden like at Meritline, Rima, and all the big online retailers.

Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-Rs: The only existing product is the Taiyo Yuden Value Line media. No Premium Line media is available for purchase from anywhere, unless they are doing something very weird (like buying from a wholesaler in Japan... but this doesn't happen like you might expect). Taiyo Yuden has said that production of this media will continue for another 3-4 months, and at that point it may be discontinued, depending on the demand for it.

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD±Rs: The only exisiting product type is the Premium Line, there is NO Value Line media for this product type. I do not know if there will be, but I would not be surprised.

Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD±Rs: Same as Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD±Rs.

The following pertains ONLY to Fuji brand Taiyo Yuden products:
Regarding my comment about Fuji, I was meaning complaints I've been hearing from people recently about how some of the media isn't playable after burning, or has playback issues sometimes. I've only heard a few complaints about physical defects in the discs themselves.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:44 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:The following pertains ONLY to Fuji brand Taiyo Yuden products:
Regarding my comment about Fuji, I was meaning complaints I've been hearing from people recently about how some of the media isn't playable after burning, or has playback issues sometimes. I've only heard a few complaints about physical defects in the discs themselves.

OK, thanks.

Regarding play back .. Never really understood if the media was the problem or if the people reporting issues used a bad firmware/drive combination. Any thoughts?
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:56 am

BigMonkey wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:The following pertains ONLY to Fuji brand Taiyo Yuden products:

OK, thanks.

Regarding play back .. Never really understood if the media was the problem or if the people reporting issues used a bad firmware/drive combination. Any thoughts?

Well, the complaints started around the same time, and seem to be coming from both Europe and North America.... I think it's something that either Fuji or Taiyo Yuden screwed up.... and my intial feeling is to look at Fuji.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:37 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
BigMonkey wrote:

OK, thanks.

Well, the complaints started around the same time, and seem to be coming from both Europe and North America.... I think it's something that either Fuji or Taiyo Yuden screwed up.... and my intial feeling is to look at Fuji.

Oh, ok.

Thanks for letting me bounce questions off of you.
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby hiwass on Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:19 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Well, the complaints started around the same time, and seem to be coming from both Europe and North America.... I think it's something that either Fuji or Taiyo Yuden screwed up.... and my intial feeling is to look at Fuji.

BB probably have Fuji on sale next weekend, should i stay away from taiyo fujifilms?
hiwass
Buffer Underrun

Postby elcaset on Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:57 pm

The most important thing to me is how archival media is. After that comes price. But as long as media is 4x or faster, that's plenty fast enough for me.
So, I figured I'd buy the cheapest, slowest Taiyo Yudens I could find. Now, after reading this post, I'm thinking I'll buy the cheapest, slowest TYs that still have good archival potential.

By now, are the 8X TYs the lesser quality line, like the 4X Ty? And if so, then I'll just buy the 4x TYs if the 8X aren't any more archival.

Shop 4 Tech has the best prices on TY DVD-R & TY CD-R right now (they include shipping in their prices, which is more straight forward than the competition). However, from what some folks at Videohelp.com said (in the past, at least), Shop 4 Tech may be more likely to sell falsely branded media than some of the other online sellers. From the posts I've read (on Videohelp.com), it sounds like all of the retailers have done this at times. Are some of these retailers really better than others?

Cheers
Mozilla Firefox browser (free & Open Source) http://www.mozilla.org
elcaset
Buffer Underrun

Postby cbboy777 on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:22 pm

hiwass wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Well, the complaints started around the same time, and seem to be coming from both Europe and North America.... I think it's something that either Fuji or Taiyo Yuden screwed up.... and my intial feeling is to look at Fuji.

BB probably have Fuji on sale next weekend, should i stay away from taiyo fujifilms?

No you shouldn't. I have burned hundreds of Fuji Taiyo Yudens. They all have been excellent. I can only recall one coaster. There was an imperfection in the die after the burn. That's Taiyo's fault on Fuji. All the rest have given me consistently very low errors and failures when burned at 8x. You can burn these discs at 12 and 16 but the quality will decrease but are still much better than other discs burned at 8x.

The stories you heard are from some unfortunate soul who got a bad batch....it happens.

The other alternative is to go to rima.com. Very reputable seller. I believe they still have Taiyo Yuden 8x +/-R for 41 dollars for 100. Shipping is around 5 bucks.
cbboy777
Buffer Underrun

Postby wicked1 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:20 am

I found over at cdfreaks in the bargain basement a deal for 100 TY DVD-R 4X for $25.11 shipped. I ordered some earlier. You can read more about it there.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=143988
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:17 pm

The discs I got ended up being TYG02 8X instead. I ordered 200 originally. Placed a second order for another 200 the next day. I just received them and they too are all TYG02. Cant beat that price. 25 cents a disc.
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:53 am

Probably come in 100pc bulk shrinkwrap bundles right? They may or may not have the "Value DVD-R" sticker on them... I know some stores take them off when they ship them.

Taiyo Yuden's move to sell media with the 8x code, that does not satisfy their 8x standards, only as 4x rated discs, has made them VERY popular with some crowds! :wink:

This product however, is no longer available from Taiyo Yuden now... so enjoy it while you can, it's VERY unlikely for distributors to get any more.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 am

so what's the status now?
only Premium line, no Value line? so all official TY should be their quality Premium stuff ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby wicked1 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:45 am

1The first 200 came shrinkwrapped and said Value discs on them. The second batch of 200 were on spindles and looked identical to the discs I get from rima. I assume they were running out of vfalue discs. I oughta be set for a little while. I have over 600 TY discs alone sitting here plus a few hundred discs from other brands that were purchased in store on sales.
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Hot Deals