Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sakuracon 2005

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Sakuracon 2005

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:38 pm

Some pics from my vacation so far...
Attachments
Photo12.jpg
One of my friends dressed up as "Larva" from the anime "Vampire Princess Miyu". Not sure how Pikachu became involved... :P
Photo12.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Photo16.jpg
Another friend dressed up as the main charactor from the anime "Witch Hunter Robin"
Photo16.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Photo21.jpg
2 fan girls I met at the convention. Most of the girls there were at LEAST this cute.
Photo21.jpg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:44 pm

And a few MORE pics, just for the heck of it....
Attachments
Photo22.jpg
a few more cosplayers I met... by far the best job of Naruto (the orange one) I've seen. The girl actually had custom fangs, claws, and contacts to make herself look like a demon/fox/thingy.
Photo22.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Photo26.jpg
The Cardboard Tube Samurai! A character from penny-arcade.com (a webcomic) which is quite humourus and full of satire. I met the authors of the comic at the Convention as well :-)
Photo26.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Photo31.jpg
A pic of one of the vendors at the convention. As you can see, his clothes must be VERY lucky, as he has MR. SPARKLE to banish dirt to another dimension! :P
Photo31.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:46 pm

anyways, I'm still on vacation technically until Thursday.... but I'm back in my home country again, with computer access. I might poke back in again once or twice, but no guarentees :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:06 pm

You check out the Robotech Shadow Chronicles stuff?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Boba_Fett on Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 am

Yikes, and I thought a Trekkie convention was the ultimate virgin hangout. Seriously, nothing against anime (or naruto in general, kickass show there) but cosplay is just sad... Glad to hear you are enjoying your well earned time off from looking at a CRT all day though :wink:
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:02 am

So Dolph.. who'd you dress up as? :D
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Alejandra on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:40 am

Ian wrote:So Dolph.. who'd you dress up as? :D

A marine mammal? :P
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:49 pm

yeah those girls have to be at least 12, very nice [-X
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:58 pm

hoxlund wrote:yeah those girls have to be at least 12, very nice [-X

Come on.. they look at least 14.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:30 am

Ian wrote:You check out the Robotech Shadow Chronicles stuff?

Of course!! I got to watch some newly finished stuff, including a public service announcement for the UK, done with animation from the new OAV "Shadow Chronicles". I also met with one of the voice actors for it (he played Roy Folker previously).

Right now they have all the recording done for it, and are just working on the pre-animation before they edit and go into full animation and post production. It'll be out later this year, with the full intention to go into a full new series. The SDF-4 is a serious beast! :D

Boba_Fett wrote:Yikes, and I thought a Trekkie convention was the ultimate virgin hangout. Seriously, nothing against anime (or naruto in general, kickass show there) but cosplay is just sad... Glad to hear you are enjoying your well earned time off from looking at a CRT all day though

Ultimate virgin hangout? You seriously misunderstand anime fanatics :wink: As for Cosplay, I would say about half of the 5,000 people or so who attended were in costumes... maybe slightly less. It was pretty amazing. Probably the most crazed costume I saw was the tentacle beast... that one was nuts!!

Sadly, my own costume did not come together properly in time, so I was one of the non-cosplayers :(

I'm quite looking forward to going to my next anime convention, which will be in late August. It's amazing to see how much anime has become a big thing both here in Vancouver and also in Seattle.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:54 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"At sakuramonacon I am super powared!"

No.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:10 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm quite looking forward to going to my next anime convention, which will be in late August. It's amazing to see how much anime has become a big thing both here in Vancouver and also in Seattle.

Probably because the Japanese own a good portion of it? I still remember the first time I went to Vancouver. A lot of the signs were in Japanese first, then English. Sometimes French before English.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Ian wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm quite looking forward to going to my next anime convention, which will be in late August. It's amazing to see how much anime has become a big thing both here in Vancouver and also in Seattle.

Probably because the Japanese own a good portion of it? I still remember the first time I went to Vancouver. A lot of the signs were in Japanese first, then English. Sometimes French before English.

Actually, it's Chinese, and then English. The Japanese sections of Vancouver are very small and limited... and most Japanese stores and centres are actually run by Chinese people :o They love getting in on the Japanese Anime bootleg market :evil: (I *DON'T* like bootlegged anime). As for French before English... that's unusual. It happens, but it is VERY VERY rare on this side of Canada. In Toronto, or in Quebec that would be more normal. In some places in Vancouver, there *IS* no english on signs... only Chinese. Makes me wish I could understand chinese... :roll:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:22 pm

I was found it funny how Japan's department of tourism has those vans full of people, driving all over. I always imagined they're looking for realestate.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to The Beer Garden