Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Booktype

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Booktype

Postby mikepraba on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:24 pm

I know there are alot of talk about booktype settings in this forum. I think almost all of the players manufactured in the past 3-4 years are compatible with +/-. Is there any other advantage having the booktype -ROM setting to manipulate the read the media as DVD? Does DVD-ROM book type impro e the quality at all? Because I am debating about buyin the Pioneer DVR-109. it seems like it is a superior drive except the booktype setting. (even Buffalo has f/w to do this for the drive.) I just bought the Benq 1620 few days ago for 70.00 (canadian) the Pioneer 109 price has come down to 83 dollars today. What do you guys think? Should i go for pioneer? or stick with Benq. I use brand name medias both + and - formats. and I will use the new DVD-RDL when becomes available. Give me your thoughts
mikepraba
CD-RW Thug

Re: Booktype

Postby Boba_Fett on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:52 pm

mikepraba wrote:I know there are alot of talk about booktype settings in this forum. I think almost all of the players manufactured in the past 3-4 years are compatible with +/-. Is there any other advantage having the booktype -ROM setting to manipulate the read the media as DVD? Does DVD-ROM book type impro e the quality at all? Because I am debating about buyin the Pioneer DVR-109. it seems like it is a superior drive except the booktype setting. (even Buffalo has f/w to do this for the drive.) I just bought the Benq 1620 few days ago for 70.00 (canadian) the Pioneer 109 price has come down to 83 dollars today. What do you guys think? Should i go for pioneer? or stick with Benq. I use brand name medias both + and - formats. and I will use the new DVD-RDL when becomes available. Give me your thoughts

The ONLY thing changing the booktype will do is get the DVD past the recognition phase. If a DVD+R (with a booktype of DVD+R) does not work in a DVD player but the same media works with its booktype set to DVD-ROM, then that is all the changing of the booktype did. It does not improve anything beyond that. If your household items can handle DVD+R without changing the booktype then get the Pioneer.
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:11 pm

It's actually not that simple as there are a combination of factors in effect.

For instance:
1. I have two seemingly identical players, call them A and B, both can play videos burned on Made in Japan, Fuji 8X, DVD+Rs with booktype DVD+R (unset). DVDs burned with an NEC ND-3500.

2. Player A can play videos burned on Made in Japan, Fuji 8X, DVD+Rs with booktype DVD+R (unset) or Booktype set to DVD-ROM. DVDs burned with a MicroAdvantage (rebranded AOpen writer) 16X, DL writer.

3. Player B cannot play videos burned on Made in Japan, Fuji 8X, DVD+Rs with booktype DVD+R (unset) or Booktype set to DVD-ROM. DVDs burned with a MicroAdvantage (rebranded AOpen writer) 16X, DL writer.

4. Both players can play videos burned on Made in Japan, Maxell 8X, DVD-Rs with Booktype set to DVD-ROM. DVDs burned with a MicroAdvantage (rebranded AOpen writer) 16X, DL writer.

5. Both players are CyberHome model 300, but have different soft/firmware.

10-4?
roger that?

over and out
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:20 pm

CowboySlim wrote:It's actually not that simple as there are a combination of factors in effect.

For instance:
1. I have two seemingly identical players, call them A and B, both can play videos burned on Made in Japan, Fuji 8X, DVD+Rs with booktype DVD+R (unset). DVDs burned with an NEC ND-3500.

2. Player A can play videos burned on Made in Japan, Fuji 8X, DVD+Rs with booktype DVD+R (unset) or Booktype set to DVD-ROM. DVDs burned with a MicroAdvantage (rebranded AOpen writer) 16X, DL writer.

3. Player B cannot play videos burned on Made in Japan, Fuji 8X, DVD+Rs with booktype DVD+R (unset) or Booktype set to DVD-ROM. DVDs burned with a MicroAdvantage (rebranded AOpen writer) 16X, DL writer.

4. Both players can play videos burned on Made in Japan, Maxell 8X, DVD-Rs with Booktype set to DVD-ROM. DVDs burned with a MicroAdvantage (rebranded AOpen writer) 16X, DL writer.

5. Both players are CyberHome model 300, but have different soft/firmware.

10-4?
roger that?

over and out

Ok, you got me. I should have specified that I was presuming the user was using quality media that was burnt by a competent burner...
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby mikepraba on Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:02 pm

Glad you clarified that. I was confused. I always use brand names like Fuji, Maxell, Verbatim. and Ofcourse I am looking for brand name (poineer) burner as well. What I have used in the past were Nec, Benq, Sony and HP. Benq and nec were good burners. This is the first time I am going towards Pioneer, i like the DVD-/+R DL at 6X and also I heard the compatibility of the media burned with pioneer 109 is really good ( after the New 1.40 F/W update) I bought a Benq 1620 from Futureshop and I am going to return it this week and get the Pioneer. Hope I dont regret.
....... I just need good burner great quality and None of the freezing and skipping.
mikepraba
CD-RW Thug

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Don't be too hasty. Check around the forums at cdfreaks.com. Some there think that the BenQ is a great burner. OTH, a lot of folks think that the Pioneer is good. Those two in addition to the Plextor and NEC are probably the top four.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby mikepraba on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:52 pm

I hear you I have used BenQ 1620 good burner but missing the new DVD-RDL. By purchasing the pioneer 109, I dont have to upgrade anything for the next year or so. iam sure BENQ would bring the new DVD-RDL drive soon. But the pioneer price is fgreat now
avout 80 dollar range. i think pioneer is a great vale with the latest features . only negative comments people had about this was speed. I heard they improved that with their New f/w 1.40. I hope i am not making a mistake here
mikepraba
CD-RW Thug

Postby hoxlund on Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:08 pm

how about burning on dvd-r i have yet to see a device not take it

sidenote, i got my new 16x samsung 616t drive installed in my xbox, im very excited
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:05 pm

hoxlund wrote:sidenote, i got my new 16x samsung 616t drive installed in my xbox, im very excited

I got one too. While expensive, it is very nice to know that I will never have a reading problem with my xbox disks ever again. Well, with the exception that it doesn't read DVD+R without a booktype to DVD-ROM ;)
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:29 pm

i have to find a way to seat it in my custom case, i was just thinking of doing double stick tape, industrial strength

the stuff we use on our security devices at work

but so far im lovin the new drive, although i don't play games from disk, i always copy them to my 250gb hard drive, just faster loading times and its nice not switching disks
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers